PDA

View Full Version : is it OCD?

rachy_babyx
11-01-06, 17:16
For many years now i have had the same problem but never known whats "wrong with me"

i have this peculiar obsession with death/ dying and anything that could cause them

Everytime i go anywhere or do anything it's an up hill struggle because i imagine everything that could happen that could be fatal. I look deeply at situations which had anything been different could have been fatal

i know i must sound mad but i'm not a glass half empty person but i can't get these thoughts out of my head. i avoid anything that may have someone who's died in it otherwise all i can think is "they're dead" and when i read the paper i wonder how they felt and if they were scared and it really frightens me.

This seems to be where my anxiety started but i'm not sure if it's OCD or if i'm just mad

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rachel x

scoobygirl2005
11-01-06, 23:51
Hi.

Have you talked to your doctor about this? Because that may be a good idea, then they may refer you to a psychiatrist who could help and asses your problem, not sure if thats any help to you?

Scooby2005
x

soular
12-01-06, 12:10
Hi Rachel

Believe you're not mad - or if you are I'll be joining you in the asylum! (Joking). Because I suffer horribly from this too. I don't know if it's anxiety, OCD or hypochondria (health anxiety). I've stopped trying to group everything into categories because they all link in in my experience. I have read that OCD can cause people to have really persistent thoughts and worries, for example being terrified that you'll push someone in front of a car (when in reality you'd never ever do that in a million years). And anxiety and hypochondria seem to revolve around the fear of death. So I guess if you combine all of this it would be perfectly normal to have persistent thoughts about how scary death is. I've been plagued by this nearly my whole life.

But do you want to hear something positive? I think death won't be anything terrible when it happens, it won't justify the amount of worry we exhaust on it. It's natural to fear the unknown - otherwise racism wouldn't exist (ok going off the topic slightly, but we are scared of concepts that are not familiar to us). I was always scared sick of my parents dying. But I lost my mum just over 2 weeks ago and you know what, I'm getting through it much better than I ever expected. The initial shock was hard, I won't say it wasn't but since then I've come to terms with it. We're always told that death is just another part of life but I can ever fully accept that. I always see the glass as half empty. But I don't think anyone should live their life constantly thinking about death, you'd just get yourself down. Easier said than done, I know.

I think it all boils down to the fact that people with anxiety and OCD need to feel in control of their lives. And if this gets in the way of you enjoying your life then I really would ask for some support from your doctor. Take care.

Soular