PDA

View Full Version : When does HA become Somatoform?

Peter_Scott
26-03-10, 13:34
I can truly say that I have had health anxiety ALL my life, I can distinctly remember spending a lot of my time sitting alone in the A&E department as a child. At about eight years old I was already convinced I was going to die of either an appendicitis or heart attack, my parents would not go with me as they felt I was putting it on. I would either visit the GP or A&E at least twice a week, and this went on until I was in my twenties.

The thing is my imagination for a better name could actually produce the symptoms needed. I had moles on my stomach which if I thought about them would itch and REALLY grow, even the doctors confirmed they where growing. Then I would find some other worry and hey presto the moles stopped growing. I could make the glands in my arm pits swell by just thinking about them doing it, again the doctors confirmed it. I have made lumps in my body grow, but then vanish when my mind was taken elsewhere. I have made my nose bleed by thinking my blood wasn't clotting, and bruises appear and vanish for no reason. All this for many many years, I was always surprised that I survived childhood lol A couple of years a ago I had a lump appear in my throat they wanted to biopsy, but then I started to worry about something else and when it came to do the biopsy there was nothing to biopsy, narda!

All I have been told is it could be a Somatoform disorder, are there any others here with HA that can relate to this extreme form of HA?

Peter

janni
26-03-10, 15:51
I have been diagnosed with somatization disorder for over a year maybe two. It can be a very debilitating condition if you let it take over. Basically it means that the body produces symptoms similar to those of medical conditions, but in Somatization there is no organic cause/no disease. I have struggled with this day in, day out and I let it cripple me. My best advice to you. Challenge the symptoms. Do not give them the attention that they do not deserve.