PDA

View Full Version : hi im new

funkyrachael
23-03-10, 10:57
I have been to doctors and been prescribed 20mg if citalopram but after reading the posts on here i am frightened of taking it. is it worth the risk?

thanks xxx

nomorepanic
23-03-10, 11:01
Hi funkyrachael

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

gypsywomen
23-03-10, 11:07
if you put your med in search box at top of page you will be able to read othe experences,but herd its very good and works hope this helps

ectopicsufferer
23-03-10, 15:56
Hi Rachel

I take citalopram ( 10mg ) and the one thing a friend advised me to do who also took them was to take it at night so that any mild side effects you will get from initially taking it will occur whilst you are sleeping, i did do as she said and i have never had a problem with them and if anything they have been really good in helping me stabilize myself.
Hope this helps

Amanda xxxx

dulcie
23-03-10, 22:35
no probs with 20 mg and know some one on 40 - only prob they have is - slight itchy rash - and doc put them on anti-histamines don't worry it not a bad drug if it helps you

RichW
23-03-10, 23:11
Hi Rachel

I'm a complete Hypercondriac. I suffered a breakdown through chronic anxiety about 6 weeks ago. The first few weeks of citalopram were hell (don't think I should sugercoat it). But into the 3rd week things started to pick up for me. I feel less anxious, less depersonalisation BUT I am having issues getting off to sleep - this however is probably related to a phobia I developed about going to sleep a week before I went onto Citalopram. Long story short, day 3 of citalopram was my absolute worst chronic anixety - a new plateau of anxiety if you like, where I developed agoraphobia :scared15:. Anyway, Day 20 today and improving daily. You gotta be prepared to stick it out for 2 months at least! My suggestions - stay off work as long as is feasible, try to relax as often as possible and MOST importantly surround yourself with as many loved ones (friends and relatives) as possible. From my own experience, I could not have imagined going through that alone. Be honest with your loved ones about your condition and most importantly be honest with yourself.

Take care of you

Rich

feel like a loon
23-03-10, 23:18
hello I am new to this too and it has taken some courage and a sense of desperation to join!
I think I have suffered with health anxiety for longer than I care to think about and am now 38, a cardiac nurse who is finding things a bit more of a struggle lately, my current fears are numbness down one side, from my face to my leg fearful that it is a stroke but my logical head (when it works) tells me that if it were a stroke it would have come to something by now, I test myself by standing on 1 leg test my own reflexes bizarre behaviour I know, feel lightheaded and dizzy, want to go to sleep but in a state of high alert....................pretty miserable really
Just keen to talk to others who have similar stuff going on really

london
23-03-10, 23:59
well worth trying good luck god bless

Jstc198
24-03-10, 00:07
feel like a loon, you sound like you maybe from my corner of the woods??

try this...lie on yer bed, and do some deep brething exercise in through your nose slowly and out through your mouth slowly. fill those lungs.
whilst doing this, with your hands flat down on the bed, slowly lift your pinkys up and down...
i guarantee this will relax you, i use this technique a lot now and it works for me. if you feel your mind racing, try watching a comedy or read a interesting book.

feel like a loon
24-03-10, 00:32
thanks for the advice, will give it a go, breathing exercises often make me worse initially as I concentrate and then find myself gulping for breath! I will also try listening to a meditation for sleep recording on spotify, wish me luck!! hope you all get some rest too