PDA

View Full Version : Hi New Member checking in

Prest
15-03-10, 17:29
Hello all,

I am new to panic/anxiety and am so glad I've found this site.

I've led a normal life relatively free of panic and anxiety until my Mum got diagnosed with Cancer and then died in November 2009.

Since then, I've had palpitations (hard and missed beats) and sudden panic attacks that kind of whoosh into play in the middle of shopping in Supermarkets and sometimes when I am driving. They then make me feel lightheaded, full of anxiety and shakey.

These days I can't face even going into a Supermarket or busy shop as I strangely fear as if I will fall over or have a heart attack. My wife tries to understand but I can see the annoyance on her face if I have to "escape".

I hope people can relate to this as I am so keen to get these sorted as they are taking over my life.

Thanks
Prest.

diane07
15-03-10, 17:32
Hi Prest

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Maj
15-03-10, 17:36
Hello Prest,

Welcome to nmp. I'm assuming you've been to your gp and had an ecg, etc. to be told that they're caused by anxiety? I suffered ectopic beats for a while and they were very uncomfortable. I had ecg, heart scan, etc. and was told that even although I had 6000 missed beats in 24 hours that they were still harmless. This reassured me, but I also chose to change some things in my life. For you it seems that your mum's death has brought anxiety on and I'm so sorry about your mum. It is very early days for you in the bereavement process and my heart goes out to you. My friend also suffered from anxiety after the death of her mother as it is such a life changing and traumatic event. When the ectopics come on then it makes you panic which releases more adrenalin and it's a vicious circle. Try not to be afraid of them because no matter how many you take and for how long as they are harmless. When you stop being afraid then they will happen a bit less and even when they do happen you will be able to just carry on with whatever you were doing. You'll get lots of support and reassurance from people on this site so please don't think you are alone in suffering from these. You can get through it.
Myra:hugs:

Vanilla Sky
15-03-10, 19:13
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome: Paige x

JT69
15-03-10, 20:56
Hi Prest,

You have found the right place, have been a member for few weeks now, I suffer with depression/anxiety and it has been a god send...dont know what I would of done without it. Everyone knows how you feel and can offer helpful advice.

It is a shame that your wife does not understand how you are feeling, I am lucky that my husband is my rock and is so supportive. I guess it comes down to if not having experienced it yourself then you dont really understand it.

Anyhow Good Luck I am sure lots of people will post advice to you and you will begin a recovery journey...certainly helped me.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Take care. Jo.

Patty
16-03-10, 12:34
Hi Prest

:welcome:to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your Mum.

Best wishes :hugs:

Veronica H
16-03-10, 12:38
:welcome:to NMP. You will find comfort and support here. So sorry for the loss of your mum, and understandable how the anxiety took hold. This will get better.

Veronicax

Prest
16-03-10, 14:54
Thanks for all your responses! I already feel happier now that I am with the company of people who understand what I am going through.

The experience is often made worse as it feels so unique but good to see that it obviously isn't.

My wife really wants to understand but I get the feeling her and some others who know about my anxiety and panic attacks really think it should be as easy as telling yourself to "stop being silly".

Thanks again guys.

Prest.

DesperateJules
17-03-10, 16:18
This is all so familiar to me as I started suffering with panic attacks and anxiety following the death of my mother in 1999 and it's been a constant in my life ever since.

My partner is very supportive, but sometimes gets frustrated although I think (and he assures me that this is so) that it is more the fact that he feels useless and can't do anything, than being cross with me - your wife probably feels much the same way.