PDA

View Full Version : Pea sized umps behind ears, lymph nodes, can they be normal?

louise123_uk
14-03-10, 18:11
I have a pea sized lump behindeach ear, about maybe half way up behind my ear on my head. They are in roughly same place on either side. I also have a pea sized bump on either side just under ear lobes. I have always had these as long as I can remember, maybe first noticed them when was about 14 or 15 (am 26 now).

I have read that they are lymph nodes, but I shouldnt be able to feel them should I? My mum doesnt have these behind her ears,. neither does my dad!!

I asked the doc about them about a month ago and she had a quick feel behind my ears and said oh theyre just lymph nodes, and pea sized doesnt mean theyre enlarged much really, basically I can feel mine but others cant because were all different (this is a fav things docs have told me about other things like asymmetrical tonsils) and Imnot sure if its just t shut me up. I really didnt think you should be able to feel them!
Plus she said just after saying you can feel yours cos were all different tht maybe you have a very slight virus you don know about, but that doesnt fit as ive always been able to feel them! Confused why if its normal for me to feel them because this is the way my body is would she then say maybe you have a slight virus you dont know about (suggesting they must be slightly enlarged and not normal if I can feel them).

Just seemed like she was contradicting herself with saying theyre normal but then maybe you have a slight virus!
Im worried could be some kind of cancer as Ive read it can spread to your lymph nodes and this is how people often find out about a cancer in their body (my dads friend has just found out frm a lymph node in his neck that he has cancer elsewhere in his body)

You hear about docs not picking up on stuff all the time, hence my worry my pea sized lymph nodes are something sinister! Has anyone else got these lumps and and can alway feel them? They dont really stand out as lump but I can feel them under the skin!

Rachel W
15-03-10, 00:08
If you have always been able to feel them then this is just how you are built. Also, I have heard that lymph nodes less than 1/2 and inch are not swollen.

I go through the same worries, but I have a lump on one side of my neck that feels like a fatty lump and I know, just like you that it has not changed for years (since a teenager), so I know that it is nothing to worry about.

The doctor was just going through things that it could be but as they are the same then they would not be caused by anything except just the way you are built. You are absolutely fine!

louise123_uk
30-03-10, 13:40
Yeah, im hoping this is the case that its just how Im built, otherwise my lymph nodes have been swollen permanantly which doesnt sound good at all :-(