PDA

View Full Version : Depressed because I'm worried about the world.

lior
03-04-10, 00:23
I actually cried when I watched this:
http://www.storyofstuff.com/
It says something like: Guess how much stuff that's bought in America is still in use after 6 months? 40%? 20%? No... 1%. That's the point at which I cried. Do you know what's happening to all that other stuff? It's going in landfill. It's not being recycled.

We live in a disgustingly wasteful society and it drives me mad. I am desperate to do something about it but I am part of it. I am not a tree hugging hippy. I am not keen on the idea of not buying new clothes ever again. But increasingly I feel bad when I do things which people think of as normal...

Today we bought red peppers which are out of season. That means they will have been flown halfway across the world, and probably used lots of crazy chemicals, so there's a lot of waste and toxic gases released just because we like peppers and out of greed we want them all year round. Should we be doing this just because it's possible? I see it as abuse - abuse to natural resources and abuse of power.

And then we used plastic bags too instead of our normal fold up baskets. That's another ten plastic bags going into landfill. Imagine what we could do with all those plastic bags, if we could find a safe way of sorting through landfill sites.

As it is, in places like Mexico, barefoot children scavenge landfill sites to find things that a careless American has tossed away. This would be a good way of reusing objects, except these places are hotspots for disease, with all the rotting food and toxic waste - old fridges and washing machines can give you cancer - and there are sometimes even syringes lying about. Not a great idea to send your barefoot kid down to a landfill site if you want it to survive. But what choice do they have? They live in such poverty.

I care deeply about these issues but I don't care enough to make myself well informed enough to be able to be respected and heard. I'm not saying anything new. I'm just another student. I'm not even an activist. I'm all talk. And I'm a hypocrite, who points out that the air has been unduly polluted so we can eat these peppers, and then I eat them anyway, without enjoying them. They make me feel guilty.

I'm so young. I don't know enough about anything to do anything important. I'm not in a position to preach and yet I try anyway. I just embarrass myself. It's so much easier to just be shallow and blind myself to realities. Being a dumb blonde is the easiest life you can have. Maybe I should just dye my hair, wear nicer clothes and marry a rich man.

Certainly doesn't sound like a recipe for happiness for me. It's a cliche isn't it? Marrying a rich man who can provide for you? But I don't really care about being provided for - what would that give me? I could buy all I wanted and not be intellectually satisfied - I am the girl who feels guilty about peppers. No, I don't want a million material goods.

If everyone felt guilty about peppers, maybe greed would go out of fashion.

Wealth is such a focus in our society, and as a middle class daughter I haven't suffered. I learnt to worry about money but it's not like we stopped eating meat. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. Maybe riches are what we need to be happy. I once went out with a boyfriend who really was very poor. He was constantly worried about money - but I think he was happier than me.

If we didn't want new stuff all the time, then we wouldn't be unhappy without it. We are partly unhappy as a society because we are constantly told by TV ads that what we have is not good enough and we should get the new thing. What happens when we can't afford the new thing? And even when we can, we are on the constant lookout for the next new thing because we are left with the feeling that new is the only way to be - the only way to be happy. Consumerism is how we value ourselves. My friend wears designer clothes so she can feel better about herself next to her co-workers.

If we stopped wanting new stuff, then they would eventually stop making new stuff so quickly. If we started wanting old stuff that has been recycled or vintage objects with a new life, then there would be less waste. But we still need to address the landfill sites as they are. We can't leave them there forever. We can't ignore them. The toxins from them seep into our water supplies over time. We have to sort through them and salvage all we can. We need to find a way of doing it.

Has anyone got any information about this, or knows any good websites that can help me on my quest?

I feel alternatively so sad about it that I can't do anything, and then angry so I can. Today I am mainly sad.

guitarpants
03-04-10, 00:45
Well, first things first, addressing your anxiety, you alone aren't going to fix the problem, but you can do things to help, and make yourself feel better about it. Do not obsess over the situation. This burden is not on your shoulders alone.

I'm an American, and this problem doesn't just exist here, but everywhere and it concerns me as well. The way I handle is to just live my life how I feel it's appropriate to, I'll explain.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Old term, but it really sums it up.

Here's what I do: (I'm 29 btw)

Very little of anything I own or discard goes in the trash. I'd say a good 85% is recyclable. I recycle all that I can, and what ends up not being recyclable, is mostly biodegradable anyway so I don't feel bad about it going in a landfill. However, there are some things that you just can't do anything about, like hairdryers, which frustrates me.

Electronics I repair myself, give away, sell, or donate. There's always someone somewhere that needs something.

Old clothes I don't wear anymore get donated, ones that are getting old and ragged get re-purposed as cleaning rags or what not. Cotton is biodegradable too. I like to dress nice as well and have nice clothes, but I'm responsible with them after I'm finished with them, plus I take care of them so they last longer.

I use only biodegradable cleaning supplies. Nothing with ammonia or bleach in them as they are toxic as well.

I use rechargeable batteries. You can reuse them over and over, and once they are worn out, they are highly recyclable! (unlike throwaway alkalines).

I maintain my own vehicles, make them last as long as I can, I get a sense of pride from that. I don't go out and buy a new car every 2 years.

When shopping, I bring my own canvas bags. When I do get plastic ones, they get re-purposed as trash bags, and bags to take away the recyclables in, and they get recycled themselves.

I don't buy bottled water, I filter our tap water.

I use compact fluorescent light bulbs. When they die, I take them to get recycled, not put them in the trash (they contain mercury).

I buy organic fruits and vegetables, or I grow my own.

When I buy a home, I plan to recycle rainwater, put up a small wind turbine and solar panels. This way not only am I generating my own power, but when everyone else doesn't have electricity due to an outage, I still will.

There really are countless other things I do that have just become part of my lifestyle and as such my carbon footprint is quite small. That makes me feel good about myself.

It's true though that most people are lazy, and wasteful. If everyone just did a little bit of these things, it would make a huge difference, but it's easier and takes less time not to.

I used to live at an apartment complex where other students lived as well. When the semester (or quarter) was over, they didn't take their furniture and other things with them, they simply threw them in the dumpster. You would not believe the goldmine that turned out to be. I made hundreds of dollars off good furniture, tv's, electronics that they threw out that were perfectly fine, or I arrange for them to be picked up by a charitable company.

flumpy
04-04-10, 03:08
I'm sorry you're worried about the world but I fear you're too late. Mankind was always destined to be the author of his own demise. Accept it and you'll be happier. The snowball's too big now. And with China and India et al joining in, the world hasn't got a chance...well, the human world anyway. Don't worry about mother nature, she'll be ok...one day, the world will be rid of humans and other life will prevail.
Just enjoy while you are here and join me in laughing at the world...how can there be a GLOBAL economic crisis? Who says so? Why is prison seen as justice? Justice for whom? Etc...hahaha x
p.s. I was a diplodocus in a previous life