PDA

View Full Version : Going to the cinema, any advice ?

JonnyUK
03-04-10, 21:51
I haven't been to the cinema in 7 years, as on the last movie I saw the music gave me bad anxiety and at one point there was a loud build up of music that sent my hair on end and I felt like a startled cat, a real horrible feeling.

Well, someone in my family is desperate to see the new movie Clash of the Titans in 3D. They can't find anyone to go with and said they will go on their own. I can't let them do this really, and part of me wants to go to stop all this silliness about not going just because of something that happened 7 years ago.

But I am worried about a few things, one is the 3D and if this is going to effect me more than 2D and also if there is any music build up in it. I am sure it will have lots of dramatic music, as it is an action film, but as long as it doesn't have build up (such as the end of the Saw films with a twist reveal, etc) then I will probably, touch wood, be okay. Same goes for the trailers before it.

I know this sounds a totally ridiculous thing to be concerned about, but even at home on the TV I get the startled frozen feeling when music builds up. I hate it and have no idea why it happens to me. I can cope with horror and scary scenes, etc, but make music get faster and faster and louder and my ticker can't cope.

So for starters, has anyone seen Clash of the Titans, and if so, what was the music like ? Secondly, does 3D make anxiety issues worse ?

Thanks for any advice :)

phil06
03-04-10, 22:02
My first panic attack was in the cinema and I was that anxious I was took to hospital. Suffered really bad breathing and it turned out to be anxiety but managed to go back to the cinema lots since that was give years ago.

Tips:

*Stay in the situation.
*Think about the film, you really want to see it, enjoy it focus on that.
*Avoid caffeine drinks like cola as they may bring on anxiety.
*Don't let it beat you if it does you can always go back for a second showing of the film.
*Music wise you could always cover your ears, similar to if there's a bit you don't want to see look away ect..
*Remember there's exits and stuff I use to worry about being stuck in there.
*Try last it out then you may not worry for future films.

Never seen a 3D film but heard about headaches but it's normal and shold cause you no harm. There's always 2D showings if you find 3D films are not for you.

unspoken
03-04-10, 22:15
I also find the cinema can make me anxious. My local cinema is up a load of escalators really high up and I get vertigo before I've even got to the screen. Take/buy a bottle of water (take it if you can as it costs around £2.25 for a little bottle at my local!).

I saw Avatar in 3D because my friends wanted to and I didn't want to be alone for 3 hours in a strange city. I suffer motion sickness very easily and suffered from a 3D simulation of a forest at university. I actually took travel sickness meds before seeing Avatar because I was anxious about it. This shouldn't be necessary for most people though.

If you find the 3D effects too much, take the glasses off for a bit or close one eye and things will stop being 3D. I don't think it's as realistic and 'in your face' as they suggest anyway. I know what you mean about tense music, it makes me tense too. I know nothing about this film but remember that no one will know if you close your eyes when it gets tense. It would be easier if you could go and see a 2D comedy or something before you try a 3D film. Also remember, as Phil says, you can walk out any time you like. Sit on the end of the row so you can easily get up if you want to.

jill
03-04-10, 22:32
Hi hun :D:hugs:

Your worries alone are going to feed your anxiety hunny :hugs:I know this is dame hard for you and my heart goes out to you :hugs: but the more you worrie about what might be, the more you programme into your mind it will be.

You CAN, with time, LEARN to take the label you have put on the music, you are blaming the music for your panic, anxiety, from a bad memorie, hunny, PLEASE, PLEASE don't do this to yourself, the past is the past and this may not happen.

You can, at home, do exposure therapy with yourself, learn some reasuring statement and exposure yourself to music or music you think bothers you. THIS CAN be worked on hun AND exposure therapy with CBT (learning to change the way you think, reasuring statments) learning to enjoy this type of music with buid up.

There is a possabilaty you are getting your signals mixed up when listening to this type of music, built up music can trigger an excitment in us, but when you are acute, we missunderstand the signals and we think, ohhh noooo panic. YOU CAN WORK ON THIS HUN.

I have not seen the film, but went to see Avatar 3D. NOW, I am panic, high anxiety free because of this great site. I went to see this film twice and FOR ME, it did have some effect, BUT THAT WAS ME HUN, this may not happen to you, I will explane...

The first time, after the film, I became off balance, this was just for a few seconds, never bothered me. I thought it was funny:roflmao:

The second time around, in one of my eyes, I had a blind spot, NOT the normal one everyone has, there was a defo, blind spot where if I looked at hubby or the tv, I just could not see a small part, this lasted for about an hour, then went.

I do find it very strang, did this have anything to do with anxiety, Mmmm me don't think so. I thought the film was GREAT and I WOULD go see it again in 3D. :yesyes: LOVE 3D movies, my sis does not suffer anxiety and she says 3D movies effect her,

The hardest thing for you to understand right now is, its NOT the music thats an issue, its how you are reacting to it.

GO HUN, you will have a great time, challenge yourself, YOU know you can do this, :hugs:

Remember, its not the doing, its the taking part, NO matter what happens, YOU DID IT, :yesyes: Alaways remember too hun, its the little things that count when learning to recover, its the trying and even if you don't secced, don't be to hard on yourself, try again. BE KIND TO YOURSELF:hugs:

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XX

lazyt2010
05-04-10, 00:25
i suffer from going to see films . i had a panic attack wacthing one i went with my mates and remember sitting there trying to think of a way of getting out of there without letting my mates know that im haveing a attack . i was thinking what if i faint or make myself look stupid. but i just told myself that my panic will be over soon and i will miss this good film . and with that i got over my attack wacthed the whole film loved it . i was still walking and talking after. its very hard to control a panic attack if you keep thinking what ifs.... try thinking you wont faint ,die go mad , and that it will fade very soon. wen i have my attacks i think that i am going to die . i am coming to terms with my attacks now i know that no one has never died from them and that they cant harm you in any way shape or form . so i think you should go and see your film in 3d it will be cool and 3d is very good so it wil take your mind off of haveing an attack .