PDA

View Full Version : Medication change/Sertraline diary

superjonboy
17-03-10, 15:29
I was originally on Citalopram and my psychiatrist has changed me to Sertraline.

I've been documenting the transition which started in the Citalopram section http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=70932
but now I've started Sertraline I thought it more appropriate to carry on the diary here.

Today is my 4th day on Sertraline at 50mg.

So far I've had lightheadedness, whole body feeling weightless, some fatigue and some generally quite weird symptoms like a feeling of cold air trapped in my throat.
It's difficult to say if these are because of Citalopram withdrawal, starting Sertraline or because of anxiety.

Today when I woke up I was quite dazed. I still feel it now too. Kind of like depersonalisation/derealisation. I'm hopig it will pass and is just part of the transition period.

I'd be greatful if anyone could answer the following.

If I was going to get side effects would they have all happened by now? The ones i'm most owrried about are the scare stories you hear like hallucinations(hearing voices/seeing things), becoming manic and this type of thing. If I was at risk of these would they have happened already or is it too early 4 days into the medication?

John

yvonne_uk_98
17-03-10, 19:36
I was originally on Citalopram and my psychiatrist has changed me to Sertraline.

I've been documenting the transition which started in the Citalopram section http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=70932
but now I've started Sertraline I thought it more appropriate to carry on the diary here.

Today is my 4th day on Sertraline at 50mg.

So far I've had lightheadedness, whole body feeling weightless, some fatigue and some generally quite weird symptoms like a feeling of cold air trapped in my throat.
It's difficult to say if these are because of Citalopram withdrawal, starting Sertraline or because of anxiety.

Today when I woke up I was quite dazed. I still feel it now too. Kind of like depersonalisation/derealisation. I'm hopig it will pass and is just part of the transition period.

I'd be greatful if anyone could answer the following.

If I was going to get side effects would they have all happened by now? The ones i'm most owrried about are the scare stories you hear like hallucinations(hearing voices/seeing things), becoming manic and this type of thing. If I was at risk of these would they have happened already or is it too early 4 days into the medication?

John

Hi John,

it's early days, I'm not sure about the side effects, though I have 2 of the side affects, though not as bad as I did with cit. You may not get the side effects. Hang in there, you are doing well.

Hope you feel better soon. lots of hugs to ya...:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Yvonne

superjonboy
18-03-10, 23:23
Things started out pretty good today but steadily got a bit more crap until about 7 when i felt like I really couldn't breathe. I keep getting it where I feel out of brethe like short of it, finding it a bit hard to talk etc then it feels lke a cold wind is traped in my chest.

Not sure if I should go to the doctors or just see if it passes?

John.

yvonne_uk_98
19-03-10, 00:13
Hi John,

Maybe you could go to see your gp, maybe not to do with cit. or it could be that you are panicking. have you done your breathing exercise? hope you feel better soon.

Yvonne

superjonboy
20-03-10, 23:50
Well i've done the first week and should be going up to 100mg tomorrow but im not sure if I should just stay at 50mg for now.

I think i've improved a little but I keep getting some frightening symptoms. gain not sure if these are Anxiety, Citalopram Withdrawal or the Sertraline.

Aftr the first week will I hae got all the side effects I'm going to get from Sertraline?

John x

yvonne_uk_98
23-03-10, 03:04
Hi John,

Well done for getting past the first week. Go and see your gp and get his/her advice about going up a does, as your gp about your frightening symptoms to help put your mind at ease.

Hope you feel better soon.

Yvonne :hugs:

superjonboy
24-03-10, 17:48
I keep feeling like im daydreaming and I freak out when I come back 'around' so to speak. I know I'm concious the whole time.

I'm really scared I'm developing psychosis.

John x

yvonne_uk_98
26-03-10, 02:16
Hi John,

I looked up psychosis, it is arrange of underlying problems, you would need to go and see your gp, dont suffer this on your own, go and talk to your gp about it. Let me know how things go.

