PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks and dentists...bear with me this is long....

Carys
28-03-10, 19:16
Advice would be greatly appreciated though...

OK, so I haven't been for a check up in a couple of years. It is stupid really, I've been fine in the past and have had pain killing injections and a variety of work done including crowns. I've never enjoyed it, of course, but I went.

I convinced myself a few years ago that I might be allergic to the local anaesthetic...so I stopped having them. (along with being fearful of any other medications, horribly desperately worried that any meds will make me have anaphylaxis despite having no evidence that I've ever had any allergy to anything!) Following my fear of the local anaesthetic, I actually have had 2 new fillings done, crowns replaced and 2 fillings replaced with no pain relief. Then I stopped visiting the dentist just incase I ever needed any medicines or an injection - I don't actually fear dental work as such.

Yesterday and the day before I felt a dreadful stabbing pain in an upper wisdown tooth, it did it a few times and then stopped. Again the following day - so as it was the weekend I took myself off to the emergency dentist, as my panic was so bad. He had a look around and said that I had a gum infection, and this had resulted in the gum pulling back and exposing a small piece of dentine area. He said that although I thought it was a hole, it wasn't. He prescribed anti-biotics (which of course I am too scared to take of course, but I have been using anti-bacterical toothpaste, sensitive anti-bac mouthwash and salt gargle.) There is marginal improvement so far.

So, here lies my problem, which is causing me huge huge anxiety and many tears.

I am still convinced that it is a hole - really could even a c**p dentist get this wrong and mis-diagnose ? It sure looks like one, kind of indented and grey, but he did look around and tap about/poke things.

I am terrified of the anti-biotics and can I treat the gum infection without using them ?

I know that I need to go back to the dentist - as even if this problem resolves I can't spend the rest of my life not seeing one.

I am convinced that the pain killing injection will either cause anaphylaxis, or it will change my heart rhythm as I already have really bad ectopics mostly after eating. Is this really possible ?

Will a dentist be able to cope with someone as anxious as me and possibly 'get me used' to the injections by giving a teensy weensy amount ?

I am ashamed of myself, I feel totally pathetic, and my panic was so bad this morning that I was ready to just let teeth fall out rather than ever see a dentist again. lol

Can anyone relate to this ?

suzy-sue
29-03-10, 16:21
I doubt very much if the Dentist made a mistake Carys ..You could try cinnamon tea or make a paste with one teaspoon of cinnamon and put on the infected gum .Lemon juice gives relief and can be drunk with water 3 times a day Alternatively cider vinegar mixed with 5 parts water is another effective remedy ,drink it ,it doesnt taste very nice but does help Alternatively rinse your mouth with it ..Do this 3 times a day also ..If no imporovement in 3-4 days .Antibiotics are a must ,im afraid .The worst scenario with them is a rash or upset tummy .I you get a rash (highly unlikely ) it means you are allergic to that particular type .So stop taking them .An untreated infection should not be neglected under any circumstances ,It can make it harder to treat and a higher dose of antibiotics is required .This will make you feel generally quite yuck .Denist s now have a painkilling injection that does not include adrenaline so it will not cause palpitations .Ask your Dentist about it ...When you go ..Wisdom teeth often cause gum infections ,I had to have all mine out because of this ..But usually they do settle down eventually when they are treated .. Hope you feel better soon Sue x

Carys
29-03-10, 17:19
Sue, thanks so much for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it. I bit the bullet and took 2.5 ml of amoxicillin about 3 hours ago - I know that is not the dose that I should be taking but thought I'd just test and see if I reacted to it (which I clearly had not ! lol) I guess that if it was likely to react badly I would have done so by now ?! That is VERY good advice about the non-adrenaline injection, and I will ask when I go on Thursday (yes, I managed to make an appointment). It is just odd because the gum doesn't feel infected, but I guess he must see something that I don't. Thanks again, it is very kind of you. :D