PDA

View Full Version : citalopram and cipralex

marsbar
31-03-10, 22:10
Hi, this is new to me.
I have been taking Citalopram (30mg) since 2008, I moved house last year and my new surgery prescribed me Cipralex (10mg), since this medication change and the house move I experienced side effects such as lack of sex drive, a "rushing" feeling lasting at times for hours as if something bad is going to happen and broken sleep (a feeling of being very awake) and vivid frustrating dreams.

So... because I'm nervous about talking to my doctor (my last GP knew the "story" from the start) and I feel like I don't know about stuff to question the drug change they gave me when I moved here....I have stopped taking it all together...

I now feel horrible aching pains in my head, my neck and in my shoulders and spine area (like flu). A very very short temper (unreasonable), tiredness and surges of emotion (sadness, hopelessness, dissatisfaction, real anger)...

I thought I was coming down with a bug but actually I think it might possibly because of cold turkey?

I am seeing the GP on Tuesday and I want to have my old medication back.

Can someone please help me..I need to know if these feelings are normal if you suddenly stop taking the medication after taking it for 2 years....

Sorry rambling I know
Thank you:unsure:

nomorepanic
31-03-10, 22:11
Hi marsbar

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

ladybird64
31-03-10, 22:23
Hi Marsbar and :welcome: to NMP.

I'm not an expert on meds (have just started taking them) but am fairly sure that stopping Citalopram suddenly can cause problems.

If you have a look on the main forum page you will see there is a section "Medication" with various subsections of different meds. I'm sure you will find the info you need there or failing that, you can ask a question there.

Take care :)

JaneC
31-03-10, 23:09
Hi Marsbar,

Ladybird is right - the symptoms you describe sound very like how I felt when stopped another anti-depressant too quickly last year. Not everybody gets withdrawal - or discontinuation - effects, but to be on the safe side it's prob best to taper your dose gradually.

When I started retaking what I was trying to come off, I felt back to normal within hours. Hope you get sorted out.

marsbar
05-04-10, 12:22
Thank you for your help. I am off to see the GP tomorrow.

Carolg13
07-04-10, 13:47
Hi there, I have been taking Citalopram for about 10 years, 10mg per day due to a diagnosed serotonin deficiency.
If you come off this drug you should take 7 weeks to do so. ie you don't take a tablet say on a Monday then the following week you miss Monday and Thursday and so on.......... hope this helps.

Regards Carolg13