PDA

View Full Version : OCD hand washing routines making my skin sore

phil06
01-04-10, 22:33
Has anybody had a problem where OCD has made there skin worse with hand washing? I was told I had eczema and suffered a few bad patches on my skin lately.

Anyway to cut it short there was a bug going around so my hand washing had doubled. Maybe from 25 times a day to 50 which has made my hands in pain red raw and bleeding at the skin at my fingers. Not very nice so having to put cream on it.

Will I do myself damage? I'm at the point where I have no choice to resist the routines. I'm cutting back to half again which is good.

Anybody else suffering this?

Stars
01-04-10, 22:43
hey phil

yes i have the same problem but i use the hand gel all the time and it makes my hands really dry and sore. i do put cream on it but it really stings :(

how are you

x

gtrgrl3369
02-04-10, 03:04
Hi Phil, as a severe handwasher, to the point of chapped and bleeding skin, I can tell you that there are lotions out there that will last through handwashings. I am grateful for them because I can also wash up to 50 times a day easily. Look for a lotion that will stick around through a washing, it makes a world of difference.

help me 21
02-04-10, 07:27
hi phil oh my god i had severe handwashing really bad 4 yrs ago i had really bad anxiety i didnt feel real 247 7 days a week every min of the day never felt my self any way i had a thing with drugs aswell i never took drugs in my life but i fault pepole was druging me it was all in my head because i never felt real thats why i fault that every think i touch i had 2 wash my hands because i fault there was drugs on my hands and i was like oh no i best wash my hands because i had it in my head if i put my hands any where near my month i wud die i no weriod lol but it soon got bad and my hands was bleeding and really sore i had 2 wear gloves and 1 point because it got out of hand i started washing my hands in bleach every day instead of soap.. im soo glad i dont suffer with it so bad any more i got help for it.. my anxity did go away for 2 years now its come back again my anxity what i had before is the same but the hand washing ant so bad hope you feel better soon good luck hope it gets better xx leane

Lulluh
02-04-10, 19:53
I have just recently had this same thing! I was using seriously hot water and so much antibacterial soap and gel to wash my hands that I couldn't actually bend my fingers and they were cut and almost raw. I saw the G.P and she gave me some cream to put on which has seriously helped - my hands healed in about 4/5 days. It was called Dermol 500 lotion or something like that!

Rachel W
16-05-10, 23:50
I don't like lotions as I need to get everything off my hands each washing. If you are like that then your hands will get sore in the way you describe. I am not so bad now, but I have something that really helps and is simple.

Petroleum Jelly slathered on really thick and cotton gloves. Sleep with them on and in the morning you will see a huge difference. I can't promise that they won't get a little worse again during the day but if you do this every night then your hands should slowly get better. There is nothing worse than the feeling of cracking and pain every time your hands move and often creams sting. Petroleum jelly will just soothe.

Hope that this helps.

Rachel

HelenLouise
19-05-10, 21:54
Hii, i have the same problem at the moment!
I use this cream called Aqeuous cream. it doesn't sting when you put it on and you can also wash your hands in it.
I usually put it on before bed so i know i won't be washing it off within the next ten minutes. :) xxx

verity
19-05-10, 23:29
Hi Phil, have you tried CBT for your handwashing? All that washing is bound to make your skin sore, lotions will help to ease the dryness but in the longterm you will need to deal with the underlying anx. My mum has senstive skin so she uses a lotion called cetraben this is creamy and not harsh so may help in the mean time
xxx