PDA

View Full Version : Mirtazipine as a preventative

JT69
13-03-10, 20:15
Hi Does anyone know if mirtazipine can be taken in its lowest dose as a preventative??? Jo.

KK77
13-03-10, 21:31
At 15mg it may help anxiety and sleep but not sure about depression Jo.

Redrainbow
13-03-10, 21:35
Not sure, anyone suffering serious weight gain from it??? I have heard lots of horror srories.

JT69
14-03-10, 16:11

Hi melancholia, So would you say that it would be best to stay at 30mg (for future ref) as a preventative and do you know if mirtazipine is safe to be taken long term? Do you take this medication? Thanks Jo.

smudger
14-03-10, 16:29
Not sure, anyone suffering serious weight gain from it??? I have heard lots of horror srories.

Wayne, I gained 10 pounds in weight since xmas! Does that answer your question?

smudger
14-03-10, 16:31

Helped my depression at this low dose, don't know about preventative doses, never heard of this Jo. I guess the only way to find out is by trial and error but only on docs guidance.

sunshine-lady
14-03-10, 17:07
I have taken Mirtazapine for many years, currently taking 30mg but have been up to 45mg in the past. I also take other medications. For me Mirtazapine has been the best antidepressant I have taken. I did have slight issues to start with, but nowhere near what I experienced with other meds and any side effects I did have settled down within a few weeks.

30 - 45mg is the therapeutic dose for managing depression, not heard of people using 15mg as a preventative dose, but it would certainly be worth asking your Dr about it.

Take care xx

JT69
14-03-10, 17:14
Hi Di

Thanks for that...have missed you on-line. Am glad to hear that you have taken mirtazipine for some years...as I know that with my past history I am going to have to continue with meds for some time to ensure I do not have the same thing happen to me that I just have. I had previously taken citalopram for about 8 years mostly at 20mg but sometimes dropping to 10mg when having a good spell and then 30mg when having a bad spell. As they were not sucessful for me this time and mirtazipine has been (fingers crossed so far....but will comment again when I am back to work) i had started to wonder if I would have to wean off it or if it would be o.k to continue taking it.

Hope you are well and enjoying mothers day!!!

Love Jo.xx

KK77
14-03-10, 17:59
Hi melancholia, So would you say that it would be best to stay at 30mg (for future ref) as a preventative and do you know if mirtazipine is safe to be taken long term? Do you take this medication? Thanks Jo.

I would have thought 30mg would be the best dose for prevention Jo. 15mg is considered the starting dose but helps sleep and anxiety IMO. I wasn't on it for long because of the side effects.

Best to speak to a psychiatrist or knowledgeable GP but it's trial and error really: if you find 15mg is not helping then increase it to 30.

Hope that helps.

ElizabethJane
14-03-10, 19:41
My psychiatrist has told me that 15mg is not a therapeutic dose. I think that the maintenance dose is 30mg. This is in line with what others have told you. I was taking dothiepin for sixteen years and I regard that as a long time. I worry less about being on mirtazapine than I do on lithium but I am checked regularily. I would hope that our doctors/psychiatrists would let us know of any risks involved of long term usage and would switch us to something else. That is the best we can do and stay aware of any noticable changes. I had fairly long term of fertility drugs too so wish me well...

JT69
14-03-10, 21:38
I would have thought 30mg would be the best dose for prevention Jo. 15mg is considered the starting dose but helps sleep and anxiety IMO. I wasn't on it for long because of the side effects.

Best to speak to a psychiatrist or knowledgeable GP but it's trial and error really: if you find 15mg is not helping then increase it to 30.

Hope that helps.
Hi meloncholia, Just curious to which of the side effects made you discontinue mirtazipine.

I am currently taking 30mg increased just over a week ago.

JO.

JT69
14-03-10, 21:41
My psychiatrist has told me that 15mg is not a therapeutic dose. I think that the maintenance dose is 30mg. This is in line with what others have told you. I was taking dothiepin for sixteen years and I regard that as a long time. I worry less about being on mirtazapine than I do on lithium but I am checked regularily. I would hope that our doctors/psychiatrists would let us know of any risks involved of long term usage and would switch us to something else. That is the best we can do and stay aware of any noticable changes. I had fairly long term of fertility drugs too so wish me well...

Thanks for that ElizabethJane, I was on citalopram for around 9 years too. I am sure you will be fine but I do wish you well. Jo.

KK77
14-03-10, 22:43
Hi meloncholia, Just curious to which of the side effects made you discontinue mirtazipine.

I am currently taking 30mg increased just over a week ago.

JO.

I was eating like a pig and it gave me restless legs at night :lac:

Hope you do well though. Some people seem to do well on it and I think it's a good AD if you can tolerate it.