PDA

View Full Version : Telling my Psychiatrist

ElizabethJane
25-03-10, 18:33
During the past few months I have experienced some quite serious bad feelings of despair and wanting to act on those feelings. Thankfully I have now come through all that and I am feeling much better. I remember how bad it was and trying to 'reason' with myself. I hadn't realised how bad things had got until I had worked my way through it. I didn't tell anyone how bad it was for me. I hinted at it to my GP and to Dr J but I think now is the time to tell him how I was feeling. Do others think I should do this now I am feeling better? I wasn't thinking straight and had not thought through how my actions might affect others.I'm always afraid to tell my psychiatrist 'stuff' as I think that he will want me to take more pills. I am to have hypnosis soon and I know that these feelings will come up then and I dont want the onus to be on the therapist to tell Dr J.

suzy-sue
25-03-10, 19:29
I do agree you should come clean about this EJ.Its important to tell your Dr and Psych the truth ,Im sorry you were feeling so terrible :hugs:but a big well done for coming thru it all ,,I dont see that the psych will up your meds if you now feel better ,,What good would that do now ?...You managed it without extra drugs and that is excellent .Good luck with your Hypnotherapy I do hope it helps you ..Take care Luv Sue xx

pollyanna
25-03-10, 19:33
Hi EJ

i think you should tell Dr J , the good thing is that you have come through the other side, and can think a bit more clearly about it, i know what you mean about being afraid to be totally honest with the consultant, for fear of an increase in meds, etc, but i suppose they should be fully aware of whats going on or what was going on in your life, it allows them to give their opinion on our care, but we can make the final decsion when it comes to new meds, increase etc, also it would be better coming from you , rather than the therapist.
That is just my thoughts, maybe others will think differently.
hope the hypnosis goes well.
tc

P x

ElizabethJane
25-03-10, 19:46
Dear Suzy-Sue I did have my mirtazapine increased at that time. I know that I hinted to my boss that I was feeling very low. I'm not sure whether I would have acted on those feelings. I remember lying in bed one night just lying very still trying to meditate hoping those bad feelings woiuld go away. I wonder whether Dr J might say that he knew that I was feeling like that. I think that the consequences of any such action ie hospitalisation and certain loss of face at work and credibility were too much. I would not have wanted to go into our local mental health unit. Dr J is private and I wouldn't have been able to afford in patient private care. I certainly wasn't thinking about all this though. I'm sure that he would have wanted to know but then what. I was seeing my GP twice in two weeks at that time. It is good that i can distance myself from my feelings now.

suzy-sue
25-03-10, 20:04
Its understandable you felt like you did at the time ,,I would have been the same if im honest ,,Your increase in Mirt sounds very much the reason you felt like this E,J ..You coped with it and have come through ..Im sure your Dr will be pleased for you .It shows how determined and strong you are ...It wont hurt to tell him .Better to come from you than from the Therapist .Im sure if you got to the point you were going to act on your thoughts ,you would have told someone .You have a sound knowledge of you illness and yourself .At the time you were going thru a bad time as well with other things in your life ,if I remember correctly ? You should feel really proud of yourself ,many wouldnt have coped like you did...You were in as much control of yourself that you functioned whilst going through it all ..Theres no need to feel like you were hiding things ..As you say, you did hint to the Dr .about how you felt at the time ..Sue xx..:hugs: