PDA

View Full Version : Last night - scary

matthew
18-03-10, 08:43
Hi all,

I have been feeling a little anxious over the past few days and I'm unsure as to why.

Last night when I was trying to get to sleep, everytime I was about to nod off I woke up with this feeling of fear and slight panic and also very slightly out of breath.

What is this?

Does anyone else get this?

How do I overcome this next time?

It was awful I couldn't manage to get to sleep for 2 hours.

I have also been having weird pains all over my body. Does anyone else get pains up their left arm and in to their chest?

Thanks for your help!

Matt

Danny_dingle
18-03-10, 08:53
Hi Matt,

Yes I frequently used to get that feeling when I went to bed, it really is very frightening! But please don't worry - when you are anxious it makes your body speed up, and as such you shock yourself awake when you are trying to drop off to sleep - like your head wants sleep but your body is going 'nope sorry, far too awake!'. And this also causes a tight chest from breathing differently and makes various parts of your body tingle (usually to do with nerve endings).

So please don't worry, these are very very typical anxiety reactions you are describing!

Do you know what might have bought this little bout on anxiety on? And are you seeing anyone about it? I know when I got anxious seeing a counsellor helped me an awful lot.

But if not, why not try something like Kalms to help your body wind down naturally? Or any other herbal relaxing/sleep tablet? They are always good because they are non-habit forming and they definitely do help your body to slow down, and hopefully give you a better night's sleep!

Good luck with it all, take care,

Danny

matthew
18-03-10, 09:04
Hi Danny,

Thanks for your reply.

It started at the end of last week. Unsure why. I think I had a tough week at work and then on Friday evening went to my in-laws and had a few glasses of wine. Then on Saturday and Sunday I had some more wine over lunch and dinner which I don't think helped.

I hadn't felt anxious for months and then I felt it slowly creeping in again.

I have cut out the alcahol (I generally do not drink much - only at weekends) I enjoy going to the gym 6 days per week.

I also found out at the weekend that my younger sister (20) has been pregnant for 3 months with her ex-ish boyfriend who has treated her appaulingly for 4 years.

I'm sure I'll get past this again in no time - I hope!

Danny_dingle
18-03-10, 09:07
Wow!

Sounds like a bit of a mad week! My life's been a little bit like that recently and I've had bits of that anxious feeling crawling back, which annoys me as I've been so happy for so long, but how I'm looking at it is this is just a phase and hopefully, once I've settled into my new job, it should pass. Hopefully! :yesyes:

And at least we have all these great people on here to talk to if needs be. :)

I really hope everything sorts itself out soon for you matey,

Take care,

Danny xxx

matthew
18-03-10, 09:14
Hi,

As it happens I own my own headhunting business and I know exactly how you feel when changing jobs.

It is a natural feeling to feel anxious when you are walking into the unknown, but I am sure you will be fine and once you have settled in to the job these feelings will settle down.

Good Luck!

tasia
18-03-10, 10:54
Hi there,
I get this from time to time too. it happens just as you are falling off to sleep ..suddenly you wake with a jolt and a feeling of breathlessness...please dont worry its all anxiety related...try to cut down on the alcohol that doesnt help even if it is just weekends...try a warm drink before bedtime, reading a book something to relax you..you will be fine its truly nothing to worry about..take care x

ronski
18-03-10, 17:58
Hi Matthew it sounds as though you are hyperventilating which is a major factor in escilating anxiety and panic. Try calming your breathing but do not take big breaths as that makes matters far worse. Do you find you yawn a lot or sniff constantly, if you do it is a sure sign you are hyperventilating.

Dazo
19-03-10, 06:53
This happens to also, i have had it often so i know g,how scary i can be. Its like pure fear is wahing over you while about to sleep.
The breathing gets out of control too.

claire_2910
19-03-10, 14:02
Hi i have problems occasionally with sleeping, where i will wake up suddenly in my sleep and i have to flick the light on. Because its dark sometimes i struggle to find the light (which is just above my bed) and i panic even more. Sometimes i cant catch my breathe so i just try breathing techniques and usually play on my phone for a while until i feel a bit better and try going back to sleep.
A few nights ago i woke up three times from really really bad dreams which scared me and i then thought i couldnt breathe.
The past two nights i have made myself a hot milk to take to bed and i have slept like a log and havent woken up at all until 6.30 in the morning, when usually i wake up loads in the night from things that are unsettling me.
Give it ago, hopefully it should work... it helps babies sleep! haha.
Good luck claire x :yesyes: