PDA

View Full Version : St Johns Wort and Thyroid

Mazzmate
21-03-10, 13:46
Looking for a bit of advice but not willing to submit to Dr Google, am anxious enough thanks!!! Anyway I have been taking SJW for around 7 weeks and am beginning to feel that it may be interfering with my thyroxine. I intend to stop taking it but am wondering if I should do it gradually rather than abruptly. Reason I am concerned is that I was put on statins, twice, the first ones didn't agree with me, made me feel as if I was being poisoned, so they were changed and the same thing happened, and after 6 weeks just stopped taking them, and 2 days later had my first ever panic attack which frightened me so much. I will never tske statins again if I can possibly avoid them. Have been having anxiety problems on and off ever since, but gradually they have been improving so don't want to withdraw from SJW as abruptly for fear of same thing happening. Problem is I don't want them in my system for much longer either because I don't like the feelings of trembling in my arms and legs that seem to have reappeared like with the statins. Any advice please, would be very grateful.:)

worry_bunny
22-03-10, 01:18
I found this small piece of info on st johns wort and thyroxine

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-81586/Can-St-Johns-Wort-taken-thyroxine.html

Coming off st johns wort gradually or suddenly would depend on if your taking any meds at the moment. Best thing to do it call your doc and ask or try somewhere like holland and barratt who seem to sell a lot of st johns wort so are probably used to such enquiries.

Good luck :)