PDA

View Full Version : Anybody suffered from Depersonalisation prior to going on Citalopram?

RichW
26-03-10, 03:00
Hi Folks

I went on Citalopram 20mg after I'd started suffering DP from my anxiety. Has anybody else out there been down this route? I'm abviously still suffering with DP (but only 22 days into Cit) and so it feels that all the side effects such as dizzyness, dry eyes etc. have all been compounded and made even worse.

I'm learning to live with it - sort of!

Any fellow DP sufferers been through Citalopram loading whilst DP'ing? I'd love some feedback on this just to confirm I'm not totally mental.

Cheers

Rich

martbarr
26-03-10, 10:47
Hi Folks

I went on Citalopram 20mg after I'd started suffering DP from my anxiety. Has anybody else out there been down this route? I'm abviously still suffering with DP (but only 22 days into Cit) and so it feels that all the side effects such as dizzyness, dry eyes etc. have all been compounded and made even worse.

I'm learning to live with it - sort of!

Any fellow DP sufferers been through Citalopram loading whilst DP'ing? I'd love some feedback on this just to confirm I'm not totally mental.

Cheers

Rich

22 days on cit is not long enough for it to take root.
You are probably going to need more like 3 months before you see big improvements kicking in.

I started with DP when I was 18 after a very bad panic attack that put me into hospital for a weeks worth of tests.
I got so scared of it happening that I was diagnosed with "phobic depersonalisation" - nice label huh?

I'm now 55 and wold love to say it's totally gone, but it's one of those things that is part of me I think. Loads better yes, gone - no!
You're right though - we do learn to live with it and medication will help.
Cit has improved me a lot in this dept.

I think is DP 'sufferers' are the better people for having the experiences.
We see life in a much deeper "raw" way.

No you wont go mad or mental.
DP is an exaggerated sense of reality, not a diminishing one.
You will manage just fine, and hopefully it will fade away into nothing.
Meds are better now than they were 30 yrs ago.

Bless you
Martin
(PS - a bit too much make up on the profile pic I think lol)

Thumbelina
26-03-10, 11:24
Hi Rich,

Depersonalisation was/is one of the most disturbing symptoms of anxiety...

I had it and befrore and after cipralex. It happens when anxiety is prolonged.

It is discribed in the book of Joe Barry "Panic away"

martbarr
26-03-10, 11:34
Hi Rich,

Depersonalisation was/is one of the most disturbing symptoms of anxiety...

I had it and befrore and after cipralex. It happens when anxiety is prolonged.

It is discribed in the book of Joe Barry "Panic away"

Hi

My depersonalisation started well before my anxiety, and my anxiety was later diagnosed as a symptom of my DP.

Maybe I'm odd LOL, but I understand that current thinking is that DP and anxiety are separate illnesses, but with overlapping symptoms.

cheers
Martin

Thumbelina
26-03-10, 11:41
Could be could be Martin....

But you cant even imagine how many different faces anxiety has.

It can dress up as cancer, heart attack, stroke, depersonalisation and practically anythin.

Anxiety is so clever .... you can teven imagine how many roles it can play...

RichW
27-03-10, 23:26
Hi Thumbalina and Martin

Thanks for sharing the info. I'm still optimistic that this sensation can be beaten. Feeling really hungover today, must be the antihistamines I'm on for sleep. Can't quite seem to get with it today - oh well...

Hope you guys are doing well. Day 24 today - wierd stuff :wacko:.

Martin

Did you find the DP died down or became somewhat more manageble with the Cit? I can still feel the anxiety lurking in the background. I have experienced DP for extended periods before but always after a Panic attack. However, after the Panic attack/s I'm normally left with the DP and no more anxiety. In this instance it's different and I found myself feeling rather anxious that I'm feeling this way, whereas before I could just kind of accept it and move on.

Cheers

Rich

Thumbelina
28-03-10, 12:42
Hi Rich,

Depersonalisation as all other symptoms of extreme anxiety were and still are very terrifying to me.
I now know though that they are the product of extreme prolonged anxiety.
When anxiety spins me around and around it makes me loopy and then the DP and detachment and all other symptoms come. Its is very disturbing, becasue at this momemnt you think that you are definately going insane.

I also become extracted from the conversations and situatios sometimes when anxiety is extreme.

At some point the pody will start relaxing byitself.

I am 33 and had been diagnosed with GAD for 4 years. One year before that I had constant panic attacks but was not knowing what was heppening.

martbarr
28-03-10, 13:41
Martin

Did you find the DP died down or became somewhat more manageble with the Cit?

To be honest I don't think it's made huge difference to my DP, but we are all different so keep hoping!

DP in my case came before anxiety, and it's a bit chicken and egg, as my anxiety is a prodict of me having phobic depersonalisation. And the the DP can get worse out of the anxiety.

But over the years I've learned to get by by thinking of DP as normal, and my mind's protection system doing a bit of ovetime.
DP is possible your mind blurring the issue, to keep you sane.
But don't worry - you can't die of DP, or go mad because of it.
If you stay level headed it may even become a friend!

Cheers
Martin

CD1985
03-04-10, 02:14
Rich,

I've been on citalopram for about a year and a half now. My main symptoms were DP / DR and it's horrible. but i hardly ever get these symptoms anymore. after starting taking citalopram it probably took about 4-6 weeks untill i started feeling well again. everyone reacts differently though. keep on them and i'm sure they'll make you feel better soon. i still get DP/DR sometimes like if i've been out drinking the night before but it doesn't seem to bother me as much anymore

take care

charlie

RichW
03-04-10, 02:40
Rich,

I've been on citalopram for about a year and a half now. My main symptoms were DP / DR and it's horrible. but i hardly ever get these symptoms anymore. after starting taking citalopram it probably took about 4-6 weeks untill i started feeling well again. everyone reacts differently though. keep on them and i'm sure they'll make you feel better soon. i still get DP/DR sometimes like if i've been out drinking the night before but it doesn't seem to bother me as much anymore

take care

charlie

Thanks Charlie

Day 30 for me today and definitely feeling better. Still getting the DP and DR but it's not constantly bothering me now. I can function again and seem to be more interested in getting on with things than worrying about my problems. I too find that I'm more prone to DP/DR if I've taken any meds that make me sleep or hungover the next day - like a strong antihistamine. Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely feeling more positive for it.

Cheers

Richard