PDA

View Full Version : is cbt my miracle cure

jackie
15-01-06, 17:07
is cbt the miracle cure to feeling like these symptoms are gonna kill you. you see i was anorexic for 8 years and one day someone give me a rude awakening. she said i could drop dead at any moment. for some reason i frantically decided i wanted to live. i began to eat but always felt id left it too late to get better. thus a damaged heart. so the fear came b4 the pain. does that make sense. does that make my case different than all the rest. plus my dad had a heart attack right b4 anorexia began. hes still alive 12 years later and lives a fuller life than me who is afraid to move. help. any body recognise this. am i alone

existential crisis
15-01-06, 20:11
I don't have any personal experience of anorexia but I do have experience of anxiety and depression and I have found that CBT has really been the making of me. I'm reluctant to call it a miracle cure but if you are prepared to stick with it and do all the work involved then it does work wonders. The only regret I have about CBT is not having gone for it sooner. I really believe that my anxiety and depression will NEVER reach such epic proportions again because of the techniques I have learned. Good luck. Clare. xxx

*I think, therefore I am.*

jackie
15-01-06, 20:21
ta claire. does the fear come first any body ? and then the pain and then the vicious circle. fear of phobia then fear of symptoms phobia brings.

existential crisis
15-01-06, 20:33
What do you mean by pain, hun? But yeah, it is a vicious circle and CBT is all about breaking that circle and challenging negative cycles of thinking. xxx

*I think, therefore I am.*

jackie
15-01-06, 22:39
pain as in the sore chest etc. do you have no pain

darkangel
15-01-06, 23:09
Jackie

CBT is helpful on working on your irrational thoughts. To break the cycle.

You get a pain, ie chest pain - you then have an irrational thought ie what is wrong, is it my heart, etc, etc - you panic even more - the pain in your chest gets worse - you are in a vicious circle

CBT stops the cycle by challenging the irrational thought. So you start saying "well ive felt this before and i was ok" or "its a classic symptom of anxiety" . By doing this, especially by writing it down you can start to challenge your thoughts and stop the panic cycle escallating.

Give it time and practice it has been of tremendous help to me.

The pain or sensations may still appear but if you accept they are just part of anxiety and dont give them any power you will find they no longer have the same hold over you.

CBT can stop the anxious thoughts spirralling.

Hope this helps

Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

jackie
15-01-06, 23:12
wow what comfort cheers i will save this message. so want to not just survive . you give me hope

Meg
16-01-06, 16:24
Maxine's cbt progress. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2308)
CBT (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5287)
Starting CBT (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5323)
Does CBT work? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6671)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

sassy187
21-01-06, 17:47
hi there i must admit i had cbt for a while and i can garentee it worked for me at the time suppose we are never really cured cured but we handle life loads easier!! i had hypnothreapy and reiki and i am also on citalpram 40mg but all in all it worked for me but i have just had a couple of panic attacks again and it has put me right bk so i will do the cbt again so yes i suggest you go to any cbt u can get!!
good luck just remember we can get through this!!!!
( even tho it gets hard)
good luck!!
sassy xxx

sassy

Meg
21-01-06, 23:41
*is cbt the miracle cure*

CBT is the most effective proven way to recovery.

However it is far from a miracle cure - Its sodding hard work and a total slog - but it does help.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?