PDA

View Full Version : Back from the Docs with 15mg of Mirtazapine

hallam11
15-03-10, 13:31
Hello,

I went to the doctors this morning. Was very nervous and explained everything i've been going through. Anyway she prescribed mirtazapine. She said I have elements of ocd but mainly depression and anxiety. I haven't been on these medication before. Is there anything I should watch for and any advice anyone can say will help me through these first weeks?

x

JT69
15-03-10, 13:52
Hi,

I am into my 5th week of mirtazipine, I was on citalopram and had to wean off in 1 week and then start mirtazipine so as well as having side effects from the new meds I also had to cope with withdrawal from the old ones.

I found I slept really well and felt quite heavy/sleepy during the first couple of weeks. I started on 15mg and a week ago increased to 30mg. You will find you probably feel more hungry too even though that for me has worn off now.

All I would say it that fortunately for me I didn't have to work (signed off by Gp due back next Monday), if I had I would probably found it too difficult so if you can take time off that would be good. The first 2-3 weeks was the worst and even with the increase to 30mg I am now waking up at a reasonable time and the sleepiness wears off pretty quickly.

Please let me know how you get on and I will help you where I can. Good luck. Jo.

hallam11
15-03-10, 14:02
Thank you very much Jo.

I am unemployed at the minute, i guess luckily, so perhaps I can deal with them for now and then look into finding a job. I have been on citalopram in the past and came off them too quickly and believe that is why I have probably become severely depressed again. I hope to get better and give new medication a chance so I can fully recover from it.

I will keep updates! My first tablet is tonight so we'll see!

x

Redrainbow
15-03-10, 14:28
Hello,
I don't think you have anything to worry about, i'm on 45mg of mirtazapine, it might take a while to work for you about a month,,but no i dont think you have anything to worry about,,,
Regards Redrainbow,

hallam11
15-03-10, 17:54
Thank you very much! Makes me feel better, I just hope it gives me some peace at least! x

smudger
15-03-10, 18:05
Hi. I hope it helps you. I started on 15mg but I've weaned off now and I feel much better. My experience was of being very sleepy to start with and very hungry. By day 46 I had improvement but it may be sooner for you as I had to deal with withdrawls from citalopram (without weaning...argh!). Keep posting, I am sure everybody will help you along the way. Good luck.xx

Redrainbow
15-03-10, 21:49
It will help you really it will, just takes a little time,,and thats coming from me,,,and my bloods 80% mirtazapine!!!!! lol

hallam11
16-03-10, 15:57
Thanks smudger, I am very open to medication and don't mind being on them so I will give them a chance. I can understand that it might've taken longer to take to them when coming off another med like citalopram. When I was on anti-Depressants before I was on citalopram. She wanted to try me on a new medication this time.

I took my first tablet last night and slept well even though I did wake up once and then I went back to sleep and didn't wake up until 1:30! Now I feel very dizzy even when sitting down.My head feels like when I feel either when drunk or hungover.Its an odd feeling. Other than that and feeling sleepy I have no other complaints however there's only been one tablet so far!

Haha Redrainbow 80%! If they help you then its all good as far as im concerned!!!
Keep going!

Thanks everyone! x

JT69
16-03-10, 19:21
Hiya,

You sound very similiar to me when I first started taking mirtazipine, I slept until 11.30am (I am usually up with the larks), then felt hungover/drunk for most of the day. I did start to wake up earlier but still felt dizzy/hungover/drunk for about 2 weeks then it started to ease off. It lifted my depression really quickly though thankfully.

You are doing well...keep it up.

Jo.xx

hallam11
17-03-10, 19:51
Hello well its been 2 days now of taking 15mg of mirtazapine. I have to say I have been feeling quite odd on the tablets. I wouldn't say they were detrimental or making it so my life is unlivable.Not even in the slightest. It just seems as though my head is all foggy and like I am drunk! Although like you said Jo you had these symptoms for the first 2 weeks so I am prepared for that.

Hope everyone else is well!

