PDA

View Full Version : Really low today - so worried it's gallstones now:-(

Lissy43
13-03-10, 09:54
OK little recap - I started with IBS and wind pains 12 weeks ago, after my GP telling me constantly that it was just IBS or wind, they did a test for helicobacter which was positive. I had the triple therapy which left me feeling rather drained. I was then ok, ish for a few weeks, just mild tummy pains, but 2 weeks ago I started with nasty wind low down, stabbing up my bottom (tmi), wind feeling all in my back, ribs, my throat and occasional stabbing in my right shoulder blade. I don't seem to have stomach pains, sometimes I get very low down bubbling and bloating which I know is my bowel and is my IBS. I get pains all in my ribs, but all up my back?? my stomach doesn't hurt to touch at all, it seems to just be all in my back and sometimes I feel the pressure up in my throat. Hiccuping does relieve it abit.

My GP 6 weeks ago refered me for an ultrasound to rule out gallstones as I had a little niggle under right rib, but ive not had that since. I am still waiting, it's aparently a 12 week wait for the ultrasound:blush:

Today I woke up riddled with wind, trumpy and hiccuping (I am like this every day anyway, tmi). Since last night I have had stabbing pains in my rectum, passing wind helps the pain:blush: I then suddenly had bad pain in my right shoulder, it didn't feel like wind really. It hurt more as I moved my arm in circular motions. I was doing my hair and noticed as I moved my right arm it really made the pain worse. I thought it could be muscular but at times it didn't hurt.

I just had a low moment and cried to hubby, told him I have had enough of feeling like this. He said it is breaking his heart seeing me suffer so much. I have had 13 weeks of bad luck now and it is all taking its toll on me. I feel quite low and anxious due to the not knowing what is now wrong with me.

I have seen my GP regular since the helicobacter treatment I saw him this week and he just said I have to wait for the scan, and there was nothing he could do for the severe wind pains I am having. His words were 'if i had a treatment for wind, id be a very rich man, and I would't be sat here':mad:

It isn't that I am anxious causing the symptoms or imagining them, it is that being ill for so long has run me down and my mood is so low. Imagine waking up every day in pain, suffering with wind no matter what you take or what you eat, it's not nice:weep:

My GP tells me im not a candidate for gallstones being very slim, petite, good diet etc... but I guess these things can happen to anyone. I just feel low because I don't know why I am suffering so much and why I would be ridded with wind so much:weep:

Sorry to moan, I just feel so down today about it all, and I guess quite worried now.

Cat80
14-03-10, 11:13
Hiya, so sorry you are having a rough time at the moment.

I honestly don't think it is gallstones though. The pain in your right shoulder definately sounds muscular. When it happens again get your husband to press quite firmly where the pain is a see if it hurts, if it does it's more than likely a muscle that's been pulled or going into spasm.

With gallstones you can get pain in your right shoulder but the pain is usually during a gallstones attack. The pain would not just be painful but excrutiating. At the same time you would have pain in between your shoulder blades (really sharp stabbing that hurts so much that you can't breathe) and also pain all under your right rib. The pain has been described as bad as child birth. You would also either be being sick or be feeling very sick.

People get aches and pains all the time but because we have health anxiety suddenly think of the worst thing it could possibly be. Like me I have frequent pain really low down on the right hand side (where my appendix is) and it's a stabbing pain. I've had this on and off for 2 years now and everytime think it's either my appendix or my ovary going to burst. But then I tell myself if I've had this for 2 years and it's vry unlikely it's going to be anything serious after that amount of time.

When you get these twinges try doing something that takes your mind off it, like playing with your kids, watching a movie or cooking a meal etc.

You know where I am if you ever need to chat.

oneofus
14-03-10, 12:05
JessiacaLil,

I'd agree with Cat80. I had gallstones around two years ago, and with the one bad attack I had I was barely able to walk.

Gallstones attacks are caused when the gall bladder contracts and pushes gallstones down the gallbladder. Since the substance recycled by the gall bladder is only used to regulate fat digestion such attacks are correlated with eating fatty foods eg cream cakes.

If you do get an attack call NhsDirect, the nurse there gave me advice based on her own experience and had me back on my feet downstairs watching StarTrek with an hour.

Nick

racdun
14-03-10, 12:17
After all the use of antibiotics have you gone on any acidophilus or replacing the good bacteria. I have the same problems with my stomach since Christmas, putting it down to quitting smoking because it causes fluctuations in gut flora for a while. I would suggest going on a course of the acidophilus, a stomach massage you can do yourself is always helpful for getting the wind moving, cause that wind is so bothersome it causes the worst pain and spasms in my abdomen. I am slowly improving, bad days here and there. Started accupuncture a few weeks ago, that is helping. After the second session I had a load of wind come up and felt great going home. Did nothing but pass wind all evening as well ( which I could never do) and felt good for a few days till it started building up again. Hope it improves
Rachael

mike-uk
14-03-10, 13:01
My sister in law had gallstones and I regularly witnessed her having terrible attacks. The pain was obviously excrutiating for her. So I also doubt that is the problem there. Now its been conformed my other sister in law has them too!

I doo feel for you. It's the not knowing part that is so hard to endure and very frustrating for us.

worry_bunny
14-03-10, 14:58
I had gallstones 2 years ago believe me you would know if it was gallstones lol :wacko:

with the problems you are having no wonder you feel so run down but it sounds like you have got a great hubby giving you lots of support :hugs:

The only thing I can suggest is perhaps a trip to somewhere like holland and barratt to see if they can reccomend something that might relieve the discomfort a bit at least until you can get your scan done.

Typer
14-03-10, 17:19
After all the use of antibiotics have you gone on any acidophilus or replacing the good bacteria. I have the same problems with my stomach since Christmas, putting it down to quitting smoking because it causes fluctuations in gut flora for a while. I would suggest going on a course of the acidophilus, a stomach massage you can do yourself is always helpful for getting the wind moving, cause that wind is so bothersome it causes the worst pain and spasms in my abdomen. I am slowly improving, bad days here and there. Started accupuncture a few weeks ago, that is helping. After the second session I had a load of wind come up and felt great going home. Did nothing but pass wind all evening as well ( which I could never do) and felt good for a few days till it started building up again. Hope it improves
Rachael

I was going to say the same. It will be the antibiotics. Drink 2 or 3 Yukults a day for a few days and then one every day till it feels better

Cat80
14-03-10, 17:23
Try those new bio fruit corner yoghurts, they may help with the wind. I would never recommend Activia yoghurts, they are dreadful and leave you feeling so ill so stay away from them (they are having a lawsuit bought against them). The bio fruit corner or for me the vitality yoghurt drinks were great.

Typer
14-03-10, 17:31
really, a law suit?

I took them every day when I was on antibiotics and they saved me a lot of visits to the toilet. Now I need to know more Cat.

Typer
14-03-10, 17:34
Oh its okay I just found it. The law suit is for false advertising but I cant find anything saying they make people ill though.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN237176420080124

I only have the Yukult ones

Cat80
14-03-10, 17:40
Hiya Typher, I was on them for 2 weeks like suggested. Within 2 or 3 days I was getting the worst bloating, nausea (could barely eat) sweating, cramps, really tired etc. I thought maybe it was a bug so carried on eating the yogurts. I was still like this just over a week in a knew it wasn't a bug. The only thing in my diet that had changed was eating 2 activia yoghurts a day so I googeled activia and nausea, I was shocked at the thousands of pages that came up with thousands of people saying how ill they made them. I stopped taking them immediately and it took a good couple of weeks for my stomach to recover (still don't feel quite right)

http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/2008/01/activia-tries-t.html

Typer
14-03-10, 17:49
Oh Wow Cat, how horrible that must have been. My neighbour says she cannot eat them or the Yukults ether.

Its good to warn people this can happen.

Lissy43
14-03-10, 21:01
Thank you all so much, your replies have helped me alot. I feel abit more positive now that I don't have them.

I had a roast dinner today for Mothers Day, lots of scrummy veg, gravy etc.... and I had no pains at all (usually my IBS flares up) and I was thinking if I did have gallstones they would have caused alot of pain after a meal like that I'm sure;-)

I think it was muscular yesterday Cat, today it has gone. I must have made a sudden movement when straightening my hair, was bladdy painful, haha!