PDA

View Full Version : Shortness Of Breath - When Talking!

Ruby94
25-03-10, 21:31
Hey Guys ,

I really need some help because not only is this oh so very annoying its rather worrying for me too. Well i make videos on youtube what requires alot of talking, mainly health and beauty videos. I get in the middle of doing a video and suddenly my breathing feels shortened AND i wont be able to get my words out properly because i have not enough breath to talk. Its not only making videos. If im talking or making a convosation with someone my breath shortens and it feels like i cant breathe inwards enough. Its really frustrating and worrying so please, can anybody help me? Could i have asthma? :weep:

Pru
25-03-10, 21:41
To be honest it sounds to me like typical symptoms of anxiety, I have been getting it a lot lately. Do you feel like you can't take a deep breath? Because thats how I feel all the time.

It might be an idea to go to your doctor just to rule out asthma but it does really sound like anxiety to me and it is awful so I know how you feel

cthechick84
25-03-10, 21:43
Aww ruby
i have exactly the same problem and sat here now i have to keep taking deep breaths not sure why ,it is soo scarey though and breathing issues r connected to anxiety so im told and even my doctor keeps telling me my breathing issues r linked to the anxiety,do u only get it when ur talking ? i get it quite abit but when im talkin i feel im talkin to fast an this makes me get out of breathe too and i have to stop an pause quite abit .i knw im breathing all wrong which i knw idnt nt breathe correcty i breath though my chest an it gets all tight frm the tension an feels like i cannot get enough air this in turn scares the hell out of me even more so i speed my breathing up,eveen though i dnt no im doing it then i get in a right state so i think breathing issues are very common with the horrible anxiety and panic and i try to distract myself and listen to relaxing music and try to breath in through the nose slowly and breathe out through my mouth with a big sigh... Hope this helps but im sure its anxiety u can consult ur doctor but ive been twice an they listend to my chest an said ANXIETY luv c.xxx

cthechick84
25-03-10, 21:46
Pru sorry to but in do u have breathing issues too? im expericing alot these days worst symptom for me by far hate it!!!gets me soo scared .im always having too take a big deep breathe or yawn to get a big enough breath or i feel that im not getting enough air,this all common with anxiety but so worrying .wish i knew how to control it!been ok allday an now its cum on tonight.thanks guys x

trev1234
25-03-10, 21:49
ive also had this before....it didnt last long though...worried me a few times then after a bit i forgot bout it...i think ,thinkin bout it migh be making it worse than it really is.....I found i didnt have enough breath to finish a sentence off..? sound familiar ?...it will pass as dont worry

Pru
25-03-10, 22:01
Pru sorry to but in do u have breathing issues too? im expericing alot these days worst symptom for me by far hate it!!!gets me soo scared .im always having too take a big deep breathe or yawn to get a big enough breath or i feel that im not getting enough air,this all common with anxiety but so worrying .wish i knew how to control it!been ok allday an now its cum on tonight.thanks guys xYes! I am getting exactly the same problem, I sit here trying to take the deepest breath I can just to prove I can do it, but I just can't and the more I try the more anxious I feel and yes I yawn to try and get a deep breath too. I know it's an anxiety problem, but it just feels awful and even when it fades it is back the next day and the cycle begins again.:hugs:

Pru
25-03-10, 22:02
ive also had this before....it didnt last long though...worried me a few times then after a bit i forgot bout it...i think ,thinkin bout it migh be making it worse than it really is.....I found i didnt have enough breath to finish a sentence off..? sound familiar ?...it will pass as dont worrySound exactly like my problem! Thanks for the advice

mick_uk
25-03-10, 22:02
Weird thing is I can sing for ages and not get short of breath but sometimes when I'm talking it happens.

Pru
25-03-10, 22:17
Weird thing is I can sing for ages and not get short of breath but sometimes when I'm talking it happens.Same here! Although tbh most people wish I wouldn't sing for ages :blush:

mick_uk
25-03-10, 22:19
:roflmao:

Pru
25-03-10, 22:24
:roflmao:Or they laugh just like you are!:wink:

Pru
25-03-10, 22:25
Or they laugh just like you are!:wink:Bloody hell, the wink smiley looks like I have had a stroke, I shall be worrying about that all night now:blush:

cthechick84
25-03-10, 22:46
how come anxiety causes this though? is it the tight chest muscles not letting the chest expand or what ,ive noticed when im eating it feels worse aswell aww hate it ,last night it was my lightheadedness and chest pains and again tonight its the breathing wish it wud end arghh so fed up!

Ruby94
25-03-10, 22:48
how come anxiety causes this though? is it the tight chest muscles not letting the chest expand or what ,ive noticed when im eating it feels worse aswell aww hate it ,last night it was my lightheadedness and chest pains and again tonight its the breathing wish it wud end arghh so fed up!

