PDA

View Full Version : EFT. Anxiety cure? try it.

paulgray
11-02-04, 23:58
I am 36 and have suffered from Panic attacks since I was 21. When I first went to my GP with the problem, he said it was because I had a stressful job. I was given a two-page handout describing the fight or flight mechanism and left. For the next couple of years I suffered more and more panic attacks and started to either avoid a lot of situations or self medicate with alcohol.

Eventually things got so bad that I quit my job and set about trying alternative medicine. After one year off, a lack of funds and no real improvement in my condition got me working again. Over that ten years period I tried:

Hypnotherapy
Psychotherapy
Clinical Psychology
Transcendental meditation
Chinese Herbal

Therapy did uncover for me that it was probably a drunken car accident a few months before my 1st panic attack that set the ball rolling panic wise. But that there were many aspects before that could have caused problems.

Not one of these therapies worked. Eventually I got the Internet here and did my own research. Went to my Doctor and asked to be put on Propranalol (beta blocker) and then found Kava Kava the anti anxiety herb. Finally I felt I had some control, I gained confidence in situations that even though I might feel very anxious and uncomfortable it wasn’t going to always become a full-blown panic attack.

However Kava was then banned and I substituted this for Valerian which numbed my senses a bit and made me sleepy. I still avoided things like motorways and trains and cinemas.

Then two weeks ago I discovered EFT. It has changed my life. I now take only one Propranol instead of 3 a day. No valerian. No Kava and no alcohol. To test it on Monday I got the train to London, with no meds, walked around for 2 hours and came home. This would have been unthinkable for me 3 weeks ago.

The website is www.emofree.com
The system has been developed from Dr. Roger Calahan’s TFT. But is more user friendly and doesn’t cost $1500.00 to learn. The site has loads of info and a free manual to download. Pages 20/28 are worth printing as they have the bare bones of the system. Though I would suggest reading it all. As although it is a simpl but powerful tool the basics must be done correctly.

paulgray
12-02-04, 00:21
Belated apologies to nicola. She has this topic covered in her therapies section. However. I am a 1st hand witness that it can work.

benoo5
12-02-04, 00:58
welcome paul,

i can see your going to be a great help to our site....its really great to have positive vibes.

as you have found out,EFT has been covered on here...but we were asking for anyone with personal experience of it,to come forward...and here you are!

please go into detail,as to exactly wot you have done, for you to travel to london,and walked around,says a lot for EFT..tell us your story...well done matey...best wishes bryan.

paulgray
12-02-04, 10:19
Hi Benoo5,

Thanks for the welcome.

As i said in conversation with Nicola yesterday. if I wasnt sure it could be of benefit to many of your members I wouldnt mention it. As we have all had false dawns and false hopes. especially me with most 'alternative therapy'.

The reason I gave this a go was mostly because He gives away the manual for free. I figured that it must be genuine and work in a lot of cases or noone would go further and buy the course. Though I must add, I had such good results that I did indeed buy the course and 60 Dollars for 12 or so cd/dvd to study on ones computer, is very good value.

The premise is that all negative emotions are caused by an energy ' glitch' in the system. tap away the glitch by tapping the designated points on the body, whilst thinking of the negative emotion and it will neutralise that negative energy.

it does sound a bit out there but. Try this. Stand with your arm outstretched sideways and your other hand placed on the top of your head. Then get someone to push down on it and fight against it with ur arm. feel the strength. Then do the same procedure. with the hand on ur head flipped over so the back of your hand is touching the top of your head. get the person to push down on the arm. feel how weak it is.this shows the positive and negative energy in the body. this procedure will also work if you say ' My name is (your name). u are strong in that arm. Say you are called someting else and it goes weak. Try it its fun.

paulgray
12-02-04, 10:56
Cont.

So I read the manual. And did the procedure. This consists of rubbing a sore spot high up on your chest to make sure you are not negatively alligned ( weak arm)whilst saying a statement about the emotion/ event to tune your subconcious into the problem.

then a round of tapping whilst reapeating a shorter reminder phrase about the issue. then a thing called the gamut procudure which seems a little weird but furthuer tunes both sides of the brain in to waht you are doing. then tap a round again.

