PDA

View Full Version : Taken me a long time to get here

Pimpernel
02-04-10, 18:29
Hi to everyone,37 year old male.
My story(hopefully i will feel better after this)
About 4 years ago I started getting these strange feelings,the first time was on an aircraft,felt like I was going to pass out,just wanted to get off the aircraft,needed air,got upset stomach and dry mouth,didnt want food.I was scared and didn't have an idea what was going on.This lasted about 1/2 hour or so.The holiday was spend feeling uneasy and a constant dry mouth.After a few beers at night I relaxed.Luckily the flight home was fine due to being fairly relaxed after a great holiday.
These symptoms developed into low feelings and no longer enjoying the normal things I used to.
Eventually I went to the doctor who said it was mild depression and anxiety.
At the time I knew nothing about anxiety and panic attacks,but when I read the leaflets all the symptoms I experienced on the aircraft made sense.That was a relief in itself.
I have battled these symptoms for the last 4 years,I can have weeks of feeling ok.I realised certain things in my life needed to change so I have changed them(difficult relationships making me sad).
Last week I went into a "low" so decided it was time to beat it for good
After all this time I have started taking citalopram ,10mg a day.
Its been 5 days now,no change but i dont expect it for 3 weeks at least.
I KNOW I can beat this for good and I will.
I still work and do my usual things just with less enjoyment and slight anxiety at times.
Strangely I do feel better for getting this off my chest,no one else knows about this apart from my doctor.
Sorry for the long essay!!

Thanks for reading

diane07
02-04-10, 18:31
Hi Pimpernel

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Ladybelle
02-04-10, 19:35
Hi and welcome :) Sometimes it helps to open up and talk but it's not easy to do. There are so many friendly people here to help and reassure.

greig
02-04-10, 20:59
Hi there and welcome

Not easy to understand this anxiety and depression but hopefully talking about it will help.
I have taken Cipralex in the past and given a couple of weeks to work, it should see you back to where you want to be.

Veronica H
02-04-10, 21:12
:welcome:Pimpernel. you will find comfort and support here.

Veronicax

beskiboo
02-04-10, 22:24
Welcome, I'm new too, so we're in the same boat!
I found that it took around 3 weeks to kick in properly, then I felt so much better! Up to 20mg now, and it's made so much difference. So just keep with them, they worked for me :)
& I know exactly what you mean that getting it off your chest makes you feel better!
x

Pimpernel
03-04-10, 10:28
Thanks for the kind words.
Getting it off my chest does help and so does reading this forum.
I am keeping going with the tablets,its a road I didnt want to go down but now I am glad I did.
thanks again everyone