PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram and weight gain

NatalieK
27-03-10, 14:52
Hi, I am 39 and have been on Citalopram 20mgs for almost a year. In that time I feel alot happier. I have achieved so much since taking these meds. It is difficult to imagine where I was emotionally this time last year, I had completely fallen apart at the seams. Taking the meds was hard work for the first few weeks - 3 days in and I was at my lowest ever. Day by day things got a little better and now I am back working and studying for a degree. So with all that positive feedback there is a BIG negative - I have gained 2 stone, going from a happy 16-18 to a unhappy 20. :doh:

In part I think the meds make me more relaxed about my food choices, but I have not been binge eating and generally I am pretty healthy. However I am always hungry now, my stomach audibly rumbles regularly and I don't seem to feel full ever. I probably drink a bit too much, but that's another story! Does anyone have any advice for me?

nomorepanic
27-03-10, 14:53
Hi NatalieK

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Vanilla Sky
27-03-10, 15:46
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome: Paige x

daydreamer
27-03-10, 15:54
Working and studying for a degree, well done to you, it cant be easy doing both at once! Its also good to hear your feeling better and that the meds have helped you.

My advice would be to try and eat more foods that keep you fuller for longer, so foods with a high fibre content basically! Wholegrain breads, cereals, pasta & plenty of fruit and veg. Anything that contains a lot of sugar or is highly processed is going to leave you feeling hungry soon after eating them.

Drinking can also makes you crave food and be pretty calorific depending on what you drink. Maybe you could start cutting down a bit and see if it helps with the weight loss?

Do you like to cook? There are lots of good recipes available on the web too, just type in 'low fat' or 'healthy' recipes and you will get plenty. The slimming world website has a lot of nice recipes on it that you could try. My friend had very good success with it and seems to eat loads but still lose weight!

Wish you good luck with your healthy eating! :)