PDA

View Full Version : Hi. I want to introduce myself.

SeeingWhatIs
11-01-06, 04:14
Hello everyone. I've met you all before. My name is Philip and I was off the forum for a bit over a month to quit smoking. Well, everyone is different I suppose but I don't think in general quitting smoking is a three week affair and then you're done. I'm going to give myself a year. I have been diagnosed bipolar, ocd, ptsd, and panic disorder. Joy!
Has quitting smoking helped my anxiety? Yes, I think so. When I smoked, I experienced anxiety as high peaks throughout the day, but now when I experience anxiety it's of lesser intensity, longer, and more stable (if that makes sense). It's easier to cope with. But I also feel very trippy, things sometimes appear like they're happening in slow motion and distorted (probably due to the cut off of dopamine). Quitting has also completely changed my life. Anyway, I'm still in the middle of it.
Second on my list is drinking. I have been self-medicating for years now with alcohol. Fortunately, I had my liver function tested and it just slightly above normal, and far, far below the danger mark. Now, thinking it would be a good idea to get to work on this drinking problem, I've been steadily cutting down every night. It's been rough, but I've been OK. Until last night. I laid in bed, my stomach in knots, and had hallucination after hallucination of grotesque and sometimes terrifying images. I finally got up, cried and prayed for about a half hour, and drank some more.
So I wonder what people here feel about this? I don't care. [V] I decided just to stop worrying about the before bed drinking until I'm done with quitting smoking. It's not like I'm drinking a fifth of scotch a night or anything. I'm drinking 6-10 units (yes, too much!). Anyway, for now I'll curtail where I can and when I feel comfortable as I get used to my new life as a non-smoker (quitting is a wonderful experience by the way, the actual abstinence itself nowhere near as hard as I imagined, although it does affect your whole life and urges continue for longer than I imagined).
My third issue is my addiction to klonopin (clonazepam). 2.5 mgs a day for the past three and a half years. Sometimes 3 or 3.5. But that's the last substance issue I'm going to deal with. I'm sorry- I don't (except in really bad cases) believe in dealing with multiple addictions at once. It was starting to set my head on fire!
Sorry this got long and thanks for reading.
Philip

vernon
11-01-06, 12:36
Hi Philip and well done. I gave up drinking just over 2 years ago; my liver function test was very high 109. It seemed ok to start but after about 6 weeks the anxiety hit me big time. It took me about 12 months to feel right again but had been drinking heavy and daily for about 40 years, I did like lots use alcohol as medication to fight off the fears, especially at night going to bed, I couldn’t remember ever going to bed without drink. I feel lots better for it now and am able to fight my anxiety without turning to drink. I really want and need to stop smoking but keep putting it off; I smoke lots more since I gave up drinking. Anyway my liver function test is down to 38 now it took time but got right down so I suppose never to late to stop drinking. Hope you keep reaching your goals with the quitting. Take Care, Vernon

Piglet
11-01-06, 12:37
Welcome back Philip and good luck with your goals.

Piglet x

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

sillymoo
11-01-06, 14:44
hi and welcome!hope u find this site as useful as i do!take care and keep smilin:D luv mooxXx

Meg
11-01-06, 18:16
Philip

Many congratulations addressing your addictions

I think with the alcohol you are experiencing acute withdrawal as you are used to a certain amount and have been cutting that down each day.

If you cope with this then you can go with it and get through but if it proves too hard then maybe slow down your rate of withdrawal and allow your body to get used to a new amoubnt before dropping down any more.

Good luck and wery well done for doing so well to date

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

alexis
11-01-06, 18:52
Hi Philip and welcome back, good luck with all you are doing.x

Most of lifes battles are won, by looking beyond the clouds to the sun:
and having the patience to wait for the day,when the sun comes out and the clouds go away.

love from Alexisxx

nomorepanic
11-01-06, 19:23
Hi Phillip

Welcome back.

I agree that maybe giving up too many things at once has the reverse effect and makes us feel worse.

Concentrate on the smoking but don't increase the alcohol intake because of that.

Good luck with it all.

Nicola

clickaway
11-01-06, 20:16
Hi Philip,

Glad to see you back and battling with these addictions.

You seem very determined to win, so best of luck and keep us posted.

Cheers,

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

chucklehound
12-01-06, 14:10
[^]Hi Philip and welcome back to the forum![^]

Take Care

Chucklehound

xxxx

Karen
12-01-06, 14:51
Hi Philip

Welcome back and well done for continuing to tackle these issues.

Hope you find some support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.