Laura x

JT69
18-03-10, 10:51
HI Laura,

Glad that you are accepting the symptoms, I found that hard to do as I am such an impatient person I wanted to feel o.k. straight away and realisticly thats never going to happen!!!

I am 2 weeks into the increased dose of 30mg and I still feel quite heavy for the first part of the day, I dont like feeling like it but would prefer that then feel depressed like I did a while ago.

Like you though when I first started taking it I felt the side effects much worse to what I am experiencing now...the drunk/foggy feeling. What time of day does it go for you or do you have it pretty much all day? What time are you taking your meds and what time do you wake up? Am just curious.

Glad you feeling o.k though.

Jo.xx

smudger
18-03-10, 13:01
... It just seems as though my head is all foggy and like I am drunk! ..

Laura x

Wow, EXACTLY how I felt to start with! Keep up the good work, you can do it!

hallam11
18-03-10, 13:08
Hmmm it does tend to go after a few hours I start to feel a bit better in the early evening. I tend to still take my tablet quite late, I suppose I still have this silly fear of going to bed so I will leave it late.I think I may try and take it earlier though because at the minute I am taking them at 10/11 and going to be around 12 and not geting up until 11am/12 and I think getting up later is making me feel worse. So I am going to try and take it at about 9.30 and then go to bed at 10:30 and then set my alarm to wake me up at 9am so I still get enough sleep but not too much!

But yes I am coping well with the side effets, they're not as bad as ones I have had previously.

Thanks, hope you are doing o.k

Laura x

JT69
18-03-10, 15:15
Hi laura

I take my meds at 9pm and then go to bed around 10pm. I am waking up around 7ish but tend to doze until around 8pm then I get up. I was like you at first by late afternoon/early evening I was at my best, but as time goes by it gets earlier and earlier in the day. I still wake up groggy at the moment but can function etc, I just dont like the feeling. I tend to be a bit clumsy etc. I go back to work on Monday so hoping that by 10am I am o.k, am only doing 3 hrs per day next week so should be o.k....here's hoping so anyhow.

You are doing well hun.

JO.xx

hallam11
18-03-10, 16:03
Haha I think I spoke too soon earlier.I feel very groggy and sleepy today. I haven't woken up out of it yet!!!!

Thank you Smudger and Jo, I am trying to get through it, although like I said today I feel odd!!! Like yourself Jo I do find that I am extremely clumsy! I am on job seekers allowance at the minute and so am not at work and have decided to looking for a job can wait a couple of weeks until I am settled on these tablets.

I hope everything works out for you Jo and that you begin feeling ok and pretty much side effect free by 10am so going back to work is an easier process!

Thank you both

Laura xx

hallam11
21-03-10, 12:23
How long was it before you started to see improvement in your mood and depression. I am just wondering. I am not expecting miracles because I only started these tablets on Monday night so its only been 6 days. I just wondered how long it would take before my mood and depression lifted?

Laura xxx

JT69
21-03-10, 13:16
Hello Laura,

It was real difficult for me to work out when my mood started to lift as I had withdrawal effects from citalopram as well as side effects from the mirtazipine and I just felt totally out of sorts for about 2 and a half weeks initially. I guess my mood started to lift after a couple of weeks, but then I had a dip again and went back to my Gp and he increased me to 30mg. People on here say 30-45mg it the best dose to be on so you may be like me and have to go up. For me this was after 4 weeks. I have now been on that dose for a couple of weeks now my depression has pretty much gone now but I have a bit of anxiety and that is down to the fact that after 5 months almost i have to start my journey back to work tommorow. Will keep you informed.

I think you are doing well, but keep me posted, as I say after a few weeks you may have to increase to 30mg, see how you go.

Love Jo.xx

hallam11
21-03-10, 14:19
Thanks Jo,

I just wanted to know at what point the medication has an effect on your mood/depression. I understand that they were never going to work within the first week, I just got a bit scared that I may have been behind/not working with these tablets.

Its good to know that they will begin working after a couple of weeks.
Thanks

Laura xxx

hallam11
24-03-10, 12:45
Ok so a few of you will know the last couple of days have been quite hard for me. I don't seem to be picking up yet in terms of these tablets. My brain is either thinking thinking thinking or just numb and i dont feel anything. I feel I can just about get through the day but at night I feel worse especially just before bed.

