PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and Work

blackberry1972
23-03-10, 12:15
I’ve been suffering with Anxiety since August of last year and in October I told my boss about it as I was finding it hard to concentrate on my work.
It was agreed with occupational health and my boss that I would concentrate on the more day to day work and leave the project work to other team members until by condition got better.
In February it was decided that I should return to my normal duties and on the strength of one piece of project work I am now on a measured assignment which is the start of a disciplinary against me.
Does anyone know where I stand legally on this as I’m sure you can imagine my Anxiety has taken a turn for the worse again

carli
23-03-10, 14:09
Hi blackberry, im not to sure where you stand to be honest. Try giving the C.A.B a call and what advice they can offer you. Hope all works out. x

Workplace Doctors
05-06-10, 19:43
Anxiety is feeling that everyone will experience at some point. We all experience it when faced with situations we find threatening or difficult. People may often use the term ‘stress’, but this is not the same as anxiety. Anxiety may affect somebody both mentally and physically and carry a range of symptoms. Anxiety may be caused by an ongoing worry or, as a sudden response to something that may make us feel scared or threatened (fear).

Normally, both fear and anxiety can be helpful, helping us to avoid dangerous situations, making us alert and giving us the motivation to deal with problems. However, if the feelings become too strong or go for too long, they can stop us from doing the things we want to and can make our lives miserable.

Research suggests that anxiety can be due to genes, however, someone can also become anxious due to external factors e.g. pressure or ongoing worry.
Using drugs like amphetamines, LSD or Ecstasy can sometimes cause anxiety. A simple effect like the caffeine in coffee can often be enough to cause mild anxiety.

However, it should be noted that anxiety can be due to a mixture of personality, things that have happened to someone, or life-changes such as pregnancy.

Phobias

A person with a phobia has intense symptoms of anxiety, But that will arise from time to time when confronted with something that frightens them. At other times they don't feel anxious. Examples of phobias include fear of open spaces or fear of heights
Sufferers may feel silly about their fear/phobia as they know there is no real but they are still unable to control it.

A range of options are available to deal with anxiety. Talking about the problem to friends or family can be beneficial.

Finding ways of learning to relax can help control anxiety and tension. Everything from books and video tapes to seeking professional advice can offer an insight on how to relax.

Self-help groups and psychotherapy are other options that may help come to terms with reasons for anxiety.
Medication can have a role to play if the other options are not appropriate. The most common tranquillisers are the valium-like drugs, the benzodiazepines (most sleeping tablets also belong to this class of drugs). They are very effective at relieving anxiety, but they can be addictive after only four weeks regular use. When people try to stop taking them they may experience unpleasant withdrawal symptoms which can go on for some time. These drugs should be only used for short periods, perhaps to help during a crisis. They should not be used for longer-term treatment of anxiety.

You may also wish to contact the following:

www.anxietyuk.org.uk (http://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/)

Waseem

Director BA (Hons) AIRP CertRP
Workplace Doctors

www.workplacedoctors.co.uk (http://www.workplacedoctors.co.uk/)