PDA

View Full Version : Hello and things

weevil
30-03-10, 18:12
Hey there, I've just stumbled upon this forum while looking for experiences of the medication I was on. I had been wanting a more uk based forum where I could talk and read about anxiety so glad I've found it.

I'm 29 and have been suffering anxiety and depression my entire adult life, it started in my late teens when I was in college and has created a massived barrier to a lot of things. I recently realised that it has formed a pattern of hitting me around september/october and gradually lessening in spring/summer where I am then too "high" to make up for being so down. I don't think this is SAD, I think it's habit/experience.

I also believe I have bipolar but it is impossible to suggest this to a doctor and not be laughed out of the office. My anxiety is also regularly ignored by doctors who only hear "depression" despite the anxiety always coming first and being my worst symptom.

I was taking lofepramine, a tricyclic antidepressant. Last week I stopped it cold turkey as I believed it was causing sudden unstable effects in me, the same as citalopram did around 18 months ago. I'm not sure why it would suddenly have a different effect but having stopped it, for the last week I have felt far more stable with no withdrawal.

Hope to talk to some of you soon.

diane07
30-03-10, 18:14
Hi weevil

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

KK77
30-03-10, 18:18
Hello Weevil

Did you speak to your doctor before stopping your med? It may be a good idea, rather than just come off it cold turkey, because sometimes adjusting the dose can really help if you're experiencing unpleasant side effects.

Welcome to NMP and I wish you success in your recovery.

weevil
30-03-10, 19:38
I haven't spoken to a doctor first, no. Because of how I've been feeling I just knew it would take a long time for me to be able to even get there, and even then it would take longer to have to taper off. I had to do something quicker than that.

The risk of cold turkey withdrawal is a lot less of a worry to me than the risk I felt staying on the meds.