Im hoping these tablets start working soon because I feel truly dreadful, the other night when I felt really bad I prayed that he take me away.

I don't like feeling this way,Laura

JT69
24-03-10, 16:27
Hi Laura,

Really so sorry that you are feeling as you are hun, I know how hard it can be at first. All I can say to you is try and hang in there until you see your GP next week, its a real shame you couldn't of got an appointment sooner (like this week) as I think you need to go and talk to him.

I wonder if you would benefit from some diazepam just until the meds kick in. Can you explain how you feel when you feel bad??

Are you sleeping o.k?

Sending you a big hug hun.:hugs:Jo.xx

hallam11
24-03-10, 17:09
Hi,

That was the earliest I could get to see her. I think I can get through it,well I hope so anyway.

I don't much know how I am feeling. The thoughts are constant, right now I am scared that I have a personality disorder or something but it all boils down to the same thing, am I going to hurt someone? The thoughts are constant and I cry alot. Sometimes I feel a bit shaky, or tense. Sometimes I can feel actual fear rising up or dread.I am sleeping pretty well considering so I don't need to worry about that.

Thank you Jo, hope work went ok!

xxxx

JT69
24-03-10, 17:18
Hi Laura,

That makes me feel a bit better that you say you think you can get through, you worried me earlier. It does feel like that sometimes doesn't it that its just impossible to go on.....I have thought like that too hun, honest I have. It will pass it really will it is just a case of hanging on until the meds start to work then they will help you. I really think that your GP will put your dose up to 30mg when you see her next week, and I definately think that is what needs to happen, you might even need to be on an even higher dose than that eventually, but dont worry if you do as long as they start to help you.

Glad you are managing to sleep well, at least that is something as alot of other meds cause insomnia and that is worse than ever!!

Bless you, I wish I could do something more to make you feel better....Keep posting to me wont you...think of you....take care.

Jo.xx

hallam11
24-03-10, 17:54
Hi Jo,

Im sorry to have worried you earlier, my mood goes up and down on the hour! Sometimes I just feel very numb and then other times like I can't go on. Its not very nice. Yes I can imagine that maybe she will put up my dose as I don't feel too good right now. Yes I am sleeping so thats ok.

I will keep posting, i usually stay on here or check up on here throughout the day.

Thanks Jo,

Laura xxx

JT69
25-03-10, 16:12
Hey Laura,

How you doing today hun? JO.xxx

hallam11
25-03-10, 18:19
Hi Jo,

Today I feel a bit better, I went out to meet my friend and we went to the cinemas.It was nice but I did feel like if I didn't keep trying then the depression would just come over in waves. How was your day off?

Laura xxx

JT69
26-03-10, 09:02
Hi Laura,

Glad you had a good day yesterday, I totally relate to you saying about the trying and the depression coming back etc, I felt like that too, those feelings will get less and less as you get stronger. I even have the odd time that I feel that dread in my mind but I just manage to push it away and get on with things. Distraction is huge for me, it really helps but you have to be strong enough in the first place (if that makes sense).

My day off was good thanks, I slept really heavy last night though and woke up really heavy this morning so went on my treadmill for 45 mins and I am actually eating some toast this morning before I toddle off to do my 3hrs!!!

Hope you have a good day today too, catch up with you later on.

Take care
love Jo.xxx

hallam11
26-03-10, 13:02
Hi Jo,

I hope I can feel stronger soon too. I want to get out there and have a jo etc but right now I don't feel up to it. Yes I feel dread alot but im guessing its just because for me that is usual at the minute.

I don't like waking up feeling heavy, I don't think im sleeping very heavily though right now.

Hope work goes ok!

Laura xx

JT69
27-03-10, 15:07
Hi Laura,

How are you doing???

I had to work today, just got back, Saturdays...horrible to work, really busy. Felt good menatally though so know am doing o.k to cope with it etc. Not my Saturday next week so get a lovely long weekend off thankfully!!!

Hope you ok.

Love Jo.xx

hallam11
27-03-10, 15:26
Hi Jo, lovely to hear from you!

Im doing a tad better today, my mood feels a little better today. I know I've got a long way to go yet but im glad I feel a little better,i was worried these tablets wouldn't work.

Oh dear, Saturday working! :lac:Im glad you felt good mentally! Thats a good thing! It will be nice for you to have a full weekend off next week, easter isn't it?Or am I totally off?!!!

Laura xx

JT69
27-03-10, 17:03
Hi Laura,

Glad you feeling a little better today, hopefully soon the good days will get more than the not so good days for you. The tablets will work, you just have to give them time. Even if you have to up your dose when you see your GP if you are anything like me the increase is no where near as bad as when you first start taking them, I really believe you will need to be on a higher dose, as most people on here told me the theraputic dose is 30-45mg.

Yes Easter next weekend, so looking forward to that.....time off anyhow.

Hope you have a good evening.

Love JO.xx

hallam11
05-04-10, 13:33
Hello,

Well I am on day 20 with my medication mirtazapine and I have not really seen too much positive increase in my mood. I see things a little more postively sometimes but its not for long and then I'll feel awful once again! I am seeing the dr again in one week and see what she says but she said if I plateau and don't see vast improvement then she would put my dose up to 30mg.I think this will probably happen.

Laura xx

JT69
05-04-10, 14:06
Hey Laura,

Glad to hear from you....have been reading your other posts so knew you were around. Sorry you still not seeing much of an improvement, I am sure your GP will increase your dose and then hopefully you will start to get somewhere hun. These things just take time sometimes dont they??

Anyhow keep in touch as I think of you and wonder how you are getting on.

Take care.
JO.xx

hallam11
05-04-10, 14:35
Thank you Jo,

Yes I realised today that I hadn't posted about my medication lately so I thought I'd do that today.Yes I think perhaps my medication needs increasing as I am just not seeing enough improvement. Sadly its taking longer than I expected...I guess I was another one of those who expected it to work faster than it has done.
Its nice to know that there's someone out there looking out for me.
Sadly that is not coming from my family.
Take Care Jo,
Laura xxxx

JT69
05-04-10, 15:15
Hi Laura,

I really feel for you hun...it is such a shame your family are the way they are, it can make so much difference when families understand. I am lucky that my hubby has suffered palputations and panick himself in the past and a few of his family members understand too. My mum doesnt really understand either but has never really said anything bad to me. I remember reading through your post on the ocd bit and when you told your mum you were on meds and she said "oh you on them again" was pretty awful. Bless you, you haven't had a lot of support in your life hun, am just glad you are managing to share experiences on this forum with others.

Take care
JO.xx

hallam11
05-04-10, 15:35
Jo,

Yes I do feel that with a more supportive family I would perhaps have an easier life, at home anyway. My friends are a little more supportive although they can't understand it very well and others just don't want to understand. Its a bit sad really but I am hopeful that by hopefully moving away in the future and meeting new people that I will find those who I need in my life. Yes I have found that my mum is really against medication and will tell anyone who will listen! I just had an arguement with my sister as she thinks I should just go out and get any job there is, I have a problem with this in 3 ways:one I don't feel ready just yet, 2 I absolutely hate where my mum has moved us to and don't feel like this is my home and so I don't want to settle and get a job here and 3 I want to get a job somewhere in the region of what I studied in and not just settle even if it means getting a low paid job in that field for experience.If I just get any old job then getting a job in events would be a near impossibility as they are looking for experience.Anyway sorry abot my rant but she has made me angry, she gets on at me everytime she comes round which has been the past 3 days. Her and my mum laugh at me and call me in front of me and laugh like its aqll a big joke but to me its not. I dunno,,,,im looking for jobs out of this area so I can be aweay from them all.
Thank you for your consistent posts!

Laura xxx

JT69
05-04-10, 15:55
Hi Laura,

Omg!!! How could they be so nasty to you...God it makes me seethe with anger when I hear people like that...calling you and laughing at you!! How dare they!! Dont let it get to you....they are very sad individuals (sorry to speak about your family like that) who dont deserve someone like you in their family!!!

