PDA

View Full Version : Question for ladies - extremely irregular periods anything to worry about

louise123_uk
21-03-10, 15:46
Since starting my periods at 11, they have always been extremely irregular in every way possible.

For example for a couple of months they may be ok and come every 4 to 5 weeks (there is never a set patern of days), thn for maybe 3 months Il get them every 10 days, and then they might go to once every 2 months, back to every 4 to 5 weeks again maybe a month were I get about 3 shor periods etc!!

Plus they vary how long they last anything from 6 to 11 days, but never less than about 6 days. They also vary alot in terms of how heavy they are. Usually the longer they last the lighter they are. Theyre never extremely heavy though I wouldnt say.

I suffer from no signs of PMS at all, no mood swings, no pain or cramps or any discomfort at all before or during periods etc so im lucky there.

I mentioned this to a doc when went about something else and she said sounded like nothing at all to be worried about since they had always been like that and was probs a hormonal thing I shouldnt worry about. Ive never taken birth control pill and am 26.

Should I be worried?? Couldnt be signs of cervical cancer or abnormal cells could it? (Have never been examined or had a smear test)

Maj
21-03-10, 15:53
I think if you've always been like this then it's nothing to worry about. It'd be different if you had changes all of a sudden. I think it would still be a good idea to have a smear as it's a good habit to get into having one and they only need done every few years.
Myra x

louise123_uk
21-03-10, 16:06
Well I think they have always been very irregular as far as I can remember, i just never thought anything of it before till started thinking about cervical cancer with the ehole jade goody thing

Maj
21-03-10, 16:22
I think what happened to Jade made everyone think, it was so sad. But it's a great chance to make sure you have a regular smear, then you can stop worrying about it and put it behind you.
Myra x

louise123_uk
21-03-10, 16:23
Terrified of having a smear test.... Never been examined down there, plus think id be a bag of nerves about results, think id seriously lose it if anything was abnormal in slightest!! im er a virgin, so thts mostly why never had one done as didnt think was essential for me

Maj
21-03-10, 16:31
Sorry! I don't usually assume! No, there's probably no need for you to have a smear at the moment, but if your doctor thinks everything with you is normal then I'd try not to worry about it. I know it's difficult but if it's something that is normal for you then I don't think you need to worry.
Take care
Myra x

sarahsarah
21-03-10, 16:39
I'd agree -if the doc thinks this is normal for you, try to take this on board and stop worrying.

Just a quick question Louise- are you overweight? I only ask this because I was and my periods were all over the place- exactly as you described. As soon as I started losing weight, they got better and better and when I had shifted a few stone, they became regular as clockwork and have been perfect ever since. I even get cramps now, which I welcome as they are a sign everything is running normally for me.

Of course there are many reasons why our periods can be irregular which are nothing to do with weight, I just thought sharing my experience might help xx

louise123_uk
21-03-10, 16:42
Im probs slightly underweight, my BMI is about 18, which I think is at the lowest end of normal for me height. Ive always been this weight, and have always had low BMI (though was probs underweight when I was a teenager, just a natural thing)

sarahsarah
21-03-10, 16:48
Weight really does have a bearing on our periods as oestrogen is stored in our fat BUT your GP is obviously aware of your weight, not that you are massively underweight or anything, and obviously thinks this isn't an issue.

Have you considered some form of birth control to help regulate/ control your periods? xx

ectopicsufferer
21-03-10, 19:12
I have suffered from irregular periods all my life it is definitely nothing to worry about xxxx

iris333
21-03-10, 19:23
I always suffered irregular periods but a few years ago they just became regular out of the blue:shrug:I think they were more irregular when i was more upset and depressed with life.

louise123_uk
25-03-10, 15:16
Is it really bad that ive never had a smear test thus far in my life (26 and never been sexually active)?

I really cant stand the thought of going, plus id freak out big time waiting a couple of weeks for test results! Ive heard its not all that reliable and I just dont feel its worth it probs at this point in my life.... any thoughts?

Thumbelina
25-03-10, 16:04
Hi Louise, I has iregular periods for 2 years almost.

It was terible, but period are the last ones to come back wen you are anxious.

When i relaxed t came back regularily.

Thanks

Marina

louise123_uk
30-03-10, 13:37
I would consider taking the pill, I think Im wrried about why theyre so random just when you hear so much about cervical cancer thses days. Plus, a girl at work whos 22, who demanded a smear tst, has to have abnormal cells burnt from her cervix, so at 26 this makes me panic what could b wrong with me, though assuming would have pain by now!

I know I would just become a hysterical wreck if I had a smear test and had abnormal cells!! (not even thinking about how the tst results could comeback even worse). How long d you wait for test results, about a week? (thts such a long time to pani tho!!)

Cell block H fan
30-03-10, 13:53
Since starting my periods at 11, they have always been extremely irregular in every way possible.