I just typed this up online and ehow says this: -

Symptoms

<LI id=jsArticleStep1 itxtvisited="1">Physical activities like walking or climbing stairs can cause a person to experience shortness of breath. Other people find it difficult to catch their breath when eating, talking or resting. The sense of feeling short of breathhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/#) may be mild, moderate or severe. In certain cases, a person may even feel as if she is going to black out. Breathing may be slow, rapid or tight with shortness of breath coming on either suddenly or gradually. Talking can make breathing worse as the person feels as if she cannot get enough air. Breathing becomes faster or slower than normal, and can be painful. Shortness of breath may be accompanied by other symptoms such as feeling dizzy or lightheaded, especially when talking. Some individuals also report having a dry cough or feeling nauseous if they suddenly find that they cannot catch their breath while talking. Anxiety

<LI id=jsArticleStep1 itxtvisited="1">People who talk for long periods of time while teaching, reading aloud, working on the telephone, lecturing or addressing the public can sometimes find themselves becoming short of breath. Some individuals experience similar symptoms when they sing. This is especially true for people who breathe too fast through the mouth. Anxiety may be a contributing factor for other people, particularly for those who speak before large groups. While nervousness may not actually cause shortness of breath, it can make people talk faster. As a result, an individual may find himself breathing faster and deeper. If this is the case, making a conscious effort to slow down breathing and exhale fully can help. Even though anxiety may not be the direct cause of shortness of breath, worrying about what is causing the feeling can make breathing more labored when talking. Allergies/Asthma

<LI id=jsArticleStep1 itxtvisited="1">Allergic reactionshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/#) can be responsible for causing shortness of breath when talking. As the bronchial tubes narrow, a person is unable to get enough air into the lungs. Adults not diagnosed with asthma until later in life often think they are simply out of shape. But if there is a family history of asthma and/or allergies, it is a good idea to get checked even as an adult. Frequently, parents of asthmatic children (http://www.ehow.com/children/) do not consider that they might have asthma themselves. Sounding out of breath to others when talking on the telephone could be a warning sign. Heart Disease

<LI id=jsArticleStep1 itxtvisited="1">A study published in a November 2005 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine identified shortness of breath as a possible symptom of heart disease even when a person has no chest pain. Researchers point out that even though many people tend not to think of shortness of breath as an indicator that something may be seriously wrong, it sometimes is the only symptom present in people who have other risk factors for coronary artery disease. When individuals do worry that shortness of breath may be the sign of a health (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/#) problem, they tend to associate the symptom with lung disease rather than heart disease. Hyperventilation

Hyperventilation, a condition characterized by abnormally rapid and shallow breaths, often occurs along with an anxiety or panic attack. The oxygen level in the blood rises, causing other symptoms such as chest pain and dizziness. It is not uncommon for individuals to have a fear of speaking in public. When people are nervous they tend to breathe with the chest rather than by pulling in the abdomen and exhaling through the nose. Acid reflux can also cause shortness of breath. In this case, pressure in the chest or digestive juices backing up into the throat can cause shortness of breath severe enough to make a person hyperventilate.

Ruby94
25-03-10, 22:51
I dont mean to sound like a bitch but mick and pru please could you stay on the subject to this thread :blush:

mick_uk
25-03-10, 22:51
Anything to do with anxious breathing is horrible cthechick84. The lightheadeness is connected to shallow breathing too. It's a matter of trying to control your breathing to a steady rhythm. Not easy when your anxious.

cthechick84
25-03-10, 22:56
aw thanks hun for those ive had it for a while now and my docs have listened to my chest and said it was anxiety and hyperventialtion but its really strange the worst symptom ive had .keep telling myself that by now i would of had more trouble if it was frm anythnk other than the anxiety.just need to relax ;how are u feeling now? xx

Ruby94
25-03-10, 22:57
i still cant breathe properly, every minute or so my breathing feels limited (very shallow) so i breathe inwards and it doesnt help atall im scared im just going to stop breathing im really scared :weep:

cthechick84
25-03-10, 23:03
aww ruby hun hugs im exactly the same ,how long have u suffered like this? ive been gettin these breathing issues for like 3wks and had health anxiety and panic attacks for 2yrs so cnt understand why its only just came out the blue must b when the anxiety is extremly high .the more i focus on it the worst it feels .is urs constant allday? hope it will pass soon x

PAULBROWNAP1963
19-08-17, 23:11
I see that I am 7 years late seeing This! Yikes!

Just curious how all this worked out for you as I am surly experiencing that right now!

Best Wishes and Many Thanks!

Paul

[/PHP]
Hey Guys ,

I really need some help because not only is this oh so very annoying its rather worrying for me too. Well i make videos on youtube what requires alot of talking, mainly health and beauty videos. I get in the middle of doing a video and suddenly my breathing feels shortened AND i wont be able to get my words out properly because i have not enough breath to talk. Its not only making videos. If im talking or making a convosation with someone my breath shortens and it feels like i cant breathe inwards enough. Its really frustrating and worrying so please, can anybody help me? Could i have asthma? :weep: