PDA

View Full Version : Paul McKenna hypnosis CD's

kate
12-02-04, 16:42
I recently ordered two Paul McKenna CD's from Amazon.

They are "Stop smoking for good" and "Supreme self confidence". As they were only about £7 each I thought I would give them a go.

They have now arrived but there is a warning on the reverse as follows:-

"Do not listen to this product if you suffer from epilepsy, clinical depression or any other nervous or psychiatric condition"

Well, as I most definately fall within the latter section, I was wondering if anyone could advise me what is likely to happen to me should I listen to the CD's.

Will I go completely off my trolley or take off all my clothes and run naked through the supermarket? [:I]

Any advise anyone???

Kate x

mico
12-02-04, 17:24
Hi Kate

Many similar product have such warnings attached to them somewhere. I think one of the main reasons is because they have been advised by their lawyers 'just in case'.

I don't really like posting this and giving people new things to worry about but too much relaxation can have the opposite effect to what you want, essentially making you more anxious. And Hypnosis is basically a form of relaxation. The people who are most likely to suffer from effects of over relaxation are those who are very susceptible to relaxed trance like states and are getting into deeper states of relaxation than most people. Obviously the more time you spend doing it the more relaxed you become, but for many of us panickers it can be difficult to achieve that level of relaxation, so really we arn't too susceptible. For me it can sometimes take hours to get into a deep state of relaxation, but once I feel I'm into that state where I no longer feel any restlessnes or niggling thoughts then I only remain there for about ten minutes.

I wouldn't worry about it Kate, unless you do it all day every day, if you just do what it says then it may well do you a lot of good.

If your really worried then ask your doctor for any advice but I don't think it's going to make you run round the supermarket naked! :D

Hope your doing well Kate

mico

p.s. Have you tried Alan Carr's book on smoking, I know it's been mentioned a lot in other posts but I would definately recommend it!

jollywalrus
09-03-04, 19:42
Hi Kate,
I too have made the same mistake as you. I have just received my Mckenna tapes after seeing his brilliant phobia results on tv, but the warning has really worried me! My husband (so laid back he falls over) has told me to stop being so silly and listen to them. I just wondered what you did and if it worked for you.
Would you mind letting me know?
Thanks
Christine

kate
09-03-04, 22:09
Hiya Christine,

Despite everyone advising me that I would be ok listening to them, to be perfectly honest the warning did bother me.

SO, I haven't listened to them! They are lying in the drawer, where I put them when I first received them!!

Kate x

nomorepanic
09-03-04, 22:43
Kate

Sell them on ebay or on here. Shame to waste the money.

Nicola

jollywalrus
10-03-04, 08:09
Thanks for the reply Kate. I fear mine may be appearing on Ebay soon! It just seemed such a good idea at the time!
We anxiety people are funny really. People think we are weak because we suffer with our nerves, but in fact we never give up trying to feel better!!
Oh well, back to the tried and tested methods - accept,face, float, let time pass.
Love Christine

kate
10-03-04, 17:22
Hiya Christine,

I agree, seemed like a good idea at the time!!

Had I realised that there was a warning on them, I would never have ordered them!!!

Don't really know what I even think will happen should I listen to them!

What is the warning for? What has happened to other panickers who have tried them for them to even put a warning on there???

Might sell them back to Amazon LOL

Kate x

apricot
10-03-04, 18:29
Hi,

I have tried quite a few of the cd,s. I have tried the Paul McKenna eliminate Stress. On it he asks you to start counting backwards from 300 in 3's. I think this warning may be on for people who suffer from schizophrenia (if that is how you spell it) - hearing voices.

As whilst listening, you are hearing him talking but you can also hear him talking in the distance, if you can understand. You seem to tune into one voice and then switch and tune into the other, it is something to do with the subconsious, I think.

You hear him saying, you are calm, etc... If they were that dangerous, they wouldn't be allowed to be marketed. Like all relaxation cd's, only listening when you can relax and will not be disturbed.

Hope this helps,

Nikki

Turn 'what ifs' into 'I can' and you will.

twister
10-03-04, 23:54
Why dont you listen to them without relaxing first. Or get your husband to listen to them so he can check they are fine and not telling you to do a naked chicken dance in the supermarket!

I listen to relaxation CD's and they are fine. It is true that some people can panic more when they relax because they are not used to it but I believe it is something that can be overcome.

Emily

jollywalrus
11-03-04, 14:11
Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to have a go tonight, so if you don't hear from me again...................!!!
Christine

Lottie32
11-03-04, 15:23
I love my relaxation tape, and that is a hypnotic whatsit one.

It doesn't have any warnings on it though! Maybe I can pretend that it's made me more mad/depressed and retire from work on the compensation?

Allen Carrs book is quite good Kate. I'm half way through it (I've been reading it on the exercise bike in the gym - over excertion and coughing up phlegm are good ways to promote actually following the book ha ha)

Don't buy one though - if you don't mind giving me your address at some point, I can post you mine when I've finished it (it may take another couple of weeks if you can wait that long)

Love

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

kate
11-03-04, 17:45
Cheers, Charlie,

Yes I'll give you my address. Just let me know when you have coughed your way through the book!!

Why do you think they put these warnings on the CD's then? Have they tested them on "panickers" and got some strange results?????

Thanks again Charlie

Kate x

kate
11-03-04, 17:47
Emily,

Thanks for the advice, I will get hubby to listen to them first then I will listen without actually relaxing.

Good idea, cheers!

Kate x

Lottie32
11-03-04, 17:57
Kate

I'm not sure, but I blame it all on the claim culture we seem to have caught from America.

Nobody takes responsibility for their own actions any more - but thats another post and I'm not starting on that one now!!!!!

I suppose the warning on the hypnosis tapes are like the contra indications on the medicine packets - just cos there are on there it DOESN'T mean that they will affect you, but that ONE person at some point has suffered some side effect or another!

Personally, I think we just get out of the practice of relaxing. I have only just started to "chill" again, but I actually used to get anxious if I thought that my only option for the night was to stay in with a cup of cocoa and the telly for company! Bizzare or what.

Anyway, read some more book on the exercise bike and did the first ten minutes up one level for extra effect, and going to the gym on Saturday morning too, so hope to have finished the book very shortly. I'll let you know when I have and will pass it on then!

I suppose one thing about not moving too far is that you won't have to worry about finding all the best shops, bars, pubs, restarants, schools etc. and you won't have the trauma of supporting your kids through change of schools.

Once the kids have gone, then you can do what you want (although a word of warning - I've moved back home twice, and I'm still there now at 33, and unless house prices start to drop, I'll be here for the considerable future too!

Love

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

mico
12-03-04, 13:11
Hi Kate

If your really worried about it, then ask your doctor, they will beable to give you advice, you'll probably find that they recommend it.

I think it could do you a lot of good to listen to it, I really believe that in our anxiety stricken lives we need to find time for good relaxation to bring our general levels of anxiety down, and that CD may be really good for you. Charlie's right about the 'claim culture', warnings like that are commonplace, but like I said if your really worried then ask your doctor, at least then you can feel more reasured about it.

mico