PDA

View Full Version : Is 5mg of Cipralex enough to help me? Please read

jool5
22-03-10, 13:00
Hi Folks

I have twice in the past been in Citalopram (10mg) and it virtually cured me ( mild depression and constant anxiety(GAD) plus bit of social anxiety & therefore bit of agorophobia).

Although the Citalopram was great, it took ages to kick in (6 weeks ish) and I had awful side effects. My problem has now returned so I went to the doctors two weeks ago and she prescribed me 50mg Trazodone for my problem which has done naff all (in fact made me worse) and since looking on the Net, it is totally wrong for me anyway and is mainly for insomnia.

Been doing a bit of reading about Escitalopram and the possibility that it may work quicker/have less side effects than Citalopram drew me to it. I went to see the doc this morning and had a right battle trying to get it (presumably because of the cost) so I had to be very forthright. Anyway, I eventually came away with the Escitalopram but as I was only on a low dose of Citalopram, I asked for a low dose of this and got 5mg.

Having searching the Net (as you do!lol), I'm now not sure if 5mg will be enough to sort me out??!! Took my first one about 30 minutes ago and absolutely crapping myself about all the dodgy side effects!

Anywaym would love to hear any advice, particularly anyone for whom 5mg of Escitalopram has worked for the anxiety as would love to read something that will perk me up and help me though the side effects!

Many thanks
Jools x

suzy-sue
22-03-10, 13:45
5MG OF THIS IS EQUIVALENT TO 10MG OF CITALOPRAM ..So should work for you ...Good luck and im sure you will be ok once you stop worrying about this ...Take each day as it comes ,and get plenty of rest:hugs:...All the best Sue

jool5
22-03-10, 14:05
hi Sue

Thank you so much for your reply. Do you have personal experience of Citalopram/Escitalopram?

I thought that 5mg of Cipralex was equivalent to 10mg Citalopram too but when I look on the Net, I don't think I've found one person on only 5mg, they all seem to be on more for similar problems!

Thanks again

Jools x

suzy-sue
22-03-10, 14:28
Im on 30 mg of Citalopram Jools ..Every one is different ,there are people on here that only take 10 mg of cit and it works for them too ..Not many Drs will perscribe Cipralex because of the cost ,bit it is a purer form and doesnt have as many side effects ...Sue x

jool5
22-03-10, 14:35
Hi Sue
Yes I had a right job trying to get it, to the point where we nearly fell out! She was tring to give me allsorts!!

Thanks

Jools xx