PDA

View Full Version : Holiday and Panic Attacks

DaRkFiBrE
01-04-10, 19:36
Well, were off on holiday on Sunday, were going to Tunisia. I have suffered with PA/Palpitations for many years. Can anybody suggest any self help material (CD/MP3) that I can take with me to calm myself down when one happens. Last year we went to Egypt. Whilst there, I was having at least three PA a day, it really spoilt the holiday. When a PA happens, I feel that I going to die, I check my pulse/etc.. I must look really stupid.. Can anybody advise me on a suitable solution ?

Onwards & Upwards
01-04-10, 20:56
Hi

Do you realise just how fabulous it is that you're ACTUALLY going on holiday!?

My friend left for a fortnight's holiday yesterday and I was thinking about how I just don't feel fit enough to go away. I thought to myself "Why can't I just book a holiday and go and enjoy it like her?" Well, I know the answer, I just don't feel up to it at the moment but I soon will!

I consider my anxiety to be mild, but I'm feeling pretty crap because of hormone imbalance and just feel that I couldn't handle the stress of iarranging a holiday and wouldn't enjoy it. So it's great that you're going away and getting plenty of vitamin D while you're at it! :)

bazwelsh
08-04-10, 12:36
Hi there.

I too suffer from panic attacks in a run up to a holiday. I'm due to go in July and my attacks have already started. I've been to the doctors (again) and I'm back on Citalopram 25mg (previously 10mg) but at the moment typically it's making it much worse especially in the mornings.

The doctor actually asked me why I go on holiday when it causes me this much anxiety and my answer was because I don't want to let it beat me and because my family mean so much to me.

Hopefully one day I'll be able to have a holiday again without all this anxiety.

Until I needed stronger meds I used Bachs Rescue Remedy and felt it really helped especially when flying. You can get it from Boots etc.,

The other thing is that I used to suffer from palps really badly and I've cut out caffeine and my palps have practically gone completely. I've gone to decaf tea and coffee (I don't drink much coffee) and I can't believe what a difference it has made.

Hope this helps.
Gaynor

Jaco45er
08-04-10, 13:36
Hiya Darkfibre

(is that a reference to fibre optic installs out of curiosity?)

Try and get a copy of Claire Weekes Audio on MP3, it's pretty good for helping you to understand what the panic/anxiety is, and see if you can get a relaxation one too.

I know where you are coming from, I have terrible anxiety/panic when I am on holiday, but I think it's just an anticipation thing, or maybe pressure to enjoy ourselves and not ruin it for others possibly?

It's been one of my last hurdles for a long time.

GL

Jaco