So far, i have tapped for unkown anxiety as it comes and reduced it from intensity of say 5/10 to 0/10 I have tapped on specific memories where the emotion has become supressed but probably caused problems. I have tapped on memories that had an intensity of 8 to 9/10. like grief, sadness etc. And the procedure has always worked for me.

In the case of panic attacks and agrophobia there is rarely just one event to tap on, as there often is with a specific phobia. also some events will have many aspects to it.

for example. u can tap away a fear of spiders. but if u then saw a spider MOVING, the anxiety might coem back, so u tapp on a fear of moving spiders.etc..

you kind of learn as you go along.

Most of my emotions from memories are supressed, ie, I dont get an intensity when thinking of them. With eft this is ok. as by hitting all the energy points we are stomping all over the negative emotion. Another quirky and interesting thing about it is. as you collapse one negative memory often whilst yout tapping, yout thoughts will go to the next one, like the next highest tree in a forest. this is a good sign that u have dealt with that issue.

Please download the manual and give it a try. theres a link on this site.

diana
12-02-04, 14:13
Hiya Paul,

Welcome aboard!!!! and thanks for all of the positive feedback from the EFT method. I actually have heard of it, but have not tried it. However since you have had such a positive experience, I am sure to go the the site you provided and download the manual. I am glad that you have found a system that is working for you. Well done on the traveling and walking around for 2 hours. As a sufferer myself I know what an accomplishment that is for us. Keep up the good work, and keep posting on your progress. We love hearing success stories.

Take care,

Diana xxxxx

nomorepanic
12-02-04, 14:59
Just to let you all know that the EFT page isn't on my site yet - it is coming soon in a new Therapies web page - so watch this space!

Nicola

paulgray
12-02-04, 15:29
Im sorry Nicola. I thought I saw it on here yesterday, when u sent me that link

benoo5
12-02-04, 16:28
thanks for the info paul,ive been interested in EFT for many years..i know theres something to it,because the basics are thousands of years old..with ying,and yang etc..i shall certainly spend some time,looking at your link...best wishes...bryan.

mico
12-02-04, 16:33
Thanks for taking the time out to tell us about this Paul, I don't really know much about this but I'm going to take a look at the site and see what it's all about.

If anyone else has had any experiences with this type of therapy, positive or negative, I would be interested in hearing about it.

mico

Meg
12-02-04, 17:19
If anyone wants to try this but feel they need a guiding hand , then itºs part of what kiniesologists practice as weºve discussed on a previous thread .
I know a good one near Derby and most health shops carry a local list of alternative practicioners .

It can be of great and lasting benefit to some people but as we well know from previous posts not all treatments help everyone, so if it's good for you great, but do not get despondant and miserable if it doesnºt work for you.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

diana
12-02-04, 19:35
Thanks for all of the posts surrounding the EFT method. It`s something to consider and try that`s for sure. As it may work for some of us, but like you say Meg we must`nt get side tracked if we try and it does`nt work for some of us. I guess just like some meds and supplements everyone has different experiences with different things. Some work, some do not. No harm in trying/experimenting. For those of us who do give it a go. Do come and post to let us all know what you experienced. Good luck all.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

nomorepanic
12-02-04, 22:50
quote:Originally posted by paulgray

Im sorry Nicola. I thought I saw it on here yesterday, when u sent me that link

Paul - you had a free sneak preview ;)

Nicola

paulgray
13-02-04, 00:19
aha

sadie
13-02-04, 20:34
Hi Paul,

I too have used EFT to help combat my anxiety. I bought a great book which easily explains its main functions etc and I did feel it greatly reduced my tension and anxiety. I will give the website you mentioned a look though. You can never have too much information!!!

sadie

paulgray
13-02-04, 22:34
Hi sadie. You are right. can never have too much good info

paulgray
17-02-04, 18:22
Hi guys ,

I was just wondering if anyone that replied to my EFT gush has as yet tried it for themselves?

