PDA

View Full Version : Is this OCD? (bleeding phobia)

Lissy43
30-03-10, 22:02
I had a D&C procedure done in December, I had my first period 5 weeks later, it was so heavy I thought I was haemoraging. I saw my GP and he reassured me it was fine, heavy but expected after such an invasive procedure.

My second period was similar, not quite as heavy, and my third was similar but again a teeny bit lighter, but still lasting around 8 days and the first few days I am having gushes of blood when i walk or stand up. I always had painful heavy periods before but it is worse since my operation.

I saw my GP, had bloods done to rule out infection and low swab was taken. They were all fine and the GP said I should be reassured because I had this panic in my head my heavy periods were caused by infection in my womb. I even had a high vaginal swab taken last week, and that came back clear today too.

I have this phobia now though, since my first period that I will haemorage, I know it sounds silly but I feel panicky on my period, even on the light days, and even between my periods I check myself often:blush: I feel so silly, but it is affecting my life. I feel on edge and panicked all the time, it gets in my way in university as I feel anxious and i am dreading going on placement ( I am a student nurse) in 4 weeks time because I am going to be on a ward away from my comfort zone.

I freak out about any sensation of loss down below, even though it's just discharge between periods I have to check and i panic i will be bleeding.

My GP has given me the pill (loestrin 20) to start to help with the heavy periods but I am even too bloody scared to start that incase i get breakthrough bleeding and the rare risky side effects.

Is this all a form of OCD that i am checking myself often and have an obsession with the bleeding possibility? How can I try to combat it?

ale-j
25-04-10, 02:30
Hi, im Alex and im 15 and i am diagnosed with Extreme OCD,

I don't know weither this might be OCD, when you think of this phobia can you walk away and forget it or does it stay there and you stress levels get higher and higher, if so do you have a compulsion to try and do what ever you head tells you to do to make it be quiet "neutralising".

Alex. sorry if i sound really strick about all the thing i just said i is just a part of my OCD.

andrew
25-04-10, 12:38
Hi Jessicalil,

This sounds like obsessive thought rather than ocd - Thats only my Opinion.

From what you've wrote, you had a real situation bleeding and your anxiety has made it a major issue for you, via obsessing about it.

Obviously continue getting advice from your GP. I saw this on the net, i dont know how to post a link, so you'll have to google it - 17 strategies to combat obsessive thoughts, it seemed like a sensible list of advice that may be able to help.

Good luck with your placement, take care .. andrew

Lissy43
25-04-10, 13:27
Thank you both very much.

It is with me alot of the time, I guess it is due to the trauma ive experienced.

I shall google that, thanks.

ale-j
25-04-10, 23:38
Hope all is well soon

Alex

Lissy43
02-05-10, 09:02
Thanks Alex xx

BabyRachel
02-05-10, 11:46
This isnt OCD in my opinion. Its definatly an obsession though. Ive noticed you have had a lot of threads about your termination. I don't mean to be rude but I think you should go get some professional help. Perhaps cognitive behavioural therapy.