PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

kittykat
03-04-10, 08:53
I've been up all night suffering from pain in my right side made much worse when i breathe in.....it travels right over my back.....managed to get about 3hrs sleep have woken up with not as much pain in side but still really painful when i breathe in especially right part of backfrom top to middle....this is different from any pain ive had before as i have suffered from bad indigestion and knows what it feels like. Now my mind is imagining all sorts of scenarios.....i was thinking of going to see a doc at A&E but really dont want to be a nuisance but i cant go through another night like that.
Does anyone have any idea of what it could be or what i should do....im really worrying and just dont know what to do x

Maj
03-04-10, 08:57
It could be acid reflux, irritable bowel, gallbladder pain. If it is really painful then why don't you phone nhs direct and explain your symptoms to them and they'll direct you as to whether you need to be seen by a doctor. Sometimes when we are anxious then the pain seems worse because we are tensing up and focussing on the pain. To put your mind at rest I'd phone nhs and then you can relax a bit. I'm sure it won't be anything serious. Let us know how you get on.
Myra x

kittykat
03-04-10, 09:06
Thanks Myra , just hate bothering anyone x

kittykat
03-04-10, 09:33
ok, phoned nhs 2 and they are phoning me back with an appointment time to go see the doctor at the emergency department to get it checked out will keep u informed x

sarah jayne
03-04-10, 10:07
It could be costachondritis, i suffer from it and although its painful its not serious.
Sarah x

kittykat
03-04-10, 10:50
been and am back.....not indigestion he seems to think its from the inner muscle wall as he had a good feel and had a listen to my chest and that is clear.......says it could even be from my middle upper spine....as if ive not got enough back problems so ive to take tramadol four times a day at the moment and see how it goes and if it doesnt clear to see own doctor, thought i'd jus let you know how it went....out of curiousity what it costachondritis as i dont do google xx

shirley x

kittykat
04-04-10, 08:12
Okay, i am still in a ridiculous amount of pain middle of my back and right sided....i'm kinda scared incase the a&e doc has misdiagnosed me ......tramadol or ibuprofen aren't touching the pain....ive got this thought now that it could be my liver and im scaring myself but would that cause breathing to be difficult ......my symptoms are right sided pain , also middle back pain one sided to the right , soreness when breathing in , spasm like pain and aching plus its made worse when i lie down, sorry for bothering you guys but my imagination is getting the better of me and im even thinking it could be the big C .......just scared hes gotten it wrong x

Peter_Scott
04-04-10, 11:08
Hi OP,
The liver has no pain receptors so the liver can not hurt as such. If the liver is enlarged for some reason then yes it can cause the pain you describe, however before pain there is normally other symptoms suggestive of liver problems, AND if the Dr examined you at A&E and felt your stomach area then normally an enlarged liver can be felt below the RH rib. It sounds muscular, if the pain gets worse or does not start improving then yes it will be worth a trip to your GP.

Peter

kittykat
04-04-10, 11:33
thanks peter, the doc never felt my stomach area because ive not got the pain there just all at my right side and middle back area like spasms xx just typical tht this happens during the easter weekend and docs dont open till tuesday !!!

Geoff2301
04-04-10, 12:38
Don't worry....... I've had exactly that sort of pain with a stabbing feeling whenever I took a deep breath....... takes a few days to clear up..... strained muscles in the chest. Thought it might have been my heart at the time but the gp found it hurt when I twisted at a certain angle.... you'll probably find that!.

crazyhayz
05-04-10, 01:14
sounds either muscular or skeletal (chostochondritis ive had loadsa times and that causes realllllllllllllllllly bad chest wall pain and back pain where the lungs are sort of) But if ur worried, just go to A&E again! Tell them the pain is worse and unbearable. They should be able to test u there/scan u, but if its an mri u need, thatl need to be booked. so might takr afew days, so might keep u in, but ul prob just have a chest xray like i did when i was getting the same sort of pains, was all-clear. Just anxiety and chosto apparently. Good luck x

crazyhayz
05-04-10, 01:23
chostrochondritis is not serious. ive had it loads. it cant do ur any harm. its just inflammation in the cartilage in your ribcage. therefore affgecting ur chest and back! I took Diclofenac and painkillers from my doctor and it went away in just over a week. Unforunately im one of the unlucky ones and seem to be 'prone' to chsotochondritis so i get it quite a bit lol. i deffo think theres a linkl between anxiety and hyperventilation/chostochondritis. But dont worry, ur fine. I would go for a chest xray though. either convince ur doc or go to A&E xx

kittykat
05-04-10, 14:42
Thanks for the replies i can breathe a bit easier now and at least can lie down im still getting twinges of pain in my middle right back area though...just scared in case its lung cancer or something( haven't smoked for years and even then i was what u called a social smoker just scared in case the damage has been done ).....am going to get an appointment with my doctor asap as i really trust him and hopefully he'll be able to tell me what it is for sure x

kittykat
07-04-10, 21:30
Just an update for you all i was admitted to hospital last night with a suspected blood clot not good place for HA sufferrrer.....anyway numerous blood tests later ( which showed borderline marker for a clot) , urine samples ets and lung xray and ct scan plus a horrid night on a ward no cause can be found. The only thing that they found was some protein in the urine and am still waiting for results for that , need to go back and see gp, never had that before any thoughts could that be a urine infection as i do still have middle back pain xx

smpomeroy
07-04-10, 22:54
protein in urine - the simplest explanation for that is a urine infection and you can get some hellish bad back pain if that infection got into one of your kidneys so maybe it was a simple as that. when you say they found a 'marker' for a clot - what did you mean? they found no clot right?

Suz

kittykat
08-04-10, 09:52
No they didn't find a clot .....it was just one of my blood results were borderline and they thought it better to play it safe so gave me a ct scan of my lungs.....which would have shown if a clot had formed . The treatment was simple enough i would have been put on warfarin for approx 6 mths but thank goodness that didnt happen , so now im hoping that this dull achey pain ive been left with on right side of middle back is a different problem maybe caused by a urine infection but will have to wait for the results of test, but im so glas to be home :yesyes:

Peter_Scott
08-04-10, 11:29
Sorry to hear you are going though all this stuff. It does sound like a urine infection, this could also account for the back pain. If you have protein in your urine then normally a antibiotic is persribed as a matter of course. Are you talking about a clotting rate test, is this why they say borderline, do you have the numbers? Even though you may not feel up to it, try to keep active without over doing it and see your GP about the kidney infection,

Peter

kittykat
08-04-10, 13:38
No they never mentioned anything like that but that sounds like that's what it could be, they've never even gave me antibiotics for an infection but i am seeing my own doc on tuesday so im just drinking plenty of clear fluid at the moment to try and flush anything out .

shirley x

Peter_Scott
08-04-10, 16:15
Try Cranberry juice, go for the good stuff some of the cheap ones have very little benefit, and if you like garlic then that may help.

Peter