I wish I could be more of a help to you John.

Hope you feel better soon. lots of hugs to ya... :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Yvonne

superjonboy
27-03-10, 18:33
I had a horrible couple of days thursday and friday.
Was absolutely convinced I was dying or something terrible was going to happen. I've finally taken my 100mg dose today.
I kind of figured it will either make me feel better quicker or send me manic/[sychotic or worst case scenario - kill me.
Took it at 9am this morning and have just felt out of it today. Tired, dazed, unreal, weak, feeling strange..............

Hope it goes soon.

John x

yvonne_uk_98
27-03-10, 22:13
I had a horrible couple of days thursday and friday.
Was absolutely convinced I was dying or something terrible was going to happen. I've finally taken my 100mg dose today.
I kind of figured it will either make me feel better quicker or send me manic/[sychotic or worst case scenario - kill me.
Took it at 9am this morning and have just felt out of it today. Tired, dazed, unreal, weak, feeling strange..............

Hope it goes soon.

John x

Hi John,

Sorry your feeling not good, hang in there, you will get through this, and keep posting in here.

I hope you feel better soon.

Yvonne :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Kimm
31-03-10, 00:09
hi jon, im on sertraline and i suffer from psychosis and hear distressing voices and ive been on sertraline for over a year to help reduce my anxiety and help with depression, my sertraline was recently reduced to 50mg and i've had some problems, ive been feeling a lot more anxious since the change. Ive been told the anxiety will calm down. my dad is a mental health RN and he tells me its normal to experiance some degree of anxiety when your switch medication or your meds are reduced, but you should'nt notice a change for about a week because it has to reach a theraputic level in the system. Dont worry though!
Sertraline is an anti- depressent not an anti-psychotic! the meds are designed for your symptoms, don't worry you'll be fine.
Hang in there!!!!

kim

superjonboy
31-03-10, 21:13
Hi Kim,

Thnks for posting.
I have a fear of mental illness so i think it comes from this. As soon as I' feeling a bit weird I think i'll become psychotic but I've been told this is not how it happens?

John x

yvonne_uk_98
04-04-10, 21:06
Hi John,

Happy Easter, I hope you are well, hope you have a good day. keep posting here, I do want to hear how yiou are doing.

Yvonne

Kimm
06-04-10, 00:03
heya jon,
I was diagnosed with psychosis because i had delurious beliefs. I thought that people were watching me and listening to my thoughts. I still believe the voices I hear are real people. I thought they could control the weather and were using it to control my mood, And that everyone in the world was listening to my thoughts, I took an overdose because I believed people were getting irritated by listening to my thoughts non stop all the time. I was lucky to have such a wonderful family who helped me through this, I went to various self help groups which helped me to get better. Now I work as a florist, I've started going to a creative writing group and I'm due to start college i september so I can open my own business someday.

dont worry!
even if you were to develop psychosis it is up to you how you live! don't let mental illness rule your life. you can be normal just like everybody else. to live through mental illness means so much more than surviving a broken leg, its important to live your life to its maximum potential. x

yvonne_uk_98
06-04-10, 00:18
heya jon,
I was diagnosed with psychosis because i had delurious beliefs. I thought that people were watching me and listening to my thoughts. I still believe the voices I hear are real people. I thought they could control the weather and were using it to control my mood, And that everyone in the world was listening to my thoughts, I took an overdose because I believed people were getting irritated by listening to my thoughts non stop all the time. I was lucky to have such a wonderful family who helped me through this, I went to various self help groups which helped me to get better. Now I work as a florist, I've started going to a creative writing group and I'm due to start college i september so I can open my own business someday.

dont worry!
even if you were to develop psychosis it is up to you how you live! don't let mental illness rule your life. you can be normal just like everybody else. to live through mental illness means so much more than surviving a broken leg, its important to live your life to its maximum potential. x

Hi Kimm,

Well done :D I so proud of you, keep up the good work, your amazing.

