PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks before meals

jh
14-03-10, 22:11
I know this will sound really random but have started to suffer from panic attacks before I eat meals. I dread going out for meals as I know as just my food is brought out I can feel myself burning up/ feeling sick and starting to shake for no reason and feel I have to try and rush my food as I don't want others to notice what is happening.

Apart from at these times I don't suffer from panic attacks and feel so stupid that this happens to me. I am generally a happy and optimistic person but this is beginning to get me down.

I think I struggle with this so much as it is so random and just want to solve it as the only thing I really fear is the fear of having a panic attack!!

KK77
14-03-10, 23:17
I suppose once we have a panic attack over something, it repeats itself in that situation again and again. PAs are the same - no matter what the "cause" may be. So there's nothing random about it really. It has to be treated in the same way all PAs are treated - with psychotherapy and/or meds.

It's important to speak to a doctor about this if you haven't already and discuss treatment for it because the longer it's left untreated the worse it gets.

Welcome to the forum and hope you feel better soon.

Vanilla Sky
14-03-10, 23:23
Just wanted to welcome you to NMP :welcome: Paige x

mary1
15-03-10, 02:22
hi hon..just wanted to tell you that this thing happenes to me too..i also feel soo anxious before meal and i try to rush to end my meal sometimes i don't even finish it coz i don't wana end up having a panic attack even if i don't feel full :( sometimes i do feel so hungry and feel so happy that m gonna eat all my meal but as soon as i put the first peice in my mouth i get anxious and then leave the table !! it's all here in our mind hon!! we should stop this by face the fear and try to finish the meal. I am trying this now it is getting better i think lol not always though!! but keep trying coz it will work :) wish you all the best xxx

alihud
15-03-10, 05:57
I get this too but at any large meal as it usually makes me feel too full and this leads to panic and being sick :( so now i only eat small meals which suits me better and means i dont get these awful feelings it really is horrible so i feel for you.
Ali xx

jh
16-03-10, 20:05
Hi thank you for all your responses particularly mary. I think it is just a case of perservering but feel a lot better now. I bet it would be fun if we went out for a meal together lol. I know that isn't funny but I think the sooner I face it properly the better I'll feel and the feeling that not being alone I think has given me the strength to do this.

Dolan1989
17-03-10, 10:41
I had this really badly when I first started, tothe point I wouldn't eat. The reason for it was because before i realised it was panic attacks i was having it happened to be around food when I got them.

The first time was when I'd organised a big fancy university ball, I felt sick as soon as I had my first bite. I had to rush to the toilet before my boyfriend left his meal to cone and retrieve me and take me home.

The second time was when I was with all my boyfriends friends for a xmas meal. I ended up cancelling my main and jsut sitting there with my cold soup starter in front of me.

As its been over a year now, you know you have to eat so you force yourself through it. I don't eat out much anymore but it doesn't bother me too much. Other times, I'm so hungry I dont care.

I was working with a primary school the other day and I was so hungry i sat down and ate my dinner (loads of it). It wasn't until afterwards that I realised that i'd jsut sat and eaten in a room with about 40 strangers!

Just thought i'd let you know so that you could see there was light at the end of the tunnel :-)