PDA

View Full Version : Cold prickling sensation

Carys
21-03-10, 08:29
This is driving me crazy at the moment and if this is a stress/anxiety symptom then it is not one I've had before, so would be grateful for some advice or reassurance. It started very suddenly a week ago with a kind of pricking feeling in one leg, then as I thought about it and got more anxious it moved to another leg, then an arm. Since then it has randomly appeared all over, thigh, torso, arm, calf, hand etc. It is very quick and feels like a few little tiny cold needles touching you and then it is gone again. I know it is not hyperventilation and have read the symptom information from the forums and can't quite find anything that fits this description (not itching or 'crawling' feeling). I am making the assumption it is over sensitised nerves causing this skin response ? Has anyone ever had this and are able to reassure me ?

Carys
21-03-10, 11:11
Nobody, anybody ? :D

suzy-sue
21-03-10, 11:23
It is caused by over sensitized nerves as you say Carys ..Just try to keep relaxed and ignore it .tho I understand it can be difficult ..It always seems to help knowing what is exactly causing the problem .IT WILL GO once you become more relaxed .Like all symptoms the more attention you pay to them the worse they seem to get ...Sue :)

Carys
21-03-10, 11:24
Thanks Sue, just never had it before so it is freaking me out.

KK77
21-03-10, 13:18
It's interesting watching symptoms like this and their relationship to anxiety because as you say, it usually starts off in just one area and then seems to spread the more we worry and focus on it - which is a very good indication that it's anxiety playing havoc with our nervous system, resulting in these weird sensations.

I've had these sensations many times and now that I don't worry about them being anything serious they don't seem to hang around long. The only time to worry is if they are constant or accompanied by other symptoms.

I really wouldn't let it worry you - and you'll find that they soon disappear.

Carys
21-03-10, 13:41
MMm, that is a good point; that it starts in one area and then spreads the more we focus. As you indicate, that would not be possible if it were something more sinister. It feels kind of like cold pin pricks, very sudden for a second and then it moves somewhere else. I just need to FORGET, but.....that is the hard bit isn't it...:roflmao:

peytonbusch
23-03-10, 10:22
The painful sensations produced by a laceration, freeze, burn, muscle strain or internal injury are readily distinguishable because each is characterized by a particular sensory quality such as sharp, aching, burning or prickling. We propose that there are specific neural correlates of each pain quality, and here we used a new functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) method to identify time-locked responses to prickle sensations that were evoked by noxious cold stimuli.

carli
23-03-10, 14:01
Hi carys, i get this all the time hunny. Its really awful but the more you worry over it then the more it will stay :doh: Iwish i could take my own advice,lol. Hope you feel better soon hun. xxxxx

Carys
23-03-10, 20:22
Hey Carli, have you rung up and gotten your results yet ? I really hope you find the strength to soon, I'm sure they will be fine (wish I could take my own advice too LOL!)