PDA

View Full Version : breathing question

bronte
01-04-10, 23:54
hi ive just realised that lately im having to take really deep breaths every few minutes and i dont feel i am getting enough air in to my lungs what do you think it could be im worried it could be heart related

crazyhayz
02-04-10, 02:04
your hyperventilating. thats all sweetie xx

Thumbelina
02-04-10, 05:31
I had breAthing thing that lasted formonths. I was concentrating on each brethren and it was so tiringans very scary. It will go away, the moment u will be forgetting about it....

Jannie2948
02-04-10, 08:20
I also have this problem but have learnt to breathe properly. If you look on youtube there are yoga exercises to teach you to breathe correctly. They are very simple and they really work. Hope you find what you need but I've found that if you breathe in through your nose to a count of about 6 then breathe out through your mouth, pursing your lips, for a little longer count then hold it for a couple of seconds before breathing back in and just repeat for a few times then breathe normally, this usually works for me, but look on youtube and you will find it very helpful, I did. You need to feel your abdomen rising and your chest not really moving. Have a go, it does help.

I know it is very scary, I had it for days at a time and felt that I could not fill my lungs properly and had to yawn all the time to feel that I could get a breath in. If you try these breathing exercise they really are helpful.

All the very best to you, this anxiety has a lot to answer for :-)

Jannie x x

bronte
02-04-10, 17:25
thankyou all for your replies your all such a great support thanks again

jaythomas
10-06-11, 16:58
hey there, i often feel the same, as if i am having to make a conscious effort to breathe. Im sure your familiar with the massive list of symptoms on the anxiety website that comes up when you google "anxiety symptoms" and it mentions there that you might experience that. I often go back to that when im worrying about something so try doing that

xJust_Sarahx
10-06-11, 20:27
Hi :)
Dont get me started on anything relating to breathing lol! That is my main problem that causes my anxiety and the way i am now,because i am always monitoring my breathing and i feel i breathe too fast at times which panic me and cause me to breathe faster BUT i am always having to take deep breathes in and if i dont feel i get a satisfactory deep breathe i will panic and feel like im suffercating type thing.

I actually dont know how to breathe properly because i am trying to take control, even though its a natural thing but if i get out of breathe through say running up the stairs i dont open my mouth and breathe like breathlessly i will just try and take deep breathes and of course it doesnt work so i panic!

But yep i never feel like im getting much air at all!!

f4Gg0t_43
11-06-11, 01:22
I think the 'need to get more air' is actually a need to get more carbon dioxide if I'm not mistaken (which I very well could be). So the more deep breathes you take, the more you feel that need. What you need to do is try what comes unnaturally - breathe slowly. Even if it really feels like you need to take a deep breathe, don't. Just keep breathing slowly.

The thing that I used to do when this happened was just try and watch a movie or play a video game that is familiar. Take your mind off it, and onto something you know well.

jonpeter001
21-06-11, 10:28
I pretty much learned how to swim last summer using a swim coach. She told me not to blow out when my face was in the water and only exhale/inhale when my head is turned up for air. I used this method swimming through the summer and doing my first sprint tri. I've been on for the past few months about my breathing and the fact that I feel like I can't get a full lung of air. Well my husband said, you don't walk round all the time getting full lungs of air, you just take as much as you need to do what your doing, so how do you know what a full lung really is? I wouold like to ask anyone who has this symptom what they think about this, because in reality before this bout of anxiety started I probalbly rarely took such deep breaths. I have also noticed ticks with this breathing, I seem to be sniffing all the time, especially when it gets bad and as I said, I yawn alot too. Thoughts appreciated!! I've also become neurotic now of testing my breathing on my son's peak flow monitor!

(http://www.healthboards.com/boards/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2317351)

Koko
21-06-11, 18:23
Hi all, I've had this with my breathing really freaked me out. I saw a physio who told me I was overbreathing and said if in doubt breathe out. I too was taking lots of deep breathes and yawning. What you need to do is either breathe in for the count of 2 and out for 3 (which works for me) or castle breathing breathe in for 2 hold for 2 breathe out for 2 hold for 2. Also to make sure your breathing from your diaphragm not your chest ( tip if you left your arms above your head you will breathe from your diaphragm) also if you notice you are yawning a lot stifle them as you don't really need to yawn.

Hope this helps.