PDA

View Full Version : Cold turkey side effects?

tiredzombie
30-03-10, 20:52
Ok, so following much anxiety, have (sort of) decided that I'm going to come off Sertraline (and all other meds.) Have only been on 50mg a couple of months (after 4 months of prozac), and to be honest have decided they're not worth the bother. Worrying about whether I'm 'depressed' or not and whether or not it helps to be on them pushes up my anxiety every month. Assuming anxiety is what drains me of energy and motivation, that can't be helpful can it?

I do feel like maybe I'm in a better place now than I was before I started meds, but I think that's more to do with the experiences I've had since then. I still get anxious, and it still saps me of energy and makes me feel hopeless at times. But I feel like I have more perspective now, at least some of the time. If I do take a sudden downward spiral, I figure I can always go back on them. I've talked it over with my family and they seem to agree its a sensible view to take.

It's been 4 days since I've taken any, and I feel no different (if anything better.) What I'm wondering is, should I expect any sudden horrific side effects to come on now? I do have a doctor's appointment for next week, but I managed to double book it with my volunteering shift:doh: (sometimes I push anxiety inducing things to the back of my mind to cope.) I know ideally you come off gradually on a smaller dose, but to do that I've either got to get an 'emergency appointment', or cancel my volunteer shift (we're short staffed as it is), both of which are likely to send me into a major anxiety spiral, so I'd rather not unless it's absolutely necessary. Also, I've still got about about a week's worth of med's left: should I start taking them again (after 5 days without), or would that just complicate withdrawal?

Basically, I just want some reassurance that nothing horrible is likely to happen to me if I just forget about it and get on with my life.:)

mandie
31-03-10, 09:39
Hi

Its never a good idea to just come straight off. Everyone is different though as reagrds to the withdrawal effects.

I am coming off sertraline. I was on 50mg and i just cut them in half and took half everyday.

I did this for about 6 weeks and now im taking half every other day.

So far i havent been any worse than i was when i was on the tablets.

Some people can have terrible time coming off and others are ok. touch wood im not to bad so far.

If it was me i dont think i would take them now after 5 days but thats just my opinion.

I cant say you are going to get any bad withdrawl effects now, but u seem to be doing ok

let us no how yr getting on

love mandie x

Angelai
07-04-10, 21:59
How did you get on? I did the same as you last year and it really wasn't too bad. I hope the same for you.

tiredzombie
08-04-10, 17:51
Hey, think it's getting on for 2 weeks now since I stopped, and am doing ok. Am feeling a bit more run down than usual (sore throat etc.), and sleep seems even more irregular than ever.

It's like all the thoughts that come up during the day that worry me which I suppress suddenly get a chance to run wild when my mind isn't occupied by something else. The other night I ended just lying there for hours, getting incredibly anxious and frustrated, desperate for the feeling to stop. It could've been a result of coming off the meds, but I think normally I've avoided such episodes by tiring my mind out beforehand with tv and stuff. The thing is by the time I'm tired enough it's normally after 3 in the morning! Recently I've been trying to get myself into a more regular and healthy routine, but I just find it so hard to stay awake in the morning on such little sleep. Either I'll get up and just turn my alarm off before going back to bed, or I'll drift through the day in a zombified state feeling awful and miserable. But although I'll feel tired all through the day, come night-time my mind suddenly wakes up! Any tips on getting into a healthy sleep cycle would be appreciated, (don't really want to take sleeping pills or anything) as it's really starting to get on my nerves?

Aside from that though, my mood's been pretty good. I'm enjoying the voluntary work I'm doing at the mo and it's really improved my confidence with people.