PDA

View Full Version : Palpitations - My experience

Prest
23-03-10, 10:35
I am 38 and about 12 years ago I experienced missed beats/palpitations for the first time. At the time, i had just got promotion to a Supervisory position and in hindsight, I am sure this brought them on. I had an echo cardiogram, ECG, 24 hr ECG, Chest X ray and even once went into A & E as they were really violent thumping missed/extra beat that seamed to get worse. The ECG caught them but I never got told they are PAC's or PVC's just told my heart is "normal".

Now 12 years on, I am getting them again. I now however have noticed certain things (older and wiser - more anxious).

1) Even when i don't notice a jolting palp, I can take my pulse and find that my heartbeat is usually irregular i.e. skipping beats. Sometimes it 4 normal beats then a skipped. Sometimes its 30 normal beats then a skipped beat
2) When I get a hard beat that i notice, my pulse feels the same as above description.
3) I can go days with a normal rhythm and no palps but then weeks as per 1 and 2.

When I get the palps or awareness of a pulse irregularity, it fills me with anxiety and I guess thats why they persist.

I am getting worried more and more about these especially as most people seem to only feel the hard beats then they go away. I am concerned about this but more concerned about the underlying rhythm of skipped beats I can't feel which at the moment is ever present.

Anyone get this? Is it normal?

Typer
23-03-10, 10:56
Prest, yes I do get this. For few years now I have been aware of my pulse going a bit odd at times and occasionally I had a flutter in my chest (maybe once or twice a month). It started to get more regular and slowly over months became worse and worse. One time my GP took my pulse and said you are getting skipped beats now and I was totally unaware of them all, only about 1 in 10 of them.

Now sitting here, I just had a run of them and feel really dizzy now as well. The past few days they have been chronic and fill me with absolute fear.

bexmoon
24-03-10, 01:16
I am 38 and about 12 years ago I experienced missed beats/palpitations for the first time. At the time, i had just got promotion to a Supervisory position and in hindsight, I am sure this brought them on. I had an echo cardiogram, ECG, 24 hr ECG, Chest X ray and even once went into A & E as they were really violent thumping missed/extra beat that seamed to get worse. The ECG caught them but I never got told they are PAC's or PVC's just told my heart is "normal".

Now 12 years on, I am getting them again. I now however have noticed certain things (older and wiser - more anxious).

1) Even when i don't notice a jolting palp, I can take my pulse and find that my heartbeat is usually irregular i.e. skipping beats. Sometimes it 4 normal beats then a skipped. Sometimes its 30 normal beats then a skipped beat
2) When I get a hard beat that i notice, my pulse feels the same as above description.
3) I can go days with a normal rhythm and no palps but then weeks as per 1 and 2.

When I get the palps or awareness of a pulse irregularity, it fills me with anxiety and I guess thats why they persist.

I am getting worried more and more about these especially as most people seem to only feel the hard beats then they go away. I am concerned about this but more concerned about the underlying rhythm of skipped beats I can't feel which at the moment is ever present.

Anyone get this? Is it normal?
Hi there...yes this is normal although i know it doesn't feel normal...i had exactly the same symptoms and had all the tests like you . Ive been told that i have to except them, some days are more diff than most, relaxation does help along with breathing exercises:), i know how frightening they are, some days i feel so overwhelmed by them, and of cause it all ends up in a vicious circle Cu's stress exaggerates them.

I'm due to get married soon and all i keep thinking is i hope i dont get those horrid missed beats I'm trying my best to relax and keep calm.

think positive!!!!!!!! "ark at me after what Ive just said" lol....BE good to yourself im sure you r perfectly medically healthy.:)

TracyL
24-03-10, 01:54
Hi

Yes I get the exact same thing. I also have had all the tests, ecg's, echoes etc and have been told that they are normal and stop worrying. Easier said than done. I have good days and bad days. I too am having a bad time at the minute which has actually lasted a full week.

You are not alone and will find alot of support on this website.

Take care and good luck Bexmoon with the wedding :yesyes:

luv
Tracy

Typer
24-03-10, 13:04
Bexmoon, good luck with your wedding. When is it?

bexmoon
25-03-10, 00:14
bless you all thankyou ..... for my reply :bighug1:

Prest
01-04-10, 14:37
Wow, I am gettng skipped beats ALL the time. I took my pulse last night and it had no regularity to the skipped beats at all. 3 normal beats, 1 skipped, 8 normal beats 1 skipped, 4 normal beats 1 skipped, 1 normal, 1 skipped, 1 normal, 1 skipped, 3 normal etc etc etc.

I am not actually aware of these, I just feel them in my pulse. If however, I get stressed, or have to go upstairs, I can "feel" them thumping.

The more I think about it, the worse I feel about having them.

I read something reassuring somewhere from a Doctor saying as long as you don't get the equivalent of half normal, half skipped, its usually nothing to worry about as it shows that the heart resets to normal rhythm.

Even so, I feel on my own with this. Anyone get the same especially the constant skipped beats which are otherwise not noticed unless you take your pulse.

Prest

Typer
01-04-10, 19:46
Prest, yes I do get it all the time some days. but I do notice them all, or at least most of them.

They say almost all people have them but dont notice them. I would not bother to check my pulse and dont do it anymore. If I feel fine, I am fine is what I say.

Just praying to feel fine again

Miss Manic Panic
08-05-10, 14:43
I too experience palpitations.Its sooooo hard to convince yourself that anxiety is the root cause. I have recently had an ECG and a heart monitor fitted for 7 days.Both came back showing nothing wrong, yet my heart sometimes suddenly races when I jolt it,my heartbeat feels irregular at times and sometimes I get random bouts of persistant palpitations that take ages of slow breathing to stop. At times my fingers have gone numb and tingly and still Im told its stress/anxiety. Does anyone else have trouble accepting this kind of situation.It really heightens my anxiety thinking one day I may just drop down dead because of some undetected illness/anormality.

Thanks,

Hannah

shipmate
08-05-10, 17:38
Hi have had palps for around 5 years this past year been under lot of stress i seem to have them a lot more some days feel fine then palps start and somtimes last all day long i have had ecg and heart monitor 7 days been told heart ok but know waiting for echo some days feel so dizzy tied doc put me on bisoprolol for palps they are better but feeling down in the dumps

sarah jayne
18-05-10, 08:55
over the past week ive been getting lots of missed beats, Its really scaring me. Last night i was sat down eating my tea and it felt like my heart stopped and i couldnt breath, it only lasted seconds but terrified me, im going to the docs tomorrow.