PDA

View Full Version : Am I a mean person?

Granny Primark
20-03-10, 20:55
As most parents do we help our children.
Theres nothing more gratifying than seeing our children get on in life.
I want to see my 2 children have a good lifestyle and my darling grandaughters have everything.
However my daughters partner is helping his parents financially.
Thats brill and shows what a caring loving son he is.
But my daughter comes to us to lend her money which most times we never get back.
I buy food for them and buy clothes for me grandaughter.
Theres nothing that gives me more pleasure.:D
At the mo I just feel that helping and giving my daughter and her partner and me little grandaughter should stop and just give her partners parents.
Does that make sense?

Corinne
20-03-10, 21:19
Yep, it makes sense to me. I have two grown daughters off on their own with their own families, and I find myself in the same situation as you. My daughter's husband isn't helping his parents though. He just spends money foolishly at times and then they are short. So who do they come to -- the First National Bank of Mom. I do have to say though that my daughter will pay me back. It may take her a while, but she does.

I would like to kick her hubby in the butt though. You don't buy big things for the house when bills are due.

eternally optimistic
20-03-10, 21:37
I also get what you're saying, totally.

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

You probably feel like you are always the one giving and would like a bit more appreciation, maybe.

london
20-03-10, 23:24
its your money keeping the partners parents he should have more guts than to keep asking for money if he wants to give money to his parents. well done let him get another job its not up to you

eeyorelover
21-03-10, 22:51
Lynn,
You definitely aren't mean!!
That's the first thing I wanted to tell you.

It's obvious how much you love your family and anyone who has a heart as big as you do could never be mean!

That being said there is a time when you have to say enough is enough and perhaps you've hit that point.
Your daughter is grown and altho I know you love to help out her and the grandbaby, sometimes the best thing you can do is to say no.
Not even say no, maybe just say 'I don't have it right now' when she asks.

Obviously they aren't hurting for money if they are able to help his family and it isn't your responsibility to give them spending money.
If you feel like contributing then buy the grandbaby clothes or a new toy just because you want to :)

xxx
Sandy