PDA

View Full Version : Smear Test...Should I Have One?

crazyhayz
02-04-10, 23:05
Hi guys, I am 22 and have an 18month old son. I had a smear test when I was 16 as I was worried about STI's blah blah, and it was all fine. However, that was 6 years ago..! Should I be thinking of having another one? I have only been with two partners since i was 16 (my ex and my current partner) and I know i dont have any diseases or anything coz they test for everything when you are pregnant.... but im talkin about cancer.

Especially as it is on the rise in younger women and especially since the Jade Goody tragedy.. But the thing is, the NHS guidelines state that u should really be a minimum age of 25! But Jade died at 27! Im just thinking that it would make sense, seeing as i have had a baby and cancer is in my family..(not ovarian cancer but breast cancer and lung cancer is)

What does everyone else think? I just dont want to leave it then regret it if i have got something....Im not worried about it but its in the back of my mind regularly.. I get heavy periods and bleeding inbeween periods but I have the implant so it could be down to that..

suzy-sue
02-04-10, 23:24
It would put your mind at ease ,so I would speak to your Dr about it .It only takes a few mins and it will also rule out whats causing the bleeding in between your periods .I never had a smear until I was 25 either .And its not related to any other cancer so no need to worry about that .Easier said than done sometimes tho eh ? Sue x

crazyhayz
02-04-10, 23:29
Yeah it is lol. Im on the mend from my HA now, and try not to jump to conclusions, ive had so many dam tests i think the doctors are bored with me lol. Thanks for the reply, i shall book an appointment on Tuesday and see what she says. I suppose it wont do me any harm. xx cheers :)

saz2121
03-04-10, 08:02
Crazyhayz,

It's the damn implant!!! I just got mine out after 5 years last May and i had 5 years of weight gain ( 2 stone), depression and never a day without either period bleeding or spot bleeding. I had to cancel smear tests because they can't take them when you are bleeding or spotting. The implant is fine if it agrees with you but it obviously didn't with me!!

Are u happy with the implant? How long have you had it? After your baby was born?

Please dont worry about your smear, i had one last year , i'm 24 (think the rules are slightly different in Scotland???) and a couple of STI checks when i was younger, all fine.

If you really want one, i guess you could pay private for it but it's a lot of money for that probably would be a 'cells are normal' response?? Youre young and healthy with a young child, you'll be fine!! :)

Take Care

xx

crazyhayz
03-04-10, 09:33
Yeah had it after baby was born, cant trust myself with the pill lol, thats funny as i gained 2 stone and also depression! hmmm......think i might get it out and get the cervical implant, cant remember the name lol. Yeah im always spotting or bleeding, i bleed for 2-3 weeks when im 'on', then it goes and then comes back in spots light a week later!! its soooooo annoying!!!!!! the only thing the implant has been good at is period pains, i used to suffer soooooooo badly, and theyve completely disappeared since i had it put in!! I have to spk to my partner and see what he thinks, hes always said alot of my 'hormonals' could be the implant lol. Thanks for that response, im much more positive now :) xxxx

gypsywomen
03-04-10, 10:19
always keep up with them love