PDA

View Full Version : Benefits?

mumble
02-04-10, 22:32
I'm only 21, and will be married in a month or so. However my partner is a full time student, and I am unfit to work... I have a medical note from my doctor diagnosed with anxiety disorder. I am unsure on what benefits I am entitled to - I thought I could get Incapacity? But they told me to apply for Employment and Support Allowance.

Is that all we are able to get? I'm also applying for housing and council tax benefit - however I guess my illness doesn't really affect them.

london
02-04-10, 23:08
Incapacity ben ended last year the new one is Employment Support Allowance
hope this helps you

crazyhayz
02-04-10, 23:54
Do u have kids? If not then i dont think theres any other benefits u r entitled to..

Yes its changed to ESA now, since Oct 2008. Employment Support Allowance. Its pretty much the same but the name is just different! No ur illness wont affect housing benefit/council tax benefit, u will get more 'points' on the housing list though (coz u could get medical priority points), but apparently if ur a student, u cant claim housing benefit coz the maintenance loans/grants r too high...thats if ur on about university (not college). oh and if ur a university student then u dont have to pay council tax.

My partner is a full time student at university too, but we dont live together so it doesnt affect me. but if he moved in with me, we'd have to pay full rent coz hes a student. its proper rubbish lol. But anyway, yes, fill out ur form for ESA, u r definitely entitled to it, its like £50 a week for the first 14 weeks then it goes up. Here's some info:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/disabledpeople/financialsupport/esa/index.htm

Good luck xx

mumble
03-04-10, 16:29
Thanks you guys. That makes more sense. I'll go ahead now with that then =)

Brianthesnail
03-04-10, 18:34
the way the thing works is that ,if you get out of your home to go to the shop or to do any thing for your self they will not get any thing. but you must keep all the form you get sent or copy. you must ask then if i can work then give me a agrent how dill with people how can not get in a job. one of my freind could only get to work in a car that her parnter could drive to the place of work. she could only walk about 50yd. but thay got she a job.
sorry this mite not be the answer that you some hoping for.
hope thing go well for you and your parnter too.
brian