I agree entirely with you on the job front...why would you want to take just any job?? You have studied and obtained your degree so now you need to find something on that area of expertise!!!

I send you a big hug:hugs:please dont let them drag you down....as if you haven't got enough on your plate without them ridiculing you and making you feel worse!!! And please feel free to rant whenever you need to as I would be ranting if I was in your shoes....look at me now!!! Lol. You have lots of friends on here Laura and lots of support...dont ever forget that hun.

Take care and remember rant at me anytime.
Love Jo.xx

hallam11
05-04-10, 16:23
Thank you, your constant support helps me so much. I am so very glad that my old counsellor suggested this site to me as everyone has always been so nice.

Can't choose your family, huh?!!!
Thank you again!
xxx

hallam11
13-04-10, 15:34
Hello again,

I am back from the doctors and I have had my medication increased from 15mg to 30mg of mirtazapine. To be honest i am not too fussed about the doctor, she doesn't seem empathetic (if thats the word?!) and so im not completely comfortable with her. Anyway I have my new 30mg tablets and shall be looking to see if there are any improvements. So there's my catch up!
Hope everyone is doing ok, im looking forward to having that also!

Laura xx

nervy-paul
13-04-10, 16:32
Best of luck with your 30mg tabs Laura, hopefully you'll soon start to see improvements with them. As for the un-empathetic (not too sure that's a word either!) doctor, I'm can't say I'm overly surprised, sadly very few gp's have the time or the experience to truely understand or sympathise when it comes to mental illness.

JT69
13-04-10, 18:07
Hi Laura,

I think it was a forgone conclusion for your dose to be increased...I just hope you feel the benefit hun, you so deserve a break, and I am sure they will really help you. Please let me know how you go with them.

I feel better today...thankfully...started off feeling crap as usual but is soon disappeared so had a pretty good day...just taking one day at a time as am so scared to say I feel too much better in case it comes back again!!!

Pleased for you hun.

Take care
Jo.xx

hallam11
13-04-10, 19:38
Ahh thank you Paul. Yes sadly she didn't seem too sympathetic with me and didn't seem to bothered. Thankfully I have the increase and hopefully that will help me.

Thanks Jo, yes I was pretty sure I'd have an increase. I will let you know how I go on, im so glad you have started feeling better. I think there are bound to be bad days but sadly we tend to think, thats it im just back at square one when really its just a bad day. Keep soldiering on! Im pleased you have seen a better day!

Laura x

hallam11
14-04-10, 18:46
Hello just thought i'd update!

I applied for a job this morning at somewhere called manpower in Chesterfield. They called me this aftenoon and asked me to go in tomorrow for an informal meeting at 3pm. I am a little nervous but more looking forward to getting out and earning money.

Laura x

JT69
15-04-10, 10:40
Hi Laura,

Am pleased for you hun....good luck...let me know how you get on. How are you feeling on the 30mg? Any side effects? Love Jo.xx

hallam11
20-04-10, 20:47
Hi jo,

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks...we'll see how it goes tomorrow! To be honest at the minute I don't feel any different on 30mg but its been a week today so not sure??! xxx

hallam11
22-04-10, 20:14
Hello,

Just wondered how long it takes for the higher dose to take effect on one's mood and depression? I have not started feeling any better and it will be two weeks on Tuesday when I began taking the 30mg? Is it still too early to feel any better? I am feeling really very low and seem to be getting worse?if thats possible? I have a thread called scary everyday on the ocd page which goes into more detail about my "stuff".

x

ammerz
22-04-10, 20:53
hey there, after 2 years of finding a suitable med, the doc weaned me off the ssri's and put me on mirtazapine. I took the for 6 months and went completely back to my old self... so much so, that i decided it was best to come off them, that i didnt need them any more. At first things were great, but a year later and i was severely depressed. This has continued ever since (5years) When i finally snapped and went back to the doctors. Any way, just want to say, keep talking to your doctor, dont come off them too early, if you do, the chances of it coming back are increased dramatically. I wish i had never stopped taking them. Im currently on day 7 of fluoxetine. I only hope i dont have to go through the 2 years of hell trying to find something that works for me.
The side effects do go away....