Yvonne:hugs:

Kimm
06-04-10, 00:51
heya yvonne,

ive only just joined this forum, thank you so much for saying that. It means a lot to me. Its hard to live with and Ive longed to find people who have gone through the same. thank you yvonne.:D x x

kim

xlouloux
07-04-10, 04:44
hi john was wondering how its been going?

superjonboy
12-04-10, 15:45
Hi everyone.

I've finally moved house and don't have the internet there yet until thursday 15th.

Well I've not been doing so good. Obviously the stress of moving, but I just feel so ill all the time.

Still convinced I'm losing my mind or that I have something seriously wrong with me.

Think it's been 4 weeks since I started on Sertraline and so far I don't feel any better.

Hopefully they will work soon and won't give me psychosis or mania.

John x

yvonne_uk_98
12-04-10, 23:16
Hi John,

Glad to hear from you, missed ya, sorry your not feeling too great, hope you feel better soon, Maybe you could go and see your gp, let him/her know how you are feeling, you may need an increase in meds. Hope your evening gets better.

Yvonne

snowy
19-04-10, 12:19
hi john..i too have just come off citalopram..my 4th day on sertraline 100mg..i find i have more hot sweats than before.it helps me to have an affirmation..mine is spf..which is strong..positive and focused..but you have to believe in the words when you say them positively to yourself..over and over again..like a mantra i suppose.take great care and have a good day.

superjonboy
19-04-10, 13:49
Hi everyone.

Well I had a few good days. Saw the psychiatrist on Friday and was feeling much better about things. It really is just anxiety! I'm not becming manic or psychotic e.t.c.

I did a good walk on Saturday, on my own too. Then yesterday went to Meadowhall (large shopping center) and coped ok. Had a bit of panic but no panic attacks e.t.c

This morning I woke up feeling weird. I picked up the remote for my tv and it elt weird and different. Like it wasn't the same remote. It was aweird thing and freaked me. Today I just eel a bit flat again, but i'm putting it down to tiredness from the last few good days.

Maybe things are lookng up now!
(Dare I say/believe it?)
John x

yvonne_uk_98
21-04-10, 00:35
Hi everyone.

Well I had a few good days. Saw the psychiatrist on Friday and was feeling much better about things. It really is just anxiety! I'm not becming manic or psychotic e.t.c.

I did a good walk on Saturday, on my own too. Then yesterday went to Meadowhall (large shopping center) and coped ok. Had a bit of panic but no panic attacks e.t.c

This morning I woke up feeling weird. I picked up the remote for my tv and it elt weird and different. Like it wasn't the same remote. It was aweird thing and freaked me. Today I just eel a bit flat again, but i'm putting it down to tiredness from the last few good days.

Maybe things are lookng up now!
(Dare I say/believe it?)
John x

Hi John,

Glad to hear you had a good few days, Well done :D

You are doing very well, glad you found out it's your anxiety that was causing you all that distress. Well done for going to the shopping center :D

Sorry to hear that your not feeling very great, hope you feel better soon.

keep up the good work.

Yvonne :hugs:

superjonboy
07-05-10, 19:47
I dont tink im getting any better. I've been up and down but tonight I feel really bad.

I dont even know i it is anxiety or some form of severe mental illness starting.

I feel so weird.

Fed up of it. Cant take much more.

John.

yvonne_uk_98
08-05-10, 14:28
I dont tink im getting any better. I've been up and down but tonight I feel really bad.

I dont even know i it is anxiety or some form of severe mental illness starting.

I feel so weird.

Fed up of it. Cant take much more.

John.

Hi John,

Sorry to hear your not feeling great, anxiety can cause you to feel really horrible and weird, hang in there, keep posting in here and let us know how you are feeling every day. you are not alone in this. I will keep you in my prayers, hope you feel better soon.

sending you lots of hugs :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

You will get through this, you can do this, I have faith in you. Take one day at a time.

Yvonne