PDA

View Full Version : Cephalic vein? Blood clots? So scared (yes, I googled!)

majdle
26-03-10, 20:33
Hello everyone,
it´s been a while..but I´m back and freaking out again. Ever since I woke up this morning, I´ve been feeling mild (but annoying) pain in the arm, kind of right where the cephalic vein is. I wanted to google that bloodclots in the upper extremities are very rare...instead, I got cases of young people (I´m 25) having a DVT in their arms after some increased arm activity (hmmm..I played the accordeon last night) and the fact that 1/3 of them develops pulmonary embolism. And now I´m freaking out that this is exactly what´s going on. IT just hurts, there are no color changes, no swelling...oh yes and on top of it all, google gave me the big C answer, too. :-( :-( Has anyone had this kind of pain? Think it could be something serious? Heeelp!
No, no, no, I shouldn´t have goooooogled.
Thanks a lot

marley
27-03-10, 02:54
This is why we non-doctors should not play doctor via the internet.

What qualifies you to identify that the pain is originating from a vein? There are layers or skin, fat, muscle, sinew... then there are veins, nerves, even bones. No matter how smart you are or how good your Google mojo is, you are not qualified to decide that your pain originates in something as finite as a vein.

A doctor, or many laypeople who are not Google, would tell you that using your arms vigorously without first stretching leads to your muscles, not veins, feeling sore for some time afterwards. This is common and nothing to be concerned about. In the future, a good thing to practice is some light stretching each morning - this will prepare your muscles for the day ahead and will lessen any use-generated pain or injury.