For example for a couple of months they may be ok and come every 4 to 5 weeks (there is never a set patern of days), thn for maybe 3 months Il get them every 10 days, and then they might go to once every 2 months, back to every 4 to 5 weeks again maybe a month were I get about 3 shor periods etc!!

Plus they vary how long they last anything from 6 to 11 days, but never less than about 6 days. They also vary alot in terms of how heavy they are. Usually the longer they last the lighter they are. Theyre never extremely heavy though I wouldnt say.

I suffer from no signs of PMS at all, no mood swings, no pain or cramps or any discomfort at all before or during periods etc so im lucky there.

I mentioned this to a doc when went about something else and she said sounded like nothing at all to be worried about since they had always been like that and was probs a hormonal thing I shouldnt worry about. Ive never taken birth control pill and am 26.

Should I be worried?? Couldnt be signs of cervical cancer or abnormal cells could it? (Have never been examined or had a smear test)

There are no signs for abnormal cells hun, I had treatment for them twice when I was 21. So it wont be that. It could be your weight, ideal BMI is between 19 & 22. My daugter is age 13, stick thin, I think thats why her periods haven't started at all yet. I worked with a woman that was underweight & her periods were all over the place. Ive actually put my daughter on Build up shakes every other day to hopefully build her up a bit.
The fact you are a virgin gives you very little chance of getting cervical cancer apparently, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. As you put on weight (even if thats after you've had children, because I was only 7.7 stone as an 18 yr old but have a BMI of 26 now after having kids!) you might find things settle into more of a routine.
x

louise123_uk
30-03-10, 13:59
If anything though its never been that my periods are often that spaced out, the iregularities were more they were much too frequent so dont think was that much to do with weight as that causes a lack of periods and ive never had that, my doc rckons im the ideal weigh for my height. By too frquent I mean sometimes they would be every 10 days, sometimes every 3 weeks, sometimes every 4 days, then it might go on to for maybe 2 periods that were maybe 5 to 6 weeks apart and then go back to being very frequent, then just to be akward Il get maybe 4 periods that are the usual month apart.

louise123_uk
30-03-10, 14:07
Would anxiety make them much more frequent than they should be though? Ive never suffered from a lack of them its the very occassional maybe one period a year that is 6 to 7 weeks apart from the last, the rest are annoyingly frequent, no matter how stressed I am or if ive lost weigt

anthrokid
30-03-10, 14:13
I'm not sure, but I know each body works in it's own way. I don't think it's a worry to have them more frequently personally. If they've always been annoyingly frequent it's probably just the way your body works :)

Cell block H fan
30-03-10, 17:43
If anything though its never been that my periods are often that spaced out, the iregularities were more they were much too frequent so dont think was that much to do with weight as that causes a lack of periods and ive never had that, my doc rckons im the ideal weigh for my height. By too frquent I mean sometimes they would be every 10 days, sometimes every 3 weeks, sometimes every 4 days, then it might go on to for maybe 2 periods that were maybe 5 to 6 weeks apart and then go back to being very frequent, then just to be akward Il get maybe 4 periods that are the usual month apart.

Possibly not to do with weight then, my work friend would skip them all the time due to her weight.
It must be a bit annoying if they can be frequent! It doesn't sound like they are short either?
I wonder if or when you do start a family, they might settle down to the norm a bit more? I personally did used to get terrible periods, very heavy & very painful, but they are neither now, & only last about 3 days.
But everyone is different as someone else mentioned.
xx

louise123_uk
18-07-10, 10:55
Recently my periods have started to show up every 2 weeks! This month 3 days ago I had traces of blood in discharge, and so thought period would start properly maybe in the next day or two, as sometimes I have blood in discharge anything from a day to a week before period, though not before every period, this is a rather spordic happening. Anyway I had sex with boyfriend day after this and there ws some blood on condom afterwards (sorry for too much info). I assumed this was period getting slightly heavier, as sometimes the blood in discharge will get more noticeable and then period will start. However, later that day I sarted to get a think very dark brown discharge, they way I occassionally do at end of period. I know this means old blood right? But havent actually had period yet! Indeed dont even know if will have period as theres no specific time between periods as ive mentioned in this thread.

Has anyone ever had a v thick brown discharge before their period? Or between periods? Is it anything to worry on. Only been sexually active maybe 4 months, and havent had a smear test yet at 26. Could this brown discharge be a sign of cervical cancer? I have read that constantly not ovulating properly as Im probs not according to the doc with having extemely irregular periods, can lead to cervial cancer!!! My doc didnt say culd lead to cancer i read this,but did say was v likely not vulating properly my whole life ive had periods, but just shruged and never suggested treating this! Is this a symptom, im worried would be v advanced if it is, as know cervical cancer symptoms dont show up until late!

evekins
18-07-10, 13:20
Hi,

My daughter has had exactly the same problem since 11. She is a competitive swimmer and athletes often have this problem. I don't know if you do a lot of sport.
She now takes the pill which means she knows exactly when she'll get them and it's taken the worry away for the time being.

Good luck:yahoo: