PDA

View Full Version : sinusitis and headaches

Darren76
10-01-06, 20:33
had sinusitis for a while now and am on my second course of antibiotics....went to see doctor on monday who gave them to me...i mentioned to him i was getting headaches on the right side of my head (at the top) and he kinda dismissed it.

i know sinusitis can cause pain above the eyes, around the nose/cheeks etc but its a sharp stabbin pain on the top of my head and wondered if nayone who may have had this has experienced it......have called NHS direct and am awaiting a callback but am starting to worry it maybe somehting worse than it is and am having to tyop eall this and deep breath just to stop mysefl from having a full blown PA

the 2 paracetamol ive taken are doin nothin for the pain and 'cos im on citalopram, i cant take any ibuprofen

anyone else been thru this?

nell1965
10-01-06, 22:14
Hi your sphenoid sinuses cause you to have pain on the top of your head and the base of your skull,this can be a sharp pain or a dull ache depending on whats causing the pain ,if its a vacuum of air or secretions,try not worry about it im sure its just related to your sinuses,paracetamol never touched mine either and there is probably a degree of tension head there too
take care

I just want my life back
nell
x

Alice
11-01-06, 00:09
Hi darren

I get recurrent sinusitis and the worst of it is the headaches, i dont get much pain behind the eyes but i get the pain on the top of my head, all along the top and sometimes its agony and i cant do anything. I can tell when its due to sinusitis because it gets worse if i bend over, and if i sneeze its like an explosion of pain in my head!

I usually use hot packs and cold packs on my head to try and ease the pain, parecetamol never work, try some migraleve and decongestant. Lie down and try to relax other wise itll turn into a tension headache, if over the counter painkillers arent working ask your doc for some prescription ones, i used to be prescribed co-proximal will wiped it out completely, but theyve withdrawn them dammit, if i get really desperate i take a valium and that seems to help the pain a bit too!
hope you feel better soon
alice x

looby
11-01-06, 00:31
hi darren,

I suffered from constant sinusitus for about 18 months. they tried me on every kind of anti biotics and pain killers but it just wouldn't shift. I ended up going private, which cost about £60 (which is a lot but was worth it!). The consultant did an allergy test and found I was alergic to everything (oh except trees!!!!!) he sent me for a CT scan and found that my sinuses were completely blocked. They tried me on various nasal sprays too but they didn't work so I ended up having an op done on them and it was the best thing ever!
Yes I was terrified but they were really really good. Yes things can go wrong but they didn't and they found quite a fw problems with my nose while they were operating. I know feel fantastic, and I CAN SMELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the best thing about it. I know it sounds weird but after 18 months of not smelling things like coffee and chocolate, when u get your sense of smell back, it is the best thing ever!!!
I used to get headaches and not be able to lift my head up because it felt so sore and heavy. I was terrified. it hurt so much.
After the op though it hurt a bit, and now and agian it hurts in the cold, but you feel so much better.
So don't give up the antibiotics cos they may work.

Have you got a nasal spray? If not ask you GP for 1. They are cracking!!!!

Hope this helps

Looby
xxx

sassy187
21-01-06, 17:04
hi there i always have pains in my head and they really scare me loads but they rekon it is tension or migraine or sinus problems??? but i am on citalapram and i take ibruprophen??? they never said i couldnt? and i have never had a problem??? did they say why you couldnt?

sassy xxx

sassy

Meg
21-01-06, 22:37
I would be interested in why you can't take SSRI and occassional ibroprofen

You could try a hopi ear candle therapist. They can really relieve blocked sinuses and associated headaches.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Darren76
22-01-06, 22:24
it was something i read on the citalopram leaflet - not to take any NSAID's if your on citalopram and ibuprofen is one of those

hence limiting myself to paracetamol

Meg
22-01-06, 22:32
ok , I've not seen that before.

Darren76
22-01-06, 23:00
looks like the leaflet was updated recently...and espec at present, dont wanna taek any chances

Chardonay
23-01-06, 08:51
Hi Darren,

I have suffered with my sinuses for years,but have only got worse since moving house were we now have cetral heating and gas.I do get the bad head with the pain on the left side.
to which are bad and have to go to bed.Like yourself I have to ask before I by any pills as to what goes with my pills.
I also find a vicks nasal stick helps as it clears your head,trouble I have is it makes me sneeze none-stop.
Good luck you will get there.
Chardonnay.

Tall dark and mysterious was his name,
magic love and money was his game.

Beauty is a real thing, not just a reflection in the mirror