PDA

View Full Version : Day 5 Sertraline

onceagain
25-03-10, 23:00
My intention was not to post but to find out more about Sertraline and how others are getting on with it.

My doctor first prescribed this a few weeks ago and after reading the side effects and feeling so low I ripped it up and went back onto citalopram.

My doctor represcribed and asked me to give them a chance, I told him I was scared and this is what he has told me.

Sertraline works to balance, it never takes away the negative feelings,they stay but overall it allows you to take control back of your thoughts and deal with them. Unlike Citalopram which in the best part do actually lift your mood a little.

I have been fine, I'm feeling a little more anxious than usual but doctor said to expect this and to understand that like citalopram they do take a few weeks to get into the system.

I have been reading on other threads that people don't feel better...so I want to thank my lovely doctor for his open and honest information. By the sounds of it he has told me the exact truth... I don't feel any better but I don't have the pounding headaches nor the overwhelming tiredness that I suffered with citalopram... was feeling quite positive until I read that usually after 5 days the side effects can kick in.... now feeling a bit unsettled.

I like the idea of still recognising the problems are there but being able to focus and in my doctors words take control back.. so would love to hear from someone with positive views of the medication and whether they did infact finally get to grips with their illness and actually start to deal with it in a positive way.

Please don't be offended if I do not reply immediately as I mentioned it was never my intention to post but I don't want to read through the negatives about the medication, well not at the moment.. I want to hear the success stories ... so thanking you in advance and any advice will be much much appreciated x

yvonne_uk_98
27-03-10, 21:18
My intention was not to post but to find out more about Sertraline and how others are getting on with it.

My doctor first prescribed this a few weeks ago and after reading the side effects and feeling so low I ripped it up and went back onto citalopram.

My doctor represcribed and asked me to give them a chance, I told him I was scared and this is what he has told me.

Sertraline works to balance, it never takes away the negative feelings,they stay but overall it allows you to take control back of your thoughts and deal with them. Unlike Citalopram which in the best part do actually lift your mood a little.

I have been fine, I'm feeling a little more anxious than usual but doctor said to expect this and to understand that like citalopram they do take a few weeks to get into the system.

I have been reading on other threads that people don't feel better...so I want to thank my lovely doctor for his open and honest information. By the sounds of it he has told me the exact truth... I don't feel any better but I don't have the pounding headaches nor the overwhelming tiredness that I suffered with citalopram... was feeling quite positive until I read that usually after 5 days the side effects can kick in.... now feeling a bit unsettled.

I like the idea of still recognising the problems are there but being able to focus and in my doctors words take control back.. so would love to hear from someone with positive views of the medication and whether they did infact finally get to grips with their illness and actually start to deal with it in a positive way.

Please don't be offended if I do not reply immediately as I mentioned it was never my intention to post but I don't want to read through the negatives about the medication, well not at the moment.. I want to hear the success stories ... so thanking you in advance and any advice will be much much appreciated x

Hi Sharonsk,

I have been on Sertarline for a good couple of months now, I have been feeling good, plus I'm working through my issues, one step at a time, and I'm getting there very slowly.

I do however have my down days and ups.

Yvonne

onceagain
31-03-10, 00:17
Thanks Yvonne

Well I'm into my second week and have had higher anxiety levels but still everything is going well, I really hope it works out with this medication anything rather than go back on citalopram... and those headaches again.

x