PDA

View Full Version : Hello all

Herder of Cats
15-03-10, 19:36
I was diagnosed with social phobia and panic disorder last week, I found this forum whilst doing some research.

There seems to be a lot of good advice here and I hope that as well as making use of the advice I can eventually add some of my own.

I started getting panic attacks as a teenager and when I went to university I also began suffering from insomnia and depression. I started my masters in January and have been getting panic attacks almost every week when I try to go in for lectures. My new doctor diagnosed me with social phobia and has referred me for CBT.

Nice to meet you all.

diane07
15-03-10, 19:38
Hi Herder of Cats

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

oneofus
15-03-10, 20:22
Herder of cats,

Nice to hear from you. Good luck with the MSc, finished my Phd off a couple of years ago part-time after ten years; my tutor immediately announced he was retiring! Used to be my best way of escaping the world so I do hope they sort out the anxiety problem. What are you reading BTW?

Best of luck
Nick

Patty
16-03-10, 00:54
Hi Herder of Cats

:welcome:to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

Best wishes :hugs:

Herder of Cats
16-03-10, 01:41
Nice to hear from you. Good luck with the MSc, finished my Phd off a couple of years ago part-time after ten years; my tutor immediately announced he was retiring! Used to be my best way of escaping the world so I do hope they sort out the anxiety problem. What are you reading BTW?

Best of luck
NickThank you.

I'm doing my masters in computing, nothing too specific - web design and databases mostly. Its good because I can do most of the work from home and upload it directly to the university's server.

Most of my lecturers have been supportive but my tutor isn't helpful at all. I emailed her over a week ago to ask for some advice about my studies and how to apply for an extension and she still hasn't replied to my email.

If she hasn't replied by tomorrow afternoon I'm going to ask one of the other lecturers to act as my tutor instead.

What was the subject of your Phd?

oneofus
16-03-10, 07:25
Snap! I wondered if it was computing. My PhD was in the same at UEA,Norwich looking at the creation of models of biological species in evolutionary systems or as one recruitment consultant said "They (clients since I was a contractor) won't understand that so say you're studying sex and offer them a place on your control group"), and I had to apply for extensions :-) Don't rely on using modern communication methods with tutors, they're too far behind the power curve at times. Your best door stepping them, and extensions are normally given with little fuss.

Keep in touch
Nick