PDA

View Full Version : skin picking?

happyone
24-03-10, 17:39
I don't know where to put this cos it isn't really anxiety related I don't think but I am not sure if it is a general mental health thing or what.

In the last few weeks I have taken to unconsciously picking/rubbing at my skin on my hands. They are now in a bit of a mess. I put plasters on the bits that were getting rough to stop me picking or rubbing them. However, I returned from my art class to find I had started on a new bit without even realising it! They are sore, itchy and unsightly. It stings every time I wash my hands.

Any thoughts as to why I should be starting this at this point in my life when it has never been a habit of mine? Any ideas on how to stop it especially as I don't even know I am doing it? Anyone else do similar?

Happyone
xx

suzy-sue
24-03-10, 18:44
Skin Picking and Hair pulling are forms of OBSSESIVE BEHAVIOUR..Sometimes they can be a side effect of certain Medications ..like drugs used for ADHD .All compulssive behaviour can be controlled...This is obviously causing you problems now .as you mention they are sore when you wash them ...Perhaps if you were to wear cotton gloves for a while it would get you used to not picking at your skin .Tho obviously you cant wear them all the time ...There is also the more obvious outcome of the Skin ending up infected if you continue .I think as its something you have just started doing ,it will be easier to become more aware of doing it , if you try to think of the possible consequences ..Like if you had a broken arm you get used to not using it until its better ....It would also be worth mentioning to your Dr or psychiatrist .Try to keep the sore patches covered and use some antiseptic cream in the meantime ...This sort of obssesion is sometimes caused by a desire to escape mental pain like self harm .. I hope you manage to stop doing it Happy one ...Take care ..Love Sue xx:hugs:

Jabbathehutt
25-03-10, 20:53
Hi happyone, how's it going?
This is apparently called 'compulsive skin picking', you can read about it here:

http://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/condition_csp.php

I often find myself picking at spots on my face until they start bleeding without even realising I'm doing it, especially when I'm feeling badly anxious about stuff.

Hope that helps!