PDA

View Full Version : Worried about my weight

Purple Fish
03-04-10, 15:22
Hi there,
I`m worrying about my weight. I did a bmi test on line and i`m classed as over weight as it came up as 26.6.
:-(

It`s suppose to be between 18-25 to be healthy. I can`t help it but I love eating! I exercise loads too though!

The worst thing of all though is that my son who is 11 is classed as over weight as I had a letter today cos the school measured his height and weight as part of the government keeping track and it showed up on a chart.

I wont tell him though as I dont want him worrying about it.

Isn`t it stupid he is only 11 he can grow taller and even things out, you see he isn`t very tall for his age.

Do you think that the government have to be seen to be doing something because of the obesity in this country?

The scarey thing is that they say if youre overweight youre more likely to develop diabetes, cancer, heart disease etc
Talk about putting the frightners on you!!!!
I know lots of people who have had cancer and they`re not over weight.

I don`t want to spend my time worrying about all this!!

Tanya xx

Onwards & Upwards
03-04-10, 15:28
Cut out refined carbs and sugar! Basic golden rule, carbs are bad news!

Fill up on veg and meat, meat and more meat! :yesyes:

Cell block H fan
03-04-10, 15:35
Hi there,
I`m worrying about my weight. I did a bmi test on line and i`m classed as over weight as it came up as 26.6.
:-(

It`s suppose to be between 18-25 to be healthy. I can`t help it but I love eating! I exercise loads too though!

The worst thing of all though is that my son who is 11 is classed as over weight as I had a letter today cos the school measured his height and weight as part of the government keeping track and it showed up on a chart.

I wont tell him though as I dont want him worrying about it.

Isn`t it stupid he is only 11 he can grow taller and even things out, you see he isn`t very tall for his age.

Do you think that the government have to be seen to be doing something because of the obesity in this country?

The scarey thing is that they say if youre overweight youre more likely to develop diabetes, cancer, heart disease etc
Talk about putting the frightners on you!!!!
I know lots of people who have had cancer and they`re not over weight.

I don`t want to spend my time worrying about all this!!

Tanya xx

My BMI is a bit more than yours, about 27 at the moment. I am active too, I am running round a supermarket for about 4 hours a day 4 times a week. But there is lots of food to try! lol
I'm now calorie counting. I can have about 1200 a day. Lost 2lb in nearly 2 weeks. So its going slow, but atleast in the right direction.
I still eat goodies, just have to incorperate it into the calories.
There is a free site you could join thats good for weight loss & health tips.
www.sparkpeople.com (http://www.sparkpeople.com)
xxxx

Catalyst
03-04-10, 15:39
The high processed sugary foods are the biggest culprits. Something to do with giving you a quick boost, but then your blood sugars drop very quickly after a short time, making you hungry again = vicious circle! I don't fully understand it all, but I'm a real 'foodie' & hate dieting too.

As for your son - I know exactly what you mean about the school measuring thing. My son was only a lb away from being overweight on their chart. Made me quite cross, cos he is no way too big for his age / height. I actually saw a news article about this on BBC recently http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/8523707.stm (you're not alone on that one!)

marley
03-04-10, 15:41
Too much meat has a whole world of its own problems and has been linked to all types of digestive issues.

Any nutritionist or doctor will tell you the same thing - keep a balanced diet. Without too much of ANY one thing. The fact that you enjoy food will make it easier for you to experiment - find ways to make the foods you love healthier. See if you can involve your son in the cooking process and get him interested in the things he's eating (I know this is easier said than done... boys that age are hard to keep still... let alone cooking!)

The other golden rule is to eat smaller portions. Eating multiple meals about the size of your hand is better for your digestion and energy stores. It will also ensure that you're not going to bed with lots of food sitting unused in your stomach.

Incidental exercise is great - you DON'T need a personal trainer, or even to go to the gym to benefit... walking to the shops, even kicking a ball around with friends will help you get moving and won't feel like torture. Stretching in the morning is another way to get your muscles warmed and ready to go for the day.

Cell block H fan
03-04-10, 15:47
The high processed sugary foods are the biggest culprits. Something to do with giving you a quick boost, but then your blood sugars drop very quickly after a short time, making you hungry again = vicious circle! I don't fully understand it all, but I'm a real 'foodie' & hate dieting too.

As for your son - I know exactly what you mean about the school measuring thing. My son was only a lb away from being overweight on their chart. Made me quite cross, cos he is no way too big for his age / height. I actually saw a news article about this on BBC recently http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/8523707.stm (you're not alone on that one!)

Isn't that atricle crazy!
They would have a field day with my 2 teens. My son is only just into normal BMI, but the lowest safe amount, he is thin. My daughter who is 13 has a BMI of about 14. I have her on Build up shakes at the moment because she is way too thin & such a fussy eater. And i'm sure its why she hasn't started her periods yet, although I know its still early days & not classed as late.
But no one has said a thing from the school!
That little girl in the article is perfect size. I would be happy if my daughter was that size. Taller obviously lol

Purple Fish
03-04-10, 15:54
Just checked out that link. So glad I`m not alone!! I`m not going to worry too much it`s ridiculous.

Life`s too short! My son is active he plays football twice a week and is in an after school sport`s club!

Flippin` eck!!!

Brianthesnail
03-04-10, 18:40
worrying about your and son weight is only make thing harder for you too.
you are you and that is how you are.
I can say that as i am over weight ,I am not over come sir of my weight i am just me and me is me.
hope this help not to worry about your weight.
brian

sandy35
04-04-10, 11:50
I started dieting in January after getting to my heaviest weight ever which was 13 stone 5 pounds and Im only 5 ft. I am now 12 stone 3 pounds and my bmi says 33 so I am still obese and Ive got a long way to go. I started dieting on my own for two weeks and just cut down on chips, chocolate etc and now im on the slimming world diet. Maybe going to one of the slimming clubs or going out for a walk or swimming may help if you want to lose a few pounds. Im only trying to help but Im probably not the person to advise you being very overweight myself.

Purple Fish
04-04-10, 12:00
Hi all, thanks for keeping this going as I think it`s a concern to alot of people!

I have joined slimming clubs in the past and wasted lot`s of money on them as they are obviously not for me. I do lot`s of exercise, I`ve been going to the gym now for nearly a year and I have stuck to it, I also walk/cycle everywhere so the exercise side of things isn`t a problem for me it`s the food!!! I am definately an emotional eater!!

Tanya xx

SueBee
04-04-10, 13:00
I don't think you should be worrying about your weight at all Fishy. If you are active, walk/cycle and go to the gym then you'll have far more muscle than the average person. Muscle weighs more than fat, therefore giving you a false rading when you do the BMI test.

I once read that if the average rugby player did an online test, their reading would come back as morbidly obese because of their muscle mass and the test assumes the majority of weight you have is fat not muscle.

As for your son, again, as long as he's active and has a balanced diet, there isn't a great deal you can do. Any more than that I think will alert him to a possible problem with his weight and do more harm in the long run.

My youngest son was quite over weight at about your sons age and nothing we did made him lose an ounce. He was active, always out playing football etc so it wasn't lack of excercise that made him retain the weight. As soon as he got to about 15, he started losing weight quite rapidly so I think it was probably hormonal. I'm sure this will happen to your son too :)

Take care,

Sue xxx