JT69
25-04-10, 16:30
Hi Laura,

Have been away to Cornwall for a week so not being posting. I wondered how you were doing on 30mg???

I hope it has made you feel better.

I am still struggling with the mornings at the moment and the holiday even though I really enjoyed has unsettled me and I now need to re-focus and get back to work and hope I settle again soon.

For the duration of my suffering which is now around 11 years in total on and off I always seem to find "holidays" unsettling. I tend to get extra anxious before I go and then the same when I return...so wierd it really is. You would think after suffering all this time I would of conquered it by now but I just never do.

Anyhow its back to full-time for me tommorow so I have to focus and get on with it!!! I have had an awful day today...but then Sundays I just dont like them....think it takes me back to when I was younger and it was bath night and school the next day...very strange. My GP has reffered me for some councelling/ the therapy where they train you to think differently?? Forgotten the name of it...so that may help.

Hope you are doing o.k. hun.

Jo.xx

hallam11
25-04-10, 16:37
Hello Jo,

Lovely to have you back! I am not so sure its the right drug for me, I say this only because I don't feel any different from before. The depression is still a tough slog and the ocd thoughts are still there all the time.So I dunno! I've been on the 30mg for 10 days i think now so I don't know if im speaking too early?

Yes I can understand why holidays can be unsettling, at home we have our routines and our safe place and going away we step away from that so its understandable. I have no qualms in saying that I am sure you will get back to where you were doing good!

Yes Sundays tend to make me feel worse, at the minute all my days are sundays but when my depression isn't a black cloud over me then Sundays are the pits for me! Oh yes CBT is it? I was told the CBT can only be offered for 6 sessions, however my counselling at the surgery is also for only 6 sessions so im not sure where i'll be after that!I do want to look into CBT myself as its supposed to be the best for those with anxiety disorders and depression in retraining your thinking patterns!

Im trying!

Laura xxx

JT69
25-04-10, 16:58
Hi Laura,

That is CBT, I asked my GP and he said that they offered sessions of 6 at a time so I have a form to fill in and return and then wait for the dates etc. I thought it might help with my train of thinking, so giving it a go.....there is a bit of a wait though.

Sorry to hear you are not feeling the benefit from the increased dose, it is a little early though, and I also know there are people on here taking 45mg so you might still need another increase before your GP decides to change meds. What other meds have you taken if any??

I am also wondering if it is the right drug for me, this week I ate so healthy and did so much walking but I just didnt lose any weight and that really p'd me off!!! Just not fair!!! I really wonder if its the mirtazipine that causes the horrible feeling when I wake??? We shall see. I have taken other meds in the past so dont have much left to try and at least I sleep well on these. I guess we have to weigh it all up in the end.

Honestly though Laura, it is still early days for your dose increase, I know it is hard but bear with it and hopefully you will improve hun. Bless you!!! Do think of you and hope you are doing o.k. Jo.xx

hallam11
25-04-10, 20:16
Hi Jo,

Yes I was told about the CBT being six session, I have a counselling session tomorrow.My second of six so we'll see?!!

Yes I did think it may be a little early however my sleep is really broken again, at first the drugs knocked me out but now they don't seem to touch me. If 45mg is what it takes then that'll do! I have taken fluoxitine and duloxitine,both of which were awful for me in terms of side effects and then I went on to citalopram and that worked until I decided I didn't need it anymore!

Yes thats does seem unfair what with eating healthy and walking! It may be the meds, I suppose it is whether the good outweighs the bad.