For my part. Things have moved on.My wife always wanted us to join a gym. But i felt too anxious most of the time. tooo aware of the heart rate etc. But we have now joined and I have already been twice. I am even liking the heart rate monitors and now seeing them logically as a good thing. A safe thing.

during my 1st go on the stairmaster I felt a little anxious. Too be expected after 15 years of being scared of exercise. ( And i was sweating like a race horse) I tapped on the aniety meridien points and it subsided. that night I did two rounds of tapping re fear of exertion, heart attack etc. And when I went back again things were ok.

All the best

paul

nomorepanic
17-02-04, 21:09
Hi Paul

Great news about the gym - that will do you the world of good and you will get fit and slim too.

I haven't had time to try it yet but I will do some research into it and I know a few others already have tried it.

Keep us posted how you are doing ok?

Nicola

paulgray
17-02-04, 22:31
Thanks.

:)will do nicola

diana
19-02-04, 00:50
GREAT NEWS Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :), keep up the good work. I am so happy for you. I have not yet tried it, but plan on it very soon, after I gather all the info. I need to proceed. Sounds like it is the right method for you mate. Keep it up. Keep us posted as to how you are progressing.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

paulgray
19-02-04, 09:07
I did a 45 minute aquafit class yesterday. started offwaiting for the panic to come, especially as I started getting hotter but it never came.

real test will be flying to spain next week. can i do the flight without 2 pints 3 vodkas and valerian. time will tell lol

diana
19-02-04, 15:20
Good for you Paul!!!!!! :). That is great news. I am sure you will be able to do the flight without any of those things. Post to let us know how you do on the flight, I know it will go great. Is the trip to Spain leisure or business? Have you been before? I hope you enjoy your trip.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

benoo5
19-02-04, 15:49
well done paul,

your life does seem to be improving,on a daily basis,great news about the gym,so good for panic.

ime still reading up about EFT,i found a site some months ago,that showed the points you tap,but it was late into the nite,and i didnt make a note of the site,now i cant find it!

spain is not a long journey,and will give you a chance to test the EFT,also relaxation,and distraction techniques,but by the time you have sorted out the duty free,you will be landing.

keep up the great work...best wishes..bryan.

Laurie28
19-02-04, 16:13
Bryan,

Sadie done a piece on EFT it is under Panic - Emotional Freedom Technique - it has all the points etc in that

Good Luck

Take Care
lucky

paulgray
20-02-04, 18:46
bryan

www.emofree.com is gary craigs own site. there is loads of info specifically on applying it to anxiety

diana
23-02-04, 05:10
Heya Paulgray,

Thanks for the website. I too will check it out.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

panic140671
06-03-04, 10:50
Hi Paul,

I was just wondering how you were getting on with EFT. I have started it and I can see a big difference in my just after the first session. Let us know if it is still working.

diana
08-03-04, 19:25
Hiya Panic140671,

Good News!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear the EFT is working for you.

Keep us posted as you go along, to let us know how you are progressing.

Good Luck with the EFT.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

paulgray
09-03-04, 09:30
Hi all, just returned from holiday. eft worked well for the flight. in fact I have never had such a well rfelaxed holiday. I was calm before then flight, didnt drink or take meds. the only thing was, i couldnt quiten believe i was doing it. anyway i stgarted to get physically tense during takeoff and tapped the anxiety points as a quick fix and that got me thru. rest of flight was ok.

Hi panic, im glad EFT has given u some benefits. would love to hear more.

kate
09-03-04, 09:52
Hiya Paul,

Glad to hear that the technique worked well for you and that you had a relaxing holiday.

Well done mate!

Kate x

Laurie28
09-03-04, 09:53
Paul,

I'm soo glad EFt is working for you, and happy you had a good holiday!!!

My CBT therapist gave me the EFT pamplets on my 1st session but I never quite got into it.

I may practice it though and use it if ever the need occurs

Lucky

panic140671
09-03-04, 15:28
Hi Paul,

I had been suffering from panic for over 3 years. I had tried dozens of different medications but nothing worked - in fact most made me feel 10 times worse. My husband suggested seeing a hypnotherapist, so I thought I would give it a go. Anyway, to cut a long story short she asked if she could do some EFT on me as she thought it may help me. After the first session which only lasted about 10 minutes, I left her house and felt totally different. I drove home with no panicky feelings which normally accompany me and felt totally relaxed. Anyway, I had another session with her last week and have got another one booked for this week. I downloaded the manual on www.emofree.com and tap the points whenever I feel anxious etc. It amazes me how different I feel.

How often do you find that you need to do the tapping?

paulgray
09-03-04, 16:33
hi, I worked on a lot of past issues initially. sometimes doing 20 or so rounds of tapping a day for the first few days, now i tap about once or twice a day just to feel good, maybe a couple of times more on a specifice fear if I am pushing boundaries that day. or sometimes if i have a spare few minutes i try to rack my brains for negative memories or events or thoughts then have a tap on those. I enjoy the process so it is never a chore.

like you, I found an immediate and lasting benefit from day one and now use it regularly as a boost.

diana
09-03-04, 21:18
Hiya Paul,

Good to hear that you had a calm, and relaxing holiday.

Good on you!!!!!!! :).The EFT seems to be working well for you. You seem to be recovering by leaps and bounds.

Keep up the great work.

Post once in awhile to let us know how you are progressing.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

panic140671
10-03-04, 12:02
Hi Paul,

Sorry to be a nuisance, but do you ever suffer setbacks with the EFT. I feel totally panicky today.

Thanks

Laurie28
10-03-04, 12:47
Panic,

i think with anxiety/panic we all suffer setbacks (there was a big post named one step forward two steps backwards) Meg has a graph with shouws the peaks and toughs (sp?). Accept it that you are having a minor setback but you will soon be feeling better eh?

Take Care
lucky

paulgray
10-03-04, 17:10
Hi Panic.

sorry your feeling anxious right now. its always seems a bit worse if youve had some clear days.
I havent had waht I would call a setback. yes I have had times where I have felt somewhat anxious. but i remind myself that im doing something that was way beyond me only a few weeks ago. if at all possible i tap for it there and then. or i try to picture the scene again later and tap for it then. with anxiety sufferers it is an ongoing kind of thing. at least until the core issues have been found and eliminated and that can be complicated and take a bit more work.

As many of the good people on here have rightly said. there are always setbacks to go through. all the best

Meg
10-03-04, 17:51
Hi Panic ,

When you've had a good few days - well done - the intimate meomory of past feelings starts to fade so then when it does hit again - it almost feels worse.

This is because of the memory fading but also because you've changed your expectations of progress and are very disappointed and often afraid of returning of where you were a few weeks ago coupled with lots of negative thoughts about failing and will it ever get better ?!

This is where your daily journal is so useful . You can look back and recognise that in fact , this blip isn't as bad as you once were and isn't it great that you had the good times at all when previously there didn't seem to be many good days at all.

With all therapies there are 3 steps forwards and 2 back sometimes. The brain doesn't change permenently that quickly !

Be proud of the peaks, enjoy the plateaus and accept the blips.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

diana
12-03-04, 03:22
Hiya Panic,

I just wanted to say that all of folks who posted here pretty much summed up what I was going to say in a nut shell.

I agree that once we have had a few good days, that when we do feel a little anxious it seems way more intense. However we do know we got through the bad days before, hence we will again.

All of the posts are good, filled with good information. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Keep ya chin up :-D.

Take care and good luck!!!!!!!!!

Diana xxxxx

paulgray
21-04-04, 10:57
well.

Just to say. im still going to the gym. have lost another 10 pounds and last two days i have driven about 100 miles. most of that on large roads. a thing i was anxious about before. on monday all i felt was a bit overwhelmed that i was on my own, driving so far from home. bit like i was dreaming. so i kept tapping the collarbone point and undereye point as i was driving, as this feeling came up and it went away after a couple of times. the next day. i ddint get that at all.

M25 here I come.

sarah
21-04-04, 11:49
Hiya Paul

Thats great news. EFT is obviously working great for you :)

keep at it, you are doing great!!!

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

diana
22-04-04, 20:55
Hiya Paul,

Great News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks as though you found the miracle cure for your attacks.

The EFT seems to be doing wonders for you, I am so happy for you.

Great news on the weight lost too.

There is no limits for you now Paul.

Keep up the great work and keep us posted as to how you are doing.

Keep up with the driving.

We love to hear success stories.

Keep em coming.................... :)

Take care,

Diana xxxx