PDA

View Full Version : Need to travel - developed a fear of panicking whilst out

mumble
20-03-10, 21:03
Recently I've become very anxious about going out and being too far from home, and fearing having a panic attack, or just generally being anxious whilst out - in the car, bus, shop.

I have had to leave university, but I now need to move down south to live with my fiance - it's annoying because my brain knows that going in the car is not an issue, it's only about an hour or so, and I've done is so many times, and can just play games, etc. But as soon as I got in there my throat began tensing etc and I couldn't get through it - and it's frustrating because I desperately want/need to be down there with him, and be able to get medical help and such.

I'm hoping to try again this next weekend with some diazepam - I've taken about 10mg before and felt a slight effect, but not enough to get me out there - I'm considering taking perhaps 15mg?

ecb
20-03-10, 21:04
i experience this also such as when im driving and if im running far from home. my fear is that if something happens to me, no one will be there to help me or know who i am. it is a perfectly natural fear. set yourself small targets and strive to keep achieving them. Good luck x

lizzie29
20-03-10, 22:08
I too worry about being away from home, and I can totally see how moving away would worry you. Try to focus on the positives - you won't be on your own, you'll be with your fiance, it's a start of a new chapter for you together, and hopefully for you to get medical help and start getting better. It's like a big exciting adventure, and moving away might be just what you need. What I'd do about the car journey is break the hour up, which is something I do all the time in anxious situations. It's an hour long, so have fixed in your mind half an hour. Then when you've done that, it's all downhill cos you've done half so can do it again! And try to think of that time as an episode of your favourite tv programme or something - when you're doing something you like, half an hour is nothing and goes quickly, so if you're distracted it can go quickly in the car too.

Good luck - I know it's scary and you must be feeling torn between wanting to do it and it being har,d but you CAN do it and I'm sure you'll be glad you did! :)

Anxious_gal
21-03-10, 00:33
in regards to the meds, I always try taking half the dose and if that doesn't help I will take the rest as a full dose for me really knocks me out!

Macchiavelli
21-03-10, 02:43
same here, i need to be near to help seems stupid to me but I just think the worst is going to happen

alias_kev
21-03-10, 13:03
I'm assuming you mean you've got to get yourself there.

Not that I'd normally encourage giving in, but assuming this is a semi-permanent move - so its a one off journey - is there anyone who could come and collect you or take you down? That would overcome the immediate problem and get you to your boyfriend and better support. (Even a minicab or man with a van if you've lots of stuff.)

Sometimes the trick is to know when to be tough and self sufficient and when to sidestep our worst responses. Its like getting a lift to the Drs to make sure we get there and get help. Its very different from never doing stuff on our own.

mumble
21-03-10, 13:07
I'm assuming you mean you've got to get yourself there.

Not that I'd normally encourage giving in, but assuming this is a semi-permanent move - so its a one off journey - is there anyone who could come and collect you or take you down? That would overcome the immediate problem and get you to your boyfriend and better support. (Even a minicab or man with a van if you've lots of stuff.)

Sometimes the trick is to know when to be tough and self sufficient and when to sidestep our worst responses. Its like getting a lift to the Drs to make sure we get there and get help. Its very different from never doing stuff on our own.

Yes, the only problem is... I tried to even go with my dad in his car and could feel myself getting anxious. I almost feel like I maybe could right now, but it takes him about an hour to get here, and I don't know how I'll feel by then and don't want it to be wasted.

margaret jones
21-03-10, 13:13
Mumble poor you it is a horrid feeling but try and do it you will be so glad that you have achieved something that it will help to get you started on the road to recovery

Good Luck i am going out with hubby for a drive this pm and panicky already but i am going and i will be ok so will you xxxxx

alias_kev
22-03-10, 21:36
Hey Mumble, really sorry to hear its as bad as that. :hugs:I'd hoped it was just doing the journey on your own. Glad to hear your Dad is supporting you. When you posted last week it didn't sound like the phobia's on being out/travelling were quite that bad. Really feel sorry for you. My phobia's & anxiety are bad enough but I really feel for those of you who get trapped in this way.

From my own illness some of our anxiety is real fear/panic (blown out of proportion by our illness) , some is just anticipation that it could go that way (fear of the fear), and some is habit (as we get so used to being that way). If you've had your meds you may find that its more the anticipation & habit that's stopping you making the trip. That's almost as tough to beat but is more beatable than the core fear.

In a way this journey is the real step in leaving your course and changing your life again. That's quite a big frightening step even for normal people, but for people like us its a new set of concerns and fears. This may be why you are suffering so much now.

I really hope you can work this out.

mumble
23-03-10, 01:17
Thank you, you're very right about the anticipation - it's the worst part, I need to just quieten my brain/ignore it. Which sometimes works.

Yes oddly enough earlier I was packing a few things and got really upset and anxious, it just reminded me of why I moved here in the first place a few months ago... and just sort of having to do all of that again - and also today I cancelled my student loan, so it was another sort of end to the chapter, as well as having a friend from the course not being very understanding. It's been quite weird.

And thank you everyone else for the replies - it's great to have the support, and in a way, to know others suffer with similar feelings... not that anyone should have to feel that way - it's just a bit of a relief.

alias_kev
23-03-10, 12:51
Yeah, anticipation is our worst enemy I think. It puts us off trying - fear of fear we could call it. Sometimes the thing to do is to distract yourself right up until the moment of doing something. It doesn't always work but it avoids the build up and mental stewing.

Overall - well change and uncertainty seem to me to be two of the biggest triggers for anxiety, especially the GAD kind. So there is the problem that even in coping and moving forward you have to undergo more change and uncertainty. I really feel for you (and others the same). Its tough having this battle in my 40s but I feel real grief for those of you who battle it so young.

Thinking of you.

mumble
27-03-10, 19:34
Thanks for all the kind words - I managed to do it today!
Through a mixture of stopping my mind thinking of negative things, 2 bags of Valerian tea, only 4 hours sleep, and half an Ativan, plus talking to my dad during the whole journey (thought I'd fall asleep)... I was okay. Bit edgy, but certainly not anxious as I had been this time last week. The Ativan worked wonders.

I'm now here with my fiance, went out for a walk to the shops, got our bunny a new cage... feeling very sleepy now however, and sort of just... yeah, weird? Or something. Just trying to settle into a new place again now and plan to see the doc next week and get this recovery on the road.

alias_kev
27-03-10, 21:07
Yeh!!!! :yesyes::yesyes::yesyes::bighug1:
Well done Mumble. :shades: Its great news that you managed to conquer the anticipation and just cope with the journey. Hope your Dad's earache improves soon... :roflmao:

It could be you're going to feel much better with having your boyfriend about and "change being as good as a rest". On the other hand even that may feel quite weird if you've been wound up with anxiety for ages.

Equally you may take a while to adjust to new company, a new place and not having college. Change and anxiety sufferers can be a complex thing - sometimes we really need it, sometimes it knocks us.

Take care, and well done too for planning to see a Dr soon.

mumble
27-03-10, 21:43
Thank you Kev! I think it'll certainly help having him around now, I'm not so good on my own all the time. But I will take time to adjust to the new surroundings, new house, new life ultimately.

willz88
28-03-10, 11:41
Recently I've become very anxious about going out and being too far from home, and fearing having a panic attack, or just generally being anxious whilst out - in the car, bus, shop.

I have had to leave university, but I now need to move down south to live with my fiance - it's annoying because my brain knows that going in the car is not an issue, it's only about an hour or so, and I've done is so many times, and can just play games, etc. But as soon as I got in there my throat began tensing etc and I couldn't get through it - and it's frustrating because I desperately want/need to be down there with him, and be able to get medical help and such.

I'm hoping to try again this next weekend with some diazepam - I've taken about 10mg before and felt a slight effect, but not enough to get me out there - I'm considering taking perhaps 15mg?

you need to go down in the car without ur meds and keep doing it, cus if u go down with meds all the time u forget them one time ur gunna panic so much so try to do it with out them its not easy, but u will realise there is nothing to worry about and nothing will happen to you!

trust me i felt the same way n i still do sometimes. confront the anxiety show it whos boss gud luck luv