I will bear with it, in the back of my mind I did think perhaps it could have been too early! Thank you Jo, it means alot that you do care! Hope mornings get better for you!
Take care
Laura xxxx

ElizabethJane
25-04-10, 20:24
Hi all I have had CBT too some years ago. It didn't work for me because I was too depressed and unmotivated to do the homework. I have picked up 'CBT for dummies too' but with no lasting effect. i'm sure that it would have worked if I had been a little less ill at the time.

hallam11
26-04-10, 20:01
Thank you EJ for your reply, I must say I have been thinking whether I am in the right frame of mind in order for it to work.I am doing little exercises each day to start off to get me in the right frame of mind.
I hope you find something that will help you! xxx

ElizabethJane
27-04-10, 07:44
Thanks I am coping very well at the moment so I dont think that I need CBT. I do think that it needs to be properly supervised though ie with a therapist who can 'set' the homework and then somebody to feedback to. I am having hypnosis at the moment for my sleep problems.

JT69
28-04-10, 10:02
Hi Laura,

Just wondered how you were feeling? Has the increase in dosage helped at all yet? I hope so. Wondered how you got on with the job front? I think if you can manage to get a job that will help you too. Going back to work has certainly helped me anyhow, I know I still suffer with that dreadfull waking up feeling of anxiety but apart from that work occupies me and stops me dwelling on how I am feeling etc. I just wish the weight would come off....the blooming mirt is a pain for that, but I would rather be plump and ok in mind than feeling like I did.

Anyhow let me know how you are doing hun. Jo.xx

hallam11
28-04-10, 11:16
Hello,

EJ i am so glad that you are doing well, its nice to hear! I hope the hypnosis helps for the sleep, does it help?? How does hypnosis work??

Jo, hi there! I really am not sure if it is working?! I have been so busy since Sunday that I haven't been much been able to think about it! However throughout the day I have had periods of where i've felt quite down so im not sure. Yes I know the weight is actually quite awful! I am putting on too much! But yes I would rather be of sane mind!

Laura xxxx

hallam11
29-04-10, 19:02
Hello,

I just wanted to ask a question about the mirtazapine, does anyone else find that it numbs your feelings? I battle with intrusive thoughts and they really distress me but with other things and sometimes this I will have a thought and I wont have the quick reaction I usually have, I will feel the fear but minimally. I just wondered if it was the meds?
xxxx

hallam11
07-05-10, 17:55
Hello!

Just a little update! I went back to the doctors today for two reasons, one to get more thyroxine and two to speak about my mirtazapine. Well I have been on mirtazapine for 8 weeks now and I can't say I have seen an improvement, my mood is still very low, with depression having a marked effect on my life. Anyway I went to see a new doctor, wasn't so impressed with other doctor, new doctor couldn't see why original doctor had put me onto mirtazapine as I had worked well on citalopram in the past. We spoke and he thought that if I hadn't felt an improvement on 30mg then it was highly unlikely I would feel much better on 45mg so he has decided to wean me off mirtazapine and onto citalopram. He felt an SSRI would suit me better too so there we go!

I have 5 30mg tablets left so I am to take them and after that take 15mg for week1, then take a tablet every other day on week2, then take only two tablets on week3 and then only one on week4. I am then to wait a few days with no tablets and then take citalopram. Confusing I know but I just about got it!
xxx

JT69
08-05-10, 08:56
Hi Laura,

I did reply to one of your other posts but glad that you are changing meds. I hadnt realised you had took citalopram before, I had too and I wish I had stuck with it as in the long term I think it is better drug and for me I could take 10mg as a preventative and then increase when I had a bad time. Still am doing o.k. on mirtazipine so need to stick it out a bit longer before deciding what to do.

Glad you are having a holiday....I take it you will of changed meds by the time you go away??

Shame the meds didnt work for you but if citalopram worked before then it should again, seems mad the other GP put you on mirtazipine instead??

Anyhow good luck with the change over and please post how you are feeling as I for one will be very interested to follow your journey with it all.

Take care
Jo.xx

hallam11
08-05-10, 17:10
Hello Jo,

I have replied on the other post also but just wanted to say that on my journey with mirtazapine you have made it so much easier and I never felt alone so thank so much.

Yes I did try citalopram last year, I started on fluoxitine and really didn't get on well with it so they changed me onto duloxitine which I had a bit of a reaction to so again they changed me and it was citalopram and it worked very well but I came off it too early due to just feeling better and a little bit of pushing from my family! Anyway there we go! Thanks xxxx