PDA

View Full Version : New Member

dxbguy
02-04-10, 18:39
Hi all
I thought I would post here first before replying to any of the other posts. I have been suffering from panic attack for nearly three years. The first attacks were mild, two nights in a row - I remember they both happened as I was drifting off to sleep and I felt like I was drowning and had to gasp for breath. I did not know what panic attacks were and did not think much of what happened as they were mild. Then a week later I had my first major panic attack at about 4am - thought I was having a heart attack and staggered down 20 flights of stairs (was afraid if I got in the lift I would die!) and walked/staggered to the nearest hospital where I was given all the tests which showed nothing and given some Inderal for the palpatations.

Still did not know what had happened (I was in Hong Kong and the nurses at the hospital did not speak English) and carried on - then a week later went on holiday to Dubai, and my passport got seized for 2 months, lost my job in HK and could not leave the UAE - was having 3 major panic attacks a day, could not sleep. Eventually went home to Ireland, got checked out properly: nothing wrong with me apparently.

Went back to Dubai as I had lived there before (And HK job had gone) and started getting mild attacks every night. The sensation was of a mild burning in my chest, so that (I thought) if I relaxed I would have a heart attack. Still did not know what it was, ended up going to a doctor who referred me to a pyschiatrist who prescibed me Rivotril and Cipralex. Completely changed my diet and stopped smoking/drinking etc.

Anyways, for the past 2 years have been on this - but getting increasingly worried about being on the meds. Then 2 weeks ago I finished the Rivotril as my psychiatrist said it would be better to wean myself off them and continue with Cipralex. The last two weeks have been the mini-panic attacks again, no sleep til 5/6am or (as last night) no sleep at all so I am up 36 hours or so. I just tried to sleep and got a major attack, the biggest in a few months, hence I am here. Going to go to psychiatrist tomorrow and get more rivotril as anything is better than this.
Setting up a new business so am working from home at the moment, but that will change in 2 weeks. My exercise/diet/smoking has slipped when I was taking Rivotril, but not taking it has exposed the frailties again!

Anyways, sorry for longwinded story - I know it is all "in my head" and there is probably is a psychological reason for this, possibly due to late twenties 'fear' of not achieving anything! (am 31 now). Look forward to talking to others on here. Also if there is anyone else in Dubai, pm me:)

nomorepanic
02-04-10, 18:42
Hi dxbguy

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Brianthesnail
02-04-10, 20:55
hi dxbguy.
welcome to the web site .
brian

JT69
02-04-10, 21:25
Hi, welcome to nmp, brilliant site lots of friendly caring people who know how you are feeling and offer lots of helpful advice.

Hope you enjoy your stay.
JO.

suzy-sue
02-04-10, 22:10
HELLO AND :welcome:TO NMP ..IM SURE YOU WILL FIND THIS SITE HELPFUL AND SUPPORTIVE ..tc Sue x