PDA

View Full Version : bi polar disorder

superfran23
14-01-06, 18:34
i was reading something about bi -polar disorder and it rang a few bells. i was reading the symptoms that included major mood swings going from really happy then suddenly to feeling low and depressed. that how i feel, like at the moment i'm really good, but wednesday and thursday i was close to doing something stupid.
any more information would be useful?

Antipodes
14-01-06, 20:34
hi superfran23,

Beware self-diagnosis. It can result in anxiety, possibly all for nought.
The best way to see if you do have bi-polar is to get a referral to a psychiatrist from your GP. The diagnosis would be made against "DSM-IV" which lists numerous disorders which are distinguished by sometimes minor and subtle differences in symptoms. A google search using "DSM-IV+Bi-Polar" should get you directly to an authoritive site.

You don't say if you're diagnosed as having a particular disorder, nor any therapy you're undergoing. SO I can't really add any more.

Antipodes

freakedout
14-01-06, 20:46
Hi superfran,

I think bipolar disorder is quite complicated, my husband has bipolar and he does has significant change in his moods but has hypomania not mania. Change in mood can be gradual in onset or rapid, but I agree with Antipodes that opinion of a psychiatrist would be best as treatment can differ somewhat to that of 'depression'.

I still struggle to understand my husbands problems but partly due to denial on my part. It is sometimes easier to ignore than to deal with things. In fact it is nearly always easier to ignore but that is selfish and inconsiderate. Good luck in your quest for answers.

Take care,

superfran23
14-01-06, 21:05
i'm definately not doing self diagnosis. it just rang a few bells and wanted to know more. i have been diagnosed with depression and been reffered for CBT with a psychiatrist by my GP and on antidepressants.

its just interesting to know, as i've always thought depression and panic where all just a phase and not an illness, but now want to be re educated, so one day i canunderstand if someone says to me they have it.

this depression has totally opened my eyes to other suffers ( mainly due to this site and all i want to do is help:))

chucklehound
15-01-06, 09:35
Hi Superfran, my hubby has bi-polar too and if you had it you wouldn't notice the mood swings. My hubby is bad at the moment with it and he doesn't know it. He believes that he is normal when really he is far from normal.
Feel free to PM me if you want to chat.

Take Care

Chucklehound

xxxx