PDA

View Full Version : chest pains

sleeve
23-03-10, 13:16
Hi everyone who is taking the time to read this, i know there are bound to be hundreds of threads on here relating to chest pains, i think it's something everyone worries about, especially those of us with health anxiety!

Anyway, for the last couple of weeks i've been getting strange pains in my chest, they vary from short sharp random stabbing pains just an inch or so to the left and right of my sternum in the centre of my chest (between my boobs lol) to a dull achey feeling in the very middle of my chest, to a kind of 'sore' pain in the lung area.

It does hurt when i press these areas, and a couple of months ago i damaged the muscle between my ribs that surround the heart, so i don't know whether all of these random pains are just muscular and i'm worrying about them and thats making it worse?

I go on holiday next week, and on my travel insurance it explicitly says all insurance will be void if you are undergoing investigation for chest pains, so i really don't want to go to the doctor if it's nothing imminently dangerous, having said that i also don't want to go on holiday and suddenly be in extreme pain/have a heart attack or something

I should mention, i am only 18 and i have had an ECG last year which was clear, i have had health anxiety for a couple of years and i only just recieved clear results from a colonoscopy last week, so i don't know if now my mind is just latching onto this and running with it, or whether i genuinely need to be concerned, advice is much appreciated!!

Sorry i've rambled on a bit!

bashley
23-03-10, 13:42
Hi it sounds like costochondritis which is very painfull and it hurts to touch especially breastbone and sternum area. You are only 18 and and have had an ecg which was fine and you will be fine, unfortunately anxiety makes it worse. Try and relax and enjoy your holiday also you could ask your pharmacist for some anti inflamatory tablets as this is also said to help. Have a great holiday and many more after this one!
I suffer the same pains and doctor said its the anxiety and to try and relax i know the pains are scary but don't worry.

valleybear
23-03-10, 16:55
I have costochondritis too, and my pains sound very similar xxyou yours. Sometimes it is quite sharp and short lived, at other times it aches. It has always been sore to touch my sternum and the muscles around my chest. As bashly says anti inflam tabs or a rub and a hot water bag usually eases mine. Anxiety and stress makes mine much worse also. You will be fine and as you have had an ecg you can be sure it is not aa heart related pain. Have a great holiday and RELAX.

valleybear
23-03-10, 17:13
Just a PS to say that I believe that my costo was brought on by lifting patients in the psychiatric hospital where I worked for years. No H&S guidelines in these days...when you had to lift, you had to lift. Another pointer to the idea that yours too are muscular. Hope